Once the renovations are done how will Joe Robbie stadium stack up with league? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Once the renovations are done how will Joe Robbie stadium stack up with league?

Teal Seats are so "Hard" I heard the Ravens and Texans are shaking in their Boots looking up and seeing Marc Anthony and Gloria Estefan throwing Gang signs, and Teal Seats. Game over.

Dolphins might need 20,000 naked chicks in the stands to distract the Ravens and Texans so Miami can finally beat them.

I'm amazed people actually think you can spend ~$350 million and get the same results as other franchises spending twice that (or more). And not just that. Someone in the thread thinks it will be one of the finest facilities in the league.

What a cheat code we discovered. Spend less than half as much as a new stadium costs, get one of the best stadiums in the league! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed people actually think you can spend ~$350 million and get the same results as other franchises spending twice that (or more). And not just that. Someone in the thread thinks it will be one of the finest facilities in the league.

What a cheat code we discovered. Spend less than half as much as a new stadium costs, get one of the best stadiums in the league! :lol:

I think the the point that was being emphasized is that the geographical location is our biggest and most prominent draw for a Super Bowl. The stadium being brought up to date and modernized is just the feather in the cap that needed to be done as a final piece to make us contenders to host a Super Bowl.

I think the the point that was being emphasized is that the geographical location is our biggest and most prominent draw for a Super Bowl. The stadium being brought up to date and modernized is just the feather in the cap that needed to be done as a final piece to make us contenders to host a Super Bowl.

Why do you care if we host a Super Bowl?

when you build from scratch you have to pay costs such as archiect, extra permits, lay new foundation, have added material. Sunlife has a great foundation and great space. ....I believe it will look new and modern just like some of the new ones. I've been to Giants stadium....built for $1 billion. ...it is boring and nothing special. Cardinals stadium super nice, but tiny scoreboard/screen and overall boring atmosphere on gameday inside the stadium.

Oh man, been to MetLife twice. So cold and boring. Makes a hospital seem exciting.

when you build from scratch you have to pay costs such as archiect, extra permits, lay new foundation, have added material. Sunlife has a great foundation and great space. ....I believe it will look new and modern just like some of the new ones. I've been to Giants stadium....built for $1 billion. ...it is boring and nothing special. Cardinals stadium super nice, but tiny scoreboard/screen and overall boring atmosphere on gameday inside the stadium.

You're kidding right? Have you ever tried to work around an existing structure versus just building something from scratch? It's far easier and cheaper to start over. Workarounds mean compromises, they mean extra costs. You get something like 80% return on value versus starting over. It's why every other stadium project you'll find (save Soldier Field perhaps, and Lambeau, both of which were preserved for historical rather than cost) starts over.

You get what you pay for. You pay $350 million, you do not get the equivalent of a brand new $1.4 stadium (the estimated cost of the new Falcons stadium). It's like saying if you reupholster and paint your 1987 Pontiac Fiero then it's basically the same as a new car. Uh, no, not really.

If you're existing structure works , yes it's easier and makes sense.

I think you definitely benefit more by having a "from the ground up" stadium, no question actually as you have a whole audience who has never been to this new stadium wanting to go.

I think in Miami's case, certainly their stadium won't be Dallas, Arizona, or some of those top of the line venues. I think the X Factor becomes how valuable Miami and South Florida in general becomes as a tourist spot that time of year. You are more likely to get people to fly from across the country to South Florida and plan up with Super Bowl events being held over having them do that for other colder parts of the country. A family can plan a week cruise and then spend a week in South Florida for the Super Bowl, or whatever. The stadium was holding Miami back from getting the bids, and I think these renovations definitely "do enough" to start regaining those bids (even though you still have a stadium in the middle of nowhere). . . . although I was a big proponent of wanting a new stadium as well . . . . I just see how that isn't going to happen and objectively looking at the situation, this is probably the "best plan of action" going forward.

I think you definitely benefit more by having a "from the ground up" stadium, no question actually as you have a whole audience who has never been to this new stadium wanting to go.

I think in Miami's case, certainly their stadium won't be Dallas, Arizona, or some of those top of the line venues. I think the X Factor becomes how valuable Miami and South Florida in general becomes as a tourist spot that time of year. You are more likely to get people to fly from across the country to South Florida and plan up with Super Bowl events being held over having them do that for other colder parts of the country. A family can plan a week cruise and then spend a week in South Florida for the Super Bowl, or whatever. The stadium was holding Miami back from getting the bids, and I think these renovations definitely "do enough" to start regaining those bids (even though you still have a stadium in the middle of nowhere). . . . although I was a big proponent of wanting a new stadium as well . . . . I just see how that isn't going to happen and objectively looking at the situation, this is probably the "best plan of action" going forward.

But once again I have to ask, why would any Dolphins fan care about the stadium hosting the Super Bowl? Why is that part of any calculus for a successful venue among fans of the team?

I get why Ross cares. He's a stiff, awkward weirdo who likes being the center of attention. Go ahead then. Spend millions so you can be that once every five years. Also so you can profit from the game itself.

All I care about is the Miami Dolphins. This patch does nothing for that. Only a few seats hundred seats are closer (most are unchanged). The stadium itself is still in it's terrible location. And the patch ensures that it will be in that location for the foreseeable future.

People are assuming the league gives out Super Bowls based on the strength of our presentation and the merits of our situation. That is not the case.

The league has a vested interest in rewarding cities that throw them a bone. Give them a stadium, they will give you a Super Bowl. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not only has Miami not given the league a new stadium, they snubbed them.
Its possible they do pity Ross and give him a game because he dropped most of the money himself and they've been dicking him around since '09. But i seriously doubt they'd break any of their "handshake agreements" with cities in order to do so. This is a business arraignment and the league is in the business of getting free billion dollar stadiums.

Dude - we are still going to end up with one of the best stadiums in the NFL (probably top 6). Two factors involved:
(a) Minnesota is really cold and so they have to build a new completely indoor facility and that by definition is a lot more expensive. Atlanta's looks great but again you are paying for an indoor facility with an artistic retractable top.
(b) Mr Ross just happens to be the biggest property developer in NYC. He employs the best at managing major construction projects. I will bet that they analyzed the options very carefully and concluded that a $400M complete renovation could look great and also be far less expensive (and he has top professionals to ensure that they do a great job).
Just because Jerry Jones way overspent by hundreds of $ millions on his stadium in Dallas, doesn't mean that Stephen Ross makes the same mistake.

Back
Top Bottom