On Character | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

On Character

Seems like an awful lot of speculation, my friend.

I say Chase is the better player, either way.
What isn’t speculation when it comes to the draft?

The odds that Chase’s numbers improve in 2020 without Burrow, Jefferson, Edward-Helaire, and Brady I would put around 1%.

Are you aware LSU wasn’t even close to the team they were in 2019? National Champs to 5-5.

Last edited:

The odds that Chase’s numbers improve in 2020 without Burrow, Jefferson, Edward-Helaire, and Brady I would put around 1%.

Are you aware LSU wasn’t even close to the team they were in 2019? National Champs to 5-5.
Does that mean he therefore would have dropped for 💯 percent down the draft boards, having a slightly worse season!? It's not all about statistics.

I could say the same for DeVonta..if he didn't have the countries best QB's (TUA/ MAC) RB's and WR's and O-Line his whole career..his numbers are likely worse..and best OC, not to mention, in Sark. So yeah..goes both ways.

Does that mean he therefore would have dropped for 💯 percent down the draft boards, having a slightly worse season!? It's not all about statistics.

I could say the same for DeVonta..if he didn't have the countries best QB's (TUA/ MAC) RB's and WR's and O-Line his whole career..his numbers are likely worse..and best OC, not to mention, in Sark. So yeah..goes both ways.
Seems you’re missing my point.

Chase had much to lose and nothing to gain by playing last season which could have cost him over $10 million + over the first 4 years of his contract.

Smith had plenty to gain with both Ruggs and Jeudy entering the draft and Smith becoming the primary target.

Smith’s decision to come back will most likely result in making well over $10 million + on his rookie contract.

LSU became depleted of talent on offense whereas Alabama had proven talent at QB, RB, OL coming back.

I don’t have anything else to say on this topic. If you don’t agree with it, okay.

Last edited:
Seems you’re missing my point.

Chase had much to lose and nothing to gain by playing last season which could have cost him over $10 million + over the first 4 years of his contract.

Smith had plenty to gain with both Ruggs and Juedy entering the draft and Smith becoming the primary target.

Smith’s decision to come back will most likely result in making well over $10 million + on his rookie contract.

LSU became depleted of talent on offense whereas Alabama had proven talent at QB, RB, OL coming back.

I don’t have anything else to say on this topic. If you don’t agree with it, okay.
He made a good decision.

He's still better than Slim boy.

To me and many...

:cool: 🆗

It's still a swing and homerun or miss, sometimes character issues come with money or untapped mental illness. I agree that homework regarding that is done but if it was easy there would be no misses and there are def some each year. Works both ways, some creeps turn out ok other gems faulter.
Right...and they'll find out Chase is amazing young man with incredible athletic skills, that may or may not have gotten the correct advice.

You are talking nonsense.

I don't know college players at all but you convinced me, good take.

Don't kill, don't rape, don't abuse. After that, can we playing f@cking footbal, gentlemen?

It's funny what some expect out of humans who have been programmed be animals for a living.

You want characters. Watch looney toons.

There is one thing I know about Grier since he took over as GM...he strongly prioritizes character. Look at the past 3 years of picks and listen to his press conferences after he makes them.

Character is the reason we went DT with Wilkins...it was a bit of a surprise pick wasn’t it? But he was going to be a MAJOR building block for our new defense and the new culture. Character is the reason we took swings at Michael Dieter and Andrew Van Ginkel, Tua Tagovailoa and Austin Jackson. You see the theme? And 4 out of the 5 have been excellent picks.

Grier goes for guys that are selfless. Guys who put the team first. Guys who will make for a good locker room. Guys who will always give it 110%. And he’s willing to take a player a bit early to get that (think Jackson.)

This is why I believe we will take Smitty at #6 and not Chase. With Chase you got a player who sometimes takes plays off. You got a player who talks like he’s full of himself. You got a player who took a season off because he knew he was locked into the money. I don’t buy that corona excuse for a second. Sure he may even be the superior player...but what about character? What happens when it’s time to be paid? I don’t want an Odell Beckham or Jarvis Landry. No thank you.

With Smith you got a humble Christian boy. A kid who will always give it 110%. A kid who has always faced adversity cuz of his size and overcame it cuz of his will. A kid who is a true student of the game. A kid who stepped up when his teammates needed him the most. He came back and didn’t even think about sitting out...and then he absolutely dominated despite losing Waddle. This projects to a career-long kind of player for your franchise. A true rare commodity. Forget the claims about his size...he took on the best defenses in the SEC and took major hits. I’m not at all worried. Plus he’s one of the most polished route runners in a long time. The idea of reuniting him with Tua makes me so excited for our offense.

Watch the video link down below if you aren’t convinced. I truly believe he’s already a Dolphin. I listen/watch this every day because I’m convinced he’s our pick. It’s an amazing video. I’m convinced we dropped to 6 with the full intent to take him.

Other extremely high character guys I believe we are targeting are Najee Harris for obvious reasons and Creed Humphrey. In a perfect world we take Najee at 18 and Creed falls to 36...but I don’t see it happening. I’m sure many of you would be disgusted with a center at 18...but I could see him going to several teams shortly after - namely the Steelers and Packers. He’s better than Ruiz was and we have a huge need there. I think he’s a pro bowl center. His character is off the charts good. I could see him snapping to Tua for a decade. Oh...and he’s a Lefty.

Anyways...we’re in a situation with clearly defined needs and have the chance to take very high character players at those positions. I think we get 2 of the 3. Don’t forget you heard it here if it happens. It’s because of how much Grier prioritizes character whilst also looking for the production.

I have no problem with drafting Smith but if both Chase and Smith are on the board at 6, Grier will likely draft Chase. Chase is the top WR in the draft and I don’t care one bit that he took last season off because of Covid.
Grier has already shown that he is willing to take a chance on players with questionable character. Yet I don’t see Chase as being a player that falls into that category. He is simply an excellent WR and would instantly become the #1 WR on the Dolphins roster if he is their pick at 6.

With that being stated, I would be happy with Waddle, Smith, Pitts, or Sewell at 6 too.

If they sit out the season, they sit out the season.

Doesn't mean they lack character.

Plenty of players who played (this season) are more of a character concern than someone like "Ja'Marr Chase" and company.
Not a big problem with him sitting, my
Problem is taking plays off during games. This has been noted by several experts.

They might not have been 5-5 if Chase played.

Back
Top Bottom