Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future

fin-atic said:
I agree a great back does make everyone better. But I think when you have a great line it makes all the backs better. Like Denver's system, and Pittsburgh. If Brown bombs (and some think he will) or if he gets injured then what? By only improving that one position it kinds of puts your eggs in one basket. Without Brown we are the same team offensively as last year.

Every team is one key injury away from being sshhittyy

i think we still go oline, elton brown at our #3 tomorrow, although hawthorne would be great too and i don´t care if we go D again

I know this is probably not going to be well received; but part of the TRUE genius of drafting BPA; is that aging , high cap number players MAY become expendable/tradeable. Suddenly; not only are you not throwing away future draft picks in desperation(A.J Feeley/L.Gordon); you can actually aquire EXTRA picks. IMHO, next year will be the year for our next franchise QB and LT. While I admit this draft has not played out the way I thought it would; I am very pleased with the direction we are headed as a francise! Remember; Rome was not...you know the rest! ;)

Guys I hear you, IF all the defensive moves are homeruns the defense will be great. But we have been there before haven't we? Great defense, crappy offense?

I am not questioning how good the defeive picks are. The question is have we resolved our team weaknesses this off season? Offensively it is very doubtful.

MikeO said:
we didn't have one of the better defenses in the league. That is a myth.

Correct!!! and the reason we never got any further than we did is because Wanny never addressed our need for depth....especially at linebacker and O- line.....we have 10 O lineman that have a chance to start - can you tell me the last time that was the case??? It has always been 6.....same thing at backer....we needed Dline help and Linebacker help in the worst way!!! We still need a D tackle in fact. Our 2 greatest needs are now WR and DL.....followed by LT (which we wont find one that can play right away) and QB (which is a crap shoot .... and we wont find one to play right away either).....we have already improved as much as we could have in one offseason. Miami will make the playoffs next year.

fin-atic said:
Guys I hear you, IF all the defensive moves are homeruns the defense will be great. But we have been there before haven't we? Great defense, crappy offense?

I am not questioning how good the defeive picks are. The question is have we resolved our team weaknesses this off season? Offensively it is very doubtful.

We have taken offensive player in the 1st round the past 2 years. Not to mention trade O-Gun for an offensive player. The offense isn't being ignored

MikeO said:
Every team is one key injury away from being sshhittyy
Tell Denver, Philly, and Pittsburgh that. they win regardless of who gets hurt.

afishfan said:
Correct!!! and the reason we never got any further than we did is because Wanny never addressed our need for depth....especially at linebacker and O- line.....we have 10 O lineman that have a chance to start - can you tell me the last time that was the case??? It has always been 6.....same thing at backer....we needed Dline help and Linebacker help in the worst way!!! We still need a D tackle in fact. Our 2 greatest needs are now WR and DL.....followed by LT (which we wont find one that can play right away) and QB (which is a crap shoot .... and we wont find one to play right away either).....we have already improved as much as we could have in one offseason. Miami will make the playoffs next year.

Guys this just isn't true. Statistically we were one of the best in the league until this year and the injuries. The biggest problem our defense has had in the last five years is that the offense can't get them a breather for five minutes and get them off the field.

Guys Houck won't throw one block this year. I saw many players just get beat man to man. You are expecting this guy to create miracles.

We rebuilt the OL last year. The talent is there (IMO and apparently, Saban's and Houck's as well), the problem is that they need to learn to work together. Saban said that the OL is an area that can be developed. The rest of the offense has young skill position players. That's why Bates said that we needed more help on D than on O. I still see QB as a problem, but I didn't see anyone (after Smith was gone) that would be the solution. So, I don't see that we could have done much more on O than we did.

fin-atic said:
No. its fact. We had a top five defense in 2003. 2004 we were decimated by injuries at the tackle position and that caused us to suffer against the run. But Chester and Bowens return this year.

Even if you believe we had a medicore defense, there is no doubting we had a terrible offense. So those problems have to be solved. When and how?

We will run a 3-4 eventually. THe core of every great 3-4 is many, many good LB's. Look at the large number of good LB's New England, Pittsburgh and Baltimore have had the last several years. THa'ts what saban is building. I think it's been a great draft.

I think the Matt Roth pick pretty much tells us Carter is moving inside and how much can we count on Timbo coming back. Also another thing is that our defense has always had problems picking up more complicated systems (remember when J Bates tried to put in a little more zone coverage in) and Chowder apparently is famous for Football smarts, so that right there could make him a starter over Spragan, and then we would also have a very good back up. Matt Roth is one of thowse guys with a huge motor, one of thos e that never ever quit, and that is something this D needs.

In terms of Offense, we can always improve. But I feel we will be fine, we are young on offense, we can only get better.

Back
Top Bottom