omar jacobs they like | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

omar jacobs they like

saves said:
Its not any worse then going out and getting a quarterback who has already proven he can't hack it in the NFL.

He is also right, of course talking about Harrington, Maddox, Collins etc...

Trekbiz said:
Omar Jacobs to me is another Timmy Chang with a little more talent but nothing that will equal success in the NFL.

Product of a Pass happy and simple system in a weak league.

The guy will have major problems in the NFL.
Long term project with good bust potential IMO.

With Culpepper here now and limited draft picks I think we'll take a shot at a developmental QB with one of the 7th round picks. Other positions will be filled with our 1st and 3rd round picks.

Someone mentioned taking Jacobs with our first.... Typical stuff you see in here. :shakeno:

Have you watched him play. Did you see all of that talent he was surrounded by last year. Do you see how many guys from Bowling Green are going in the first round in this years draft. I have watched this guy and he cannot be just a product of a pass happy offense when he was surrounded by zero talent. He was one of the most accurate Qbs in college football over the past two years. This guy can be developed

Tureo said:
Have you watched him play. Did you see all of that talent he was surrounded by last year. Do you see how many guys from Bowling Green are going in the first round in this years draft. I have watched this guy and he cannot be just a product of a pass happy offense when he was surrounded by zero talent. He was one of the most accurate Qbs in college football over the past two years. This guy can be developed

Im in agreement with you, just watch his stats, more than 40 TD's on a single season?, thats TALENT!!!

postermaster said:
or WR Chad Jackson or QB Omar Jacobs...

Why do you want Omar in the first, he will be there in the 3rd.
Jackson is going to Denver, so either a CB,LB, or WR.
I like Santonio Holmes.

I share the opinion with several draftniks on this site about Omar Jacobs (QB - Bowling Green).

He has absolutely everything physically you look for in a quarterback - arm strength, accuracy, height/weight, athleticism, speed (can run if necessary).

Note: Do not confuse Omar for a scramble-first QB.

His character is near flawless, for anyone who gets ESPN magazine and read the article about how he paints propane tanks at 10 bucks a pop (or some kind of gas product) because its humbling, and how he doesn't want to go crazy with his money when he gets into the NFL - you'll agree with me.

In his sophomore year at Bowling Green he put up absolutely ridiculous stats:

41 TD 4 INT 67% Comp. 4,000 yards.

His junior year was most definately a disapointment when you consider how amazing he was the previous year. During the last collegiate season he threw for 26 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. Some of these touchdowns came when Bowling Green was out of the game ( i.e., against Boise State).

There is just something about Omar that isn't right. The huge drop-off is certainly a reason to be concerned, but by no means can you completely forget about what he did during his sophomore campaign.

Jacobs is similiar to the situation with Jay Cutler in that they both play for small schools with limited talent compared to larger programs. I'm not comparing these two in any other sense besides the fact both did not have a very good supporting cast, although Jacobs did play with two solid receivers - Steve Sanders and Charles Sharon.

Another knock on Omar is is awkward throwing motion, which is a flag being held on Texas QB Vince Young. It could be corrected, but with his size it might not present a huge problem.

Most scouts note that Jacobs played in a spread-offense and a lot of his stats are padded because of that, which is the case in a lot of college quarterbacks.

In conclusion - and I'll say now I'm no draft expert or talent evaluator, but Jacobs is someone I have watched and can say I have a pretty fair view on. Based on raw talent and abilities Omar Jacobs is a first round quarterback, but when you factor in all the knocks, he might be picked up in the 2nd but I would say early 3rd depending on who needs a quarterback.

But who knows? Stranger things can happen. Omar might be picked earlier, or later, it's one of the toughest calls of the draft.

I'd like Jacobs, but in the 3rd or 4th round, can't waste a 1st round pick on a QB when we already have a franchise QB especially when we have other needs.

SEAFinFan said:
I'd like Jacobs, but in the 3rd or 4th round, can't waste a 1st round pick on a QB when we already have a franchise QB especially when we have other needs.

Yeah, EXACTLY...if we sign Lavar this will give us an option to trade for more picks or pick the best CB or WR.

Omar is Vince Young light. That's not a bad thing when you figure how much lower in the draft he'll go.

16 is too early and the 3rd round is too late. I have to think that if we are serious about drafting him that a trade down or up is in the works.

I agree with the guy who mentioned his character.... he seems to be a real class act.

I like him and I think he has a chance to develop into something... but he is NOT better than Young or Cutler. Not at all.

And for the life of me I can't think of a single reason someone would like Jacobs and not like Young.

nopony said:
Omar is Vince Young light. That's not a bad thing when you figure how much lower in the draft he'll go.

16 is too early and the 3rd round is too late. I have to think that if we are serious about drafting him that a trade down or up is in the works.

I agree with the guy who mentioned his character.... he seems to be a real class act.

I like him and I think he has a chance to develop into something... but he is NOT better than Young or Cutler. Not at all.

And for the life of me I can't think of a single reason someone would like Jacobs and not like Young.

I wouldn't go that far in saying - it's so hard to predict how a player will perform at the next level. Cutler has shot up the draft boards quickly, and I won't let myself be sold like I thought I was on Rodgers early last year.

As far as value goes, Jacobs in the 2nd-3rd could turn out much better than Cutler/Young in the top 3-5 picks.

As far as why someone would like Jacobs and not Young is somewhat simple. As much of a big time college player Young was, he accomplished most of that with his feet. Jacobs, on the other hand, relied on his arm strength and accuracy which is MUCH better than that of Youngs. It's difficult to compare when Young was on Texas and Jacobs was on Bowling Green, two different scenarios.

nopony said:
because they're completely different quarterbacks?

Phinz4Life said:
I wouldn't go that far in saying - it's so hard to predict how a player will perform at the next level. Cutler has shot up the draft boards quickly, and I won't let myself be sold like I thought I was on Rodgers early last year.

As far as value goes, Jacobs in the 2nd-3rd could turn out much better than Cutler/Young in the top 3-5 picks.

As far as why someone would like Jacobs and not Young is somewhat simple. As much of a big time college player Young was, he accomplished most of that with his feet. Jacobs, on the other hand, relied on his arm strength and accuracy which is MUCH better than that of Youngs. It's difficult to compare when Young was on Texas and Jacobs was on Bowling Green, two different scenarios.

1. Of course... the worst QB in the draft could turn out better than Leinart. Reggie Bush could break his leg. We have to evaluate on what we know NOW. And right now we know Jacobs isn't as good a prospect as Young.

2. Why on earth do people think Young "accomplished most of that with his feet"??? He was one of the highest rated PASSERS in the country - higher than Leinart. Higher than Cutler. Higher than Jacobs.

Youngs passing stats blow Jacobs away. He passed for 500 more yards against much better competition. He completed 5% more of his passes for over a yard better per attempt.

Back
Top Bottom