omar jacobs they like | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

omar jacobs they like

UF Fin Kat said:
just using stats doesn't make it true. watching him play over his career makes it true. he looks to run when the first read isn't there. that's a run-first quarterback. and jacobs isn't a dual threat. you're way off.

:shakeno:

Ok... I am going to take your personal perspective on things rather than using actual facts and the opinions of people who do this for a living.

You can disparage stats all you want, and there are gaps that we don't have the right stats for yet... but they don't lie. And run-first, one-read QBs don't throw for 3000 yards.

At some point people are going to have to pick one way to deride Young... is he bad because he was in a "pass-happy offense" or is he bad because he "ran first".

Trick question. The answer is "neither". People have preconcieved notions of him and mold what they see to fit their opinion, rather than the other way around.

As to Jacobs not being a dual threat... almost all scouts agree that he is a dual threat... that does not mean he was a scrambling qb... he wasn't. It means he runs a 4.55 forty and has the talent to be a threat. Every scouting report I have read on him says about the same thing.

COMEBACKRICKY said:
all i know about omar jacobs is that he is an impact player in ncaa football, but ive watched most of vince youngs games bieng that i live close to austin, and i belive that this guy is the real deal. Its hard to say that his a "run first qb" because he just does what the other team is giving him. ive seen him sit in the pocket the whole game and other games he runs free so thats the end of that, but you guys are confusing the heck out of me.... if he runs a 4.55 that is very mobile for a qb, while others say he just moves in the pocket well. so ugh... which one is it? Im still not sold on taking a qb with our first rounder but i do belive we need to adress it in our mid rounders.

The confusion comes from some peopel pointing out that he didn't run in college and me pointing out that he CAN run and that scouts consider him a dual threat whether he used that weapon much in college or not.

Here's a snip formt he epsn insider analysis on Jacobs:

"He's an excellent athlete. Has quick feet and can get set quickly. Shows a good pocket presence and buys a lot of second-chance opportunities with his athleticism. He is a threat to take off and run. Has above average speed and some elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. A confident player and aggressive competitor."

Which is all I am trying to say. He did not run like Young in college, but he has the tools to scare people with his legs as well as his arm.

And I agree with you about Young. I think a lot of people are going to be eating some serious crow about him someday. I mean, imagine if Vick could actual throw the football well?

People have started to think that being able to run as a qb is a bad thing. Which is ridiculous. Being ONLY able to run is a bad thing. But being able to do both well is nothing but good.

Also, the number of people that kept saying Young was going to fall to us or past us is hilarious. Read the posts a few weeks ago - some crazy statements.

Young won't get past the seventh pick and Jacobs will probably go in the high second.

Don't be too frightened but Jacobs reminds me of Aaron Brooks except this guy's head is in the game not his....Aaron Brooks makes so many mistakes but he has great size, is mobile, and has a great arm. Jacobs is extremely accurate. A passing system may produce alot of yards and completions but they can't make a Qb more accurate with his throws

Tureo said:
Don't be too frightened but Jacobs reminds me of Aaron Brooks except this guy's head is in the game not his....Aaron Brooks makes so many mistakes but he has great size, is mobile, and has a great arm. Jacobs is extremely accurate. A passing system may produce alot of yards and completions but they can't make a Qb more accurate with his throws

Aaron Brooks is the Sporting News' comparison, too. Not that he couldn't be better than Brooks, I think he could. But there are a lot of similiarities.

nopony said:
As to Jacobs not being a dual threat... almost all scouts agree that he is a dual threat... that does not mean he was a scrambling qb... he wasn't. It means he runs a 4.55 forty and has the talent to be a threat. Every scouting report I have read on him says about the same thing.

How about this....he runs a 4.7 40 and isn't really a dual threat QB at all. You can give me any scouting report you want because they are wrong. He is nothing at all like Vince Young either, he is more like Big Ben in a comparison of speed. Trying to argue about a prospect you have obviously never seen is a horrible decision, don't you think?

saves said:
How about this....he runs a 4.7 40 and isn't really a dual threat QB at all. You can give me any scouting report you want because they are wrong. He is nothing at all like Vince Young either. He is a pocker passer.

Alrighty... yeah, I think I'll disregard every expert in the field and go with a dude from a message board's opinion.

He's also run a 4.88 forty. And a 4.55 forty. Which is best representitive? Who knows? But he's capable of a 4.55 forty.

nopony said:

Ok... I am going to take your personal perspective on things rather than using actual facts and the opinions of people who do this for a living.

You can disparage stats all you want, and there are gaps that we don't have the right stats for yet... but they don't lie. And run-first, one-read QBs don't throw for 3000 yards.

At some point people are going to have to pick one way to deride Young... is he bad because he was in a "pass-happy offense" or is he bad because he "ran first".

Trick question. The answer is "neither". People have preconcieved notions of him and mold what they see to fit their opinion, rather than the other way around.
young is a run-first, one-read QB. if you think the stats tell you otherwise, by all means, think what you want. some of us choose to watch the games and see what's going on.
nopony said:
Alrighty... yeah, I think I'll disregard every expert in the field and go with a dude from a message board's opinion.

He's also run a 4.88 forty. And a 4.55 forty. Which is best representitive? Who knows? But he's capable of a 4.55 forty.
i don't know why you even bother arguing on this board, the only thing you use as evidence is information you gather from scouting reports or the stats on sportsline.com. jacobs is NOT a dual threat whatsoever, any scout that says that is completely wrong, or they're just assuming that a black QB with anything under a 5.0 in the 40 can run. although, i guess jacobs has about as much of a shot as being a successful dual-threat QB in the NFL as vince young has at just being a competent passer in the NFL.

and just because you use the blue frowney smiley every single post doesn't mean you're better than everyone, despite what you may think. you're wrong here, as you are in just about every topic of discussion.

UF Fin Kat said:
and just because you use the blue frowney smiley every single post doesn't mean you're better than everyone, despite what you may think. you're wrong here, as you are in just about every topic of discussion.

That was amazing.

On a side note, I played against Jacobs in high school. The dude could run then, but I'll admit I haven't watched his college ball games enough to know if he took that with him when he went to college.

nopony said:

Well you dont have to go with saves over the experts, but Jacobs has said he pretty much is and wants to work primarily out of the pocket. He's also been somewhat criticized for his unwillingness to run at times even though we all know he can. Many say he's like that because he doesn't want to be labeled like how you're labeling him right now (oh well so much for that).

daniel3 said:
Well you dont have to go with saves over the experts, but Jacobs has said he pretty much is and wants to work primarily out of the pocket. He's also been somewhat criticized for his unwillingness to run at times even though we all know he can. Many say he's like that because he doesn't want to be labeled like how you're labeling him right now (oh well so much for that).

Let's work backward shall we.

You have it exactly right. That's exactly what is going on.

He CAN run, he HASN'T run.

Which, if people read back, was my point.

I didn't label him as anythiing, I discussed him.

UF Fin Kat said:
young is a run-first, one-read QB. if you think the stats tell you otherwise, by all means, think what you want. some of us choose to watch the games and see what's going on.
i don't know why you even bother arguing on this board, the only thing you use as evidence is information you gather from scouting reports or the stats on sportsline.com. jacobs is NOT a dual threat whatsoever, any scout that says that is completely wrong, or they're just assuming that a black QB with anything under a 5.0 in the 40 can run. although, i guess jacobs has about as much of a shot as being a successful dual-threat QB in the NFL as vince young has at just being a competent passer in the NFL.

Well, lets see here.

1. You criticize me for using facts. Brilliant. By all means, let's not use stats or experts., let's use wannabe's opinions and treat them as fact.

The last refuge of someone who can't win an argument... whining about someone using facts.

Sad.

2. As the posts below you reiterate, Jacobs CAN run, but has chosen not to. That doesn't mean that his talent goes away - just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there... and assuming it does is why you don't make the money the experts you so easily dismiss do.

Or perhaps you just chose not to read where I pointed out that he wasn't a scrambling qb earlier.

3. Grow up. If you want to stoop to personal insults, talk to somebody else.

If you think I am wrong on every topic why don't you show me where instead of falling back on generalizations and junior high school insults.

Oh, and why on earth do you keep tossing out this silly "didn't watch the games" nonsense? You think I didn't watch because I also quote experts and use stats? Ridiculous. Oh my, yes, the fact that I saw the same thing that most scouts saw must surely mean I didn't watch any college football. Lame.

nopony said:
Well, lets see here.

1. You criticize me for using facts. Brilliant. By all means, let's not use stats or experts., let's use wannabe's opinions and treat them as fact.

The last refuge of someone who can't win an argument... whining about someone using facts.

Sad.
the problem is, you're not using facts. you're using the statistical facts and making them the facts about the player's potential. you look at young's stats and say "he must be a good quarterback." you look at cutler's stats and say he's not as good as the other QB's because his stats aren't as good.
2. As the posts below you reiterate, Jacobs CAN run, but has chosen not to. That doesn't mean that his talent goes away - just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there... and assuming it does is why you don't make the money the experts you so easily dismiss do.

Or perhaps you just chose not to read where I pointed out that he wasn't a scrambling qb earlier.
yes he CAN run, but that doesn't make him a dual-threat QB at all. he and cutler are both virtually the same athletically, but no one calls cutler a dual-threat QB. what makes a QB a "dual-threat" is his scrambling ability, so why even call him that since you said he doesn't scramble? he and young have nothing in common as quarterbacks.

3. Grow up. If you want to stoop to personal insults, talk to somebody else.

If you think I am wrong on every topic why don't you show me where instead of falling back on generalizations and junior high school insults.

Oh, and why on earth do you keep tossing out this silly "didn't watch the games" nonsense? You think I didn't watch because I also quote experts and use stats? Ridiculous. Oh my, yes, the fact that I saw the same thing that most scouts saw must surely mean I didn't watch any college football. Lame.
the fact that you don't actually state your own opinion, the fact that you quote scouts or something from a website, the fact that you use STATS to project a player's pro protential, etc...is a pretty strong indication that you don't know what you're talking about.

nopony said:

How bout this dude from the message board that saw every start that Omar has ever made and lived the floor above him last year? He ran like a 4.7 this offseason, and is not capable of a 4.55. There is a huge difference in 4.7 and 4.5 speed. But keep believing what you want, maybe if you search back you'll find the very large write-up about him I posted, I know alot about how he plays. But I'm sure you'll go spreading the word of the "experts" that say he is a 4.5 guy that will beat you with his feet!

Back
Top Bottom