Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Okay, lets talk realisticly about the future

MikeO said:
Have we not upgraded at RB, FB, O-Line, and maybe QB if Gus wins the job???? What offseason are you people paying attention too.

If we go from 15-5 and 30-25 I will take it. Improve on both sides of the ball, christ easier said than done! Would you rather improve 10 spots on offense but fall back 7 spots on defense? LOL, won't win much doing that. Just staying status quo
I think we don't know. None of these offensive upgrades are without question. Mcdougal major questions, cook major questions. FB? Very questionable. Ferotte a perennial backup.

Lets see what happens.

fin-atic said:
Guys Houck won't throw one block this year. I saw many players just get beat man to man. You are expecting this guy to create miracles.

no
clear.gif

yes i believe Houck will do miracles. Look at his track record.

This isn't a one year plan...

its not going to get fixed right away (which is why I would have waited on the rb by the way) but I don't think you can argue with what Saban has done thus far today...to me...he got three very good prospects. I love Brown...just not him or any rb at #2...Roth is a beast and the right pick in the middle of the 2nd round...Crowder is that bigger linebacker that works for Saban's scheme...Let's put it this way....in the Sporting News Draft Magazine that came out in March...all three guys were first round rated...

Now things change...but that is still impressive.

Well this draft has been kind of disappointing in a way. We still are drafting more defense than offense. Granted i love the fact that we drafted Matt Roth. being from Iowa i love him. He is an animal if you ever watched him he is good. He can play linebacker also. But I think we need lots of offensive help. More than defense. I thought we could get by with what we already had for defense since we had already addressed the d in free agency. I would have loved to see a QB or a wide receiver taken with 2nd and 3rd picks. Rather than defense. Well maybe tomorrow we get back to offense and at least either get a decent offensive lineman or a widereceiver.

Anyways I still like the Roth Pick. But as for Crowder I think we should have gotten back to offensive side before picking up more defense. Oh well maybe tomorrow will look better offensively.

fin-atic said:
I am trusting Saban. Really I am. But I think I am curious about fans thoughts on the following:

2. Roth-We aquired Carter and Holiday. We have Chester, Bowens, Taylor and other Bowens. Roth can join the rotation, but there were some real offensive line help there. There is no denying that we need help on OLine so did we miss the chance to solve a problem?

David Bowens will be cut because he won't take a pay cut from the $1.9 million he is scheduled to make. Tim Bowens' back is still not right and I expect he will have to retire. Carter and Holliday are two-year solutions. Roth brings youth, a high-octane motor, a mean streak, and at least a four-year contract.

fin-atic said:
3. Crowder-Potentially great LB. But we have Thomas, Seau, Pope, Moore Ayanbejado, and Bua. Was this our biggest need?

Seau is done after this season. Pope and Moore are too small to make the transition to the 3-4. Ayanbadejo is a special teamer only. Bua has been moved to strong safety, where he'll backup Tebucky Jones.

I know everyone was down on the offensive linemen, but I think a lot of the problem was they did not know who they were supposed to block. There were so many plays that made Seth look much worse than he is when the man he thought the guard would get was not blocked and he tried to pick them up. Just having a scheme that fits them will make Miami's offensive line better.

Everyone who's opinion I respect of the Miami Dolphins said defense was a bigger need. Looks like Saban is now in that category. I will see if I respect his opinion after he brings some wins :).

Also remember before Bates left he said the defense needs more work than the defense and he is right. We are too old on defense and have no players really to step up and take their spots. Eddie Moore will probably be gone, Bua is at safety now. Leaves us with two over 30 linebackers, one 2nd year LB and a decent OLB in Spragan and Ayanbadejo who might also be cut. Not a whole lot of depth. Saban is preparing for the future, which Wanny never did.

At Bate's(who I respect alot) last press conference last year he said it may sound surpring but the defense needs help, he's overseen this group of players for years so HE saw something that needed to be fixed soon, and now with Saban going with these guys he obviously sees something also...

^^^^^^^^^^^I type too slow...

motioncityhifi said:
Also remember before Bates left he said the defense needs more work than the defense and he is right. We are too old on defense and have no players really to step up and take their spots. Eddie Moore will probably be gone, Bua is at safety now. Leaves us with two over 30 linebackers, one 2nd year LB and a decent OLB in Spragan and Ayanbadejo who might also be cut. Not a whole lot of depth. Saban is preparing for the future, which Wanny never did.

Saban is still going to need cheap special team guys. Moore and/or Ayanbadeja will probalby make the team next year

Nick did exactly what I was hoping he would do....LOAD UP on defense.

He is molding this team...and this defense into what HE wants to see.

Some of the people on this board amaze me. We got 3 first round prospects, did not reach for anyone, and people still whine and moan.

"We drafted too much defense"...HELLO!!!!!!!!! In case you have been sleeping, our defense is getting old. Saban injected youth. He got two guys that will be starters at some point...how is this bad?

"We did'nt get any O-lineman". KB said it best. I'm sure if there were ANY O-lineman that Houck thought highly of Nick would have picked one.

"We did'nt help our offense". We got the best runner in the draft...instant help.

"We should have drafted "insert fave player here". Quite being a homer and look at what Nick did today objectively...

He had the best Day one of a draft that we have seen in South Florida in a LONG time...

fin-atic said:
I am trusting Saban. Really I am. But I think I am curious about fans thoughts on the following:

1. Ronnie Brown-Considered by most the best back in the draft. Great pick.

2. Roth-We aquired Carter and Holiday. We have Chester, Bowens, Taylor and other Bowens. Roth can join the rotation, but there were some real offensive line help there. There is no denying that we need help on OLine so did we miss the chance to solve a problem?

3. Crowder-Potentially great LB. But we have Thomas, Seau, Pope, Moore Ayanbejado, and Bua. Was this our biggest need?

We had one of the better defenses in the league. The only problem we had last year was against the run, which was understandable with injuries to Bowens and Chester. The year prior when they were healthy we ranked 3rd against the run.

But what about the offense?? Brown will be an impact. But even he needs blocking. We defintely need another WR. It just feels nervous to bypass all of this and keep picking defense. Thats what we have always done. And what it has proven is if you neglect one side of the ball it can hurt. I know I will hear the BPA comment, but sooner or later you have to fix the problems and that means you have to upgrade the players.

Now before I get flamed, I am not down on what we have done. I am committed to trusting Saban unless he does not succeed. I would like an intelligent exchange about these issues because I think they are legitimate questions and I think many fans are asking them.

Be patient little grasshopper.....

Some of you are too caught up into the idea that we have to use an entire draft on offensive players to improve the offense.

Take offensive line for example. We have Damion McIntosh, Jeno James, Rex Hadnot, Vernon Carey, Stockar McDougle, John St. Clair, Damion Cook, Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, Wade Smith, and a couple of guys over in NFL Europe on the roster. What good does taking an offensive lineman do if that offensive lineman is going to lose out in the numbers game?

Would you rather reach for a player because he plays offense rather than get value and take the defensive player? When you don't draft by your board and start drafting player based on need, that's when you screw up and pass on great players.

I was upset we didn't draft more offense(mainly Greene) but you made a very good point about value.I now see we have had a great draft so far.Maybe we can still get Wilkerson in the 4th round if he's availible.

KB21 said:
Some of you are too caught up into the idea that we have to use an entire draft on offensive players to improve the offense.

Take offensive line for example. We have Damion McIntosh, Jeno James, Rex Hadnot, Vernon Carey, Stockar McDougle, John St. Clair, Damion Cook, Seth McKinney, Taylor Whitley, Wade Smith, and a couple of guys over in NFL Europe on the roster. What good does taking an offensive lineman do if that offensive lineman is going to lose out in the numbers game?

Would you rather reach for a player because he plays offense rather than get value and take the defensive player? When you don't draft by your board and start drafting player based on need, that's when you screw up and pass on great players.

fin-atic said:

Look at the names you listed. Carter and Holiday are quick fixes. Bowens is on the way out. Chester is close behind Bowens. David Bowens? He looks disruptive and shows potential during spring training but where is he during the season? Taylor is still great but he works so much better when there is a threat of some sort from the opposite side and he is our only truely versatile DLine guy Miami has (as far as being able to get up off the line and pressure from the outside)

fin-atic said:

Again, all of those players you listed are on the way out or on the bubble. Well, besides Bua who may be going to safety. Moore? I don't think there is person on this messageboard (well, there's always one) that would put him on either side and depend on him for a year.

fin-atic said:
We had one of the better defenses in the league.

I think the defense last year was a paper tiger. There weren't many teams last year that really had to try against Miami, not with the offense spotting them 7 points a game. But, the offense is young, has a new playmaker in Brown and another offseason and many alters full of prayers for Feeley. If there is a God in heaven, I'm sure she will not be able to ignore Miami's QB situation (and not because she thinks he's a stud, but if it helps....) Not to mention the new coaching and philosophy that will be brought to the stillborn offense of 2004.

KB21 said:

Careful, there are many fans of the "draft for need" persuasion here. (not that there's anything wrong with that) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom