Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future

We got Ronnie Brown, Stockar McDougle, and Heath Evans as new starters, maybe Frerrote. We also got Cook OG in FA, a potential good backup.

Tomorrw I hope we get a center or WR.

Will

i think we did well and can still pick up a lineman or 2 in the rest of the draft

KB21 said:
Ronnie Brown improves this offense more than a lot of people realize. He instantly helps the line get better with his running style and his ability to pick up the blitz. He helps AJ Feeley by giving him an outlet. He helps the receivers by forcing the safeties into the box. This is why taking him made so much sense.
Totally agree KB...
The amount of upside this kid will bring will be unmeasurable...
I also think the Roth pick will become a 2nd round steal!

Marino1983

MikeO said:
we didn't have one of the better defenses in the league. That is a myth.

We have the worst OFFENSE in the league. That is a FACT.

It rose up to be #29 just because we managed to play SF and Cleveland.

We NEED OFFENSE. We NEED a REAL QB.

dolphingator said:

There were no REAL QB's in this draft. Ronnie Brown isn't offense? We don't have more picks tomorrow? Heath Evans isn't offense? Stocker McDougal isn't offense? WOW.

We have a TE and WR. We now have a RB. We have 2 decent QB's. The offense is coming along. This isn't a quick fix here. It's a 2-3 year process. It's not about getting NEW guys its about getting the RIGHT guys

fin-atic said:
I agree a great back does make everyone better. But I think when you have a great line it makes all the backs better. Like Denver's system, and Pittsburgh. If Brown bombs (and some think he will) or if he gets injured then what? By only improving that one position it kinds of puts your eggs in one basket. Without Brown we are the same team offensively as last year.

We're no where near the same offense as last year. Last year we were run by Ferrster or whoever the hell you spell his name. We had chaos in the offensive chemistry. We had an absolutely horrible o-line coach and scheme.

Saban upgraded the offense the second he hired Houck and Linehan. Just a new scheme that isn't designed to run Ricky Williams up the middle 40 times a game even AFTER he retired will improve us to an average offense at worst.

Last year's pathetic offensive showing was an abjuration that is the culmination of Wanny's absolute and complete ineptitude at putting together an offensive philosphy and the coaching staff to execute it.

That's right, our offensive woes last year IMO were 75% coaching. We've got the talent to be a very good passing team. We have for a few years now. Wanny's handcuffing and conservative "don't loose" approach has hidden this. We've got Chambers, Booker, McMike, Gilmore, and even a few decent young WRs. AJ Feeley has a very good arm, and IMO projects rather well to a vertical offense that Linehan will want to run.

Our questions on offense last year were OL and RB mostly. Ronnie Brown makes both better in many ways. Brown is an excellent blocking back, and will give AJ more time on passing throws. Instant OL upgrade. Ronnie Brown can run over people between the tackles, and has the blazing speed to take it outside. Brown also has very, very good hands providing AJ a saftey valve on plays that he is pressured. Brown's recieving skills also prevent teams from just stacking 8 or 9 in the box against us as well. Both of those factors make the OL better by giving AJ an outlet to prevent sacks, and the forced throws that resulted in so many pick-6 plays.

The OL itself is an enigma, IMO. Wise's inneptitude at coaching the young guys became more and more evident over the years. Wise made his reputation on a veteran line with many, many talented players in his Cowboys years. Give the man average or even "good" players... or worse young players, and he showed that all he could accomplish was the steady decline of the O-Line. His scheme was confusing, ineffective, and set up anyone but a world class OL player for failure.

Houck in contrast has a reputation of being one of the top 2 OL coaches in the entire league. He has a knack for taking young linemen and turning them into very reliable starters. The OL won't be world class, sure... but I have every reason to believe they will be more than servicable.

The defense, while very good for a long time, is on a steady decline relative to the increasing age of our stars. This decline was evident last year, injuries or no. Our entire D went to crap because our 2 DL guys were out? Maybe, but I doubt it.

In summary, our offense is young and has a larger amount of talent then last year would indicate. Our defense, however, is ever aging and the replacements we have signed are quite obviously only stop-gap measures. The defense is being rejuvinated, and it is being transformed from a somewhat vanilla don't break defense into an agressive, smash-mouth, in-your-face, game changing monster.

Needless to say, I'm LOVING it.

I don't mind our defensive picks, however, if our offense is not significantly better then it's not going to matter one bit... You could have an All-Pro Defense, but if they are on the field all day due to an inept offense then they are bound to give up points... Hopefully, our offense will be balanced enough and is able to keep our defense fresh

Don't forget we could make late round trades for OL later on to and pick up some cuts along the way. I think they are willing to see what a new offensive & blocking system will do first with some low $$ guys and then go from there.

I definately want to spend our 1st next year on that nice crop of LT's entering the draft. I also would like to spend our 5th rounder on Brown or Carter at Center if they can make it till then.

If we can't get DT Hawthorne with our 4th then I'll gladly say grab a center. I have a feeling our 7th will be Houck's personal choice also.

dolphingator said:

I agree. Everyone keeps trying to sell me the defense. The question is what makes the TEAM better?

So if the defense goes from being #15 to #5, but the offense only goes form #30 to #25, are we going to win more games?

By contrast if the defense stays at # 15 and the offense goes from #30 to #15, do we win more games? I think the answer is yes, a lot more.

The team has got to get better as a whole.

KB21 said:
Drafting based on need is something that will no longer happen in Miami. We are drafting the best player available. From what I've read and heard, Nick Saban wasn't high on the offensive linemen in this draft. He doesn't see value with them, and they probably feel a lot better about guys like Vernon Carey, Stockar McDougle, John St. Clair, Jeno James, and Damion McIntosh than many of the fans do. If there was a lineman that Hudson Houck thought could help this team, I'm sure he would have been in Saban's ear.

It's refreshing to see that we are taking the best players available. By doing it this way, we got ourselves a future All-Pro linebacker in the third round.

I am of the opinion no team drafts by BPA. I like the selections today but I do wonder about rebuilding a defense when the offense was pathetic last year. I don't think Vonnie Holliday will make the roster but I also don't think Matt Roth will start and I think a 2nd rd pick should start on a 4-12 team. Crowder is interesting because if he's healthy he'll be a good player IMO, but that's a big if. To get back to my point on the BPA arguement, teams take the best player that can help them, not the best player available IMO, unless you're the Detroit Lions.

fin-atic said:
I agree. Everyone keeps trying to sell me the defense. The question is what makes the TEAM better?

So if the defense goes from being #15 to #5, but the offense only goes form #30 to #25, are we going to win more games?

By contrast if the defense stays at # 15 and the offense goes from #30 to #15, do we win more games? I think the answer is yes, a lot more.

The team has got to get better as a whole.

Have we not upgraded at RB, FB, O-Line, and maybe QB if Gus wins the job???? What offseason are you people paying attention too.

If we go from 15-5 and 30-25 I will take it. Improve on both sides of the ball, christ easier said than done! Would you rather improve 10 spots on offense but fall back 7 spots on defense? LOL, won't win much doing that. Just staying status quo

zeke0123 said:
D Bowens is history K Carter is going to move inside and M Roth will be a Day one starter and Im Pretty sure Crowder can play outside and we have and ancient hall of famer and a qustion mark at both OLB positions.

I agree with you 100%

I don't want to beat this to death. So I am dropping out. I support Saban, and I hope that a coach (Houck) can make the difference you guys think. We didn't have a very good offense when we had Norv Turner who many consider one of the best offensive minds in the game. Why? Talent void.

Lets see how the rest of the draft goes, and what happens in camp.

fin-atic said:
I don't want to beat this to death. So I am dropping out. I support Saban, and I hope that a coach (Houck) can make the difference you guys think. We didn't have a very good offense when we had Norv Turner who many consider one of the best offensive minds in the game. Why? Talent void.

Lets see how the rest of the draft goes, and what happens in camp.

Talent has been upgraded. Just look around our new depth chart.

fin-atic said:
I am trusting Saban. Really I am. But I think I am curious about fans thoughts on the following:

1. Ronnie Brown-Considered by most the best back in the draft. Great pick.

2. Roth-We aquired Carter and Holiday. We have Chester, Bowens, Taylor and other Bowens. Roth can join the rotation, but there were some real offensive line help there. There is no denying that we need help on OLine so did we miss the chance to solve a problem?

3. Crowder-Potentially great LB. But we have Thomas, Seau, Pope, Moore Ayanbejado, and Bua. Was this our biggest need?

We had one of the better defenses in the league. The only problem we had last year was against the run, which was understandable with injuries to Bowens and Chester. The year prior when they were healthy we ranked 3rd against the run.

But what about the offense?? Brown will be an impact. But even he needs blocking. We defintely need another WR. It just feels nervous to bypass all of this and keep picking defense. Thats what we have always done. And what it has proven is if you neglect one side of the ball it can hurt. I know I will hear the BPA comment, but sooner or later you have to fix the problems and that means you have to upgrade the players.

Now before I get flamed, I am not down on what we have done. I am committed to trusting Saban unless he does not succeed. I would like an intelligent exchange about these issues because I think they are legitimate questions and I think many fans are asking them.
One thing you need to keep on mind is that our defence as good as you think they are, have been melting down every year in december and I think part of that is that we've have some smaller players. Saban wants bigger players on defence and he's getting them.Bowens is on his last year most likely. Chester is coming back from a bad injury. Carter's not a kid anymore.We got a guy(Roth) that has a motor that never stops and should have been a 1st round pick. Same thing with Crowder. If he stays healthy, he'll be a probowler.Yes I want us to draft some offence too and I think we'll do that tomorrow. We just need to be a little patient. We started the day with only 3 picks on day one.We took 1 great player on offence and 2 on defence. Is not like we had 6 picks today and used them all on defence.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom