Ok, please STOP IT on the "let Jake Long walk" nuttery... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ok, please STOP IT on the "let Jake Long walk" nuttery...

Franchising Long would be like walking on to the Ferrari lot and paying top dollar for a Ferrari with a rebuilt title.

While I'm against letting Jake just walk I'm against overpaying him as well. It might be time to let Long test the market but the guys who make the big bucks will make that decision.

I can think of 15,365,952 reasons why to let Jake Long walk. That would be the number against the salary cap next year if Miami places the franchise tag on him.

If the powers that be let Jake walk or not then I'm good either way. I occasionally read that da Bears might offer him incredible amounts of cash.

Should Jake move on, the answer is already on the roster. Martin @ LT and Yeatman (he must still be around for a reason) at RT.

p.s. As far as WV's post (#30). Yawn. I'll be back in January after Melty Ice still hasn't won a playoff game.

I dont know which is funnier. Essentially paying a RT 15 mil or expecting him to take less then 15 mil if he has a good year after being franchised. You do realize paying a RT 15 mil is absurd. Hell paying a LT 15 mil is ridiculous. More then 10 percent if the cap on a guy that is not a playmaker.
You suggested even if Martin "rocks" at LT you would still tag him which is why I brought up how absurd it is to tag him and let him play LT. Again, thats absurd. If Martin is the future you clear Long off the books now while you have a huge amount of money and draft picks.

The thing about Jake Long is that he has never been great. People just placed that title on him because of his draft status. He has always been a good run blocker who could handle mediocre defensive ends in pass protection. The moment you put a good speed rusher opposite of him he becomes mediocre. Put a speed rusher with a another good move it's all over.

Many scouts thought of Long as a right tackle coming out of college. He was never a real good athlete. Now after all his injuries, he's purely a right tackle type. And you sure as hell don't pay a right tackle 11+ million per season.

Sign a RT FA or 2nd rounder RT. Allow Martin to get stronger in the offseason and play LT.

Trent Williams is making 14 million ,Joe Thomas is making almost 13 million,Jordan Gross 11.5 million,
and NONE of the players on that list will be getting a contract in that range

Sign Sebastian Vollmer to a 2 million a year contract to play right tackle and in a bind can also play LT

Hell, Clady at 7 million a season plus a stud wide receiver can still be had for less than Long's $15.36 million franchise tag

You do realize contracts get bigger every year. Before the ink dries on the newest huge contract someone is ready to sign the next big one. So to compare contracts sometimes makes zero sense.

Do you not understand $15 mil keeps us from closing several of those holes?? We can pay a FA LT and two more players for $15 mil that we are wasting on a average LT with the "injury prone" tag. I like Jake and hope he gets a great offer, but this is business and either he takes a small 6-7 mil per yr for 3-4 yrs or he will be playing elsewhere next year. No way we can afford to tag him. This isn't monopoly money, 15 mil is 15 mil and Ross just isn't that stupid.

No he does not. Anyone who thinks we should keep Long doesnt understand 1) What a good player does and how a good player plays, 2) salaries do effect the roster.

No, it doesn't. We have more than enough cap space "and some". $45-$52mil. And if he doesn't return to Pro Bowl form, he comes off the books and frees up $15mil in 2014. And I'm still waiting for this "mystery" middle of the road FA LT we are supposed to sign instead of Long...:idk:

33u3bsi-1.jpg

You just do not get it do you.

Sign a RT FA or 2nd rounder RT. Allow Martin to get stronger in the offseason and play LT.

And waste a 2nd round pick that can be used on a higher priority when you can push that to next off season? That's insane.

Back
Top Bottom