Once the renovations are done how will Joe Robbie stadium stack up with league? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Once the renovations are done how will Joe Robbie stadium stack up with league?

You can't spend $350 million on a stadium "upgrade" when new stadiums cost $1.4 billion and seriously think you're getting every detail redone, can you? A complete overhaul would carry the cost of a complete overhaul, the same way you can't achieve a frame off quality restoration of a car if you don't actually remove the frame from the body, to stay with the car analogy. Stop looking at the pictures and think about what you're actually allowing yourself to believe.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Exactly. It's baffling to me that so many Dolphins have allowed Stephen Ross' desires and interests to become their own despite the fact that they have no reason to give a ****.

Are you aware of who Chip Foose is? Because that is exactly what he does....and the purpose of using him as an example.

I'm not sure what qualifies you to determine what I am looking at or my desires and feelings on this project.....but you are not correct with your comments. For the record, I don't care about whether we get a Super Bowl here. I get why the owner does, it would put tons of money into his business. As would all the other events it would bring to the stadium. BUT....him accomplishing that means his efforts would benefit me in my experience on games that I attend at the stadium. That is why I care.

Are you aware of who Chip Foose is? Because that is exactly what he does....and the purpose of using him as an example.

I know exactly who Chip Foose is. He is primarily a customizer and restomodder, rather than a restorer, which actually goes to my point.

I'll say it again, a frame off restoration is a frame off restoration. If the frame doesn't come off, it won't be of the same quality. It can't be. You can't access the same parts of the car, which means you can't see the same kinds of problems. You can't inspect the details or clean parts the same way. There is a huge difference in the detail involved which means a huge difference in the time involved which means a huge difference in the cost involved. You are barking up the wrong tree here.

I'm not sure what qualifies you to determine what I am looking at or my desires and feelings on this project.....but you are not correct with your comments. For the record, I don't care about whether we get a Super Bowl here. I get why the owner does, it would put tons of money into his business. As would all the other events it would bring to the stadium. BUT....him accomplishing that means his efforts would benefit me in my experience on games that I attend at the stadium. That is why I care.

You stated that $350 million would essentially produce a completely refurbished stadium. I didn't invent that or infer it. You said it. And it's nonsensical. It's delusional. If it were possible to do that to a stadium and make it essentially new, why would anyone spend $1.4 billion on an actually new stadium? Explain that to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly who Chip Foose is. He is primarily a customizer and restomodder, rather than a restorer, which actually goes to my point.

I'll say it again, a frame off restoration is a frame off restoration. If the frame doesn't come off, it won't be of the same quality. It can't be. You can't access the same parts of the car, which means you can't see the same kinds of problems. You can't inspect the details or clean parts the same way. There is a huge difference in the detail involved which means a huge difference in the time involved which means a huge difference in the cost involved. You are barking up the wrong tree here.

You stated that $350 million would essentially produce a completely refurbished stadium. I didn't invent that or infer it. You said it. And it's nonsensical. It's delusional. If it were possible to do that to a stadium and make it essentially new, why would anyone spend $1.4 billion on an actually new stadium? Explain that to me.
No owner spends spends 1.4 billion on any stadium. MetLife are financed by government and PSLs. AT&T was financed with $450 by the City of Arlington and $750 in private funding. In the private funding you have $500 Million through PSL sales and 150 Million through an interest free loan from the NFL which will be paid back through ticket receipts. Jerry Jones only doled out $100 Million.

MetLife was technically all privately financed but that included almost a billion dollar in PSL sales (between both teams) and partial financing through the naming rights. NJ's input was to the tune of 300 or 400 Million.

I think when you look at stadium cost you have to also look at how big and who is financing it. The 1 billion plus price tag applies to stadiums with 80,000 plus seats (AT&T Texas, MetLife, NJ). They are also both owned by government (City of Arlington and State of NJ).
There are really only a handful of privately owned stadiums. You know how that goes. Government is like a piggy bank for corporations. Every estimation is blown up big time.

We really don't have a comparison for A 65-68K stadium which is privately funded. The closest new build we got is Levis Stadium which cost 1.3 billion (estimated) but that is also expandable to 75k. It is privately owned but the City of Santa Clara ponied up almost 300 million. Goldman Sachs cashed in 100 Million for their negotiating services (all included in the estimated construction cost).

I think Gillette Stadium is the closest one. It has 68k, was privately financed and cost $325 Million in 2002. If you adjust that to 2015 dollars it is somewhere around 450 Million. I would take a guess that a privately 68K Stadium would cost around 600-700 Million. If you would add government funding the price probably jumps up by 200-300 Million.

Our renovations were supposed to cost $450 Million. Once direct government funding was off the table the cost went down to $350 Million without changing the renovations.

SunLife is a bare bone concrete structure without the expensive dress other stadiums have. The advantage with that is that you can dramatically enhance the stadium without major tear downs. The stadium is essentially two parts. Bare lower level and bare upper level and both are attached. The tear down in the lower bowl can happen because it does not affect the structural integrity of the upper level.

Renovations over the years were easy. I wonder how many people here were frequent visitors in the 90s. Upper level was a disaster. The concourse was tight and narrow. The club level was bare minimum. Any renovation for any stadium would have been a major task by tearing out the outer shell, renovating and then make the new shell fit the renovations. What did Wayne do? Take off the old club level, attach a new structure from the outside and eventually they added a concrete slap on top of that structure to enhance the upper level. In one off season the stadium become bigger and wider on all levels and had an overhang in the main plaza.

I always likened SunLife to a Lego build or wooden block structure we used to play with when we were toddlers. Take off what you don't want and attach the new stuff.

But I will check it out the next couple of years. Once completed I will let you know if it can compare to other newer stadiums. Next to considering SunLife my second home I have been to Jxv, Tampa, Gillette, Carolina, the new Browns stadium, Lambeau (after renovation). It definitely will not compare to AT&T, MetLife or Levis Stadium because those stadiums are so much bigger.

I still do not see a water park for us to drown ourselves in when the Dolphins are sucking ass with the playoffs on the line.

What's up with that, Mr. Ross?

No owner spends spends 1.4 billion on any stadium. MetLife are financed by government and PSLs. AT&T was financed with $450 by the City of Arlington and $750 in private funding. In the private funding you have $500 Million through PSL sales and 150 Million through an interest free loan from the NFL which will be paid back through ticket receipts. Jerry Jones only doled out $100 Million.

MetLife was technically all privately financed but that included almost a billion dollar in PSL sales (between both teams) and partial financing through the naming rights. NJ's input was to the tune of 300 or 400 Million.

I think when you look at stadium cost you have to also look at how big and who is financing it. The 1 billion plus price tag applies to stadiums with 80,000 plus seats (AT&T Texas, MetLife, NJ). They are also both owned by government (City of Arlington and State of NJ).
There are really only a handful of privately owned stadiums. You know how that goes. Government is like a piggy bank for corporations. Every estimation is blown up big time.

We really don't have a comparison for A 65-68K stadium which is privately funded. The closest new build we got is Levis Stadium which cost 1.3 billion (estimated) but that is also expandable to 75k. It is privately owned but the City of Santa Clara ponied up almost 300 million. Goldman Sachs cashed in 100 Million for their negotiating services (all included in the estimated construction cost).

I think Gillette Stadium is the closest one. It has 68k, was privately financed and cost $325 Million in 2002. If you adjust that to 2015 dollars it is somewhere around 450 Million. I would take a guess that a privately 68K Stadium would cost around 600-700 Million. If you would add government funding the price probably jumps up by 200-300 Million.

Our renovations were supposed to cost $450 Million. Once direct government funding was off the table the cost went down to $350 Million without changing the renovations.

SunLife is a bare bone concrete structure without the expensive dress other stadiums have. The advantage with that is that you can dramatically enhance the stadium without major tear downs. The stadium is essentially two parts. Bare lower level and bare upper level and both are attached. The tear down in the lower bowl can happen because it does not affect the structural integrity of the upper level.

Renovations over the years were easy. I wonder how many people here were frequent visitors in the 90s. Upper level was a disaster. The concourse was tight and narrow. The club level was bare minimum. Any renovation for any stadium would have been a major task by tearing out the outer shell, renovating and then make the new shell fit the renovations. What did Wayne do? Take off the old club level, attach a new structure from the outside and eventually they added a concrete slap on top of that structure to enhance the upper level. In one off season the stadium become bigger and wider on all levels and had an overhang in the main plaza.

I always likened SunLife to a Lego build or wooden block structure we used to play with when we were toddlers. Take off what you don't want and attach the new stuff.

But I will check it out the next couple of years. Once completed I will let you know if it can compare to other newer stadiums. Next to considering SunLife my second home I have been to Jxv, Tampa, Gillette, Carolina, the new Browns stadium, Lambeau (after renovation). It definitely will not compare to AT&T, MetLife or Levis Stadium because those stadiums are so much bigger.

My point wasn't about who was paying for the renovations. It was about getting $350 million out if you put $350 million in, not a "basically new" stadium, as some seem to be saying. If anything, the fact that the construction crews have to work around existing structures will give us less than a dollar for dollar comparable upgrade. The idea that we're going to get dramatically more for our money than a new stadium is delusional. I mean, I know some people are homers about the team. Realists have to step around that kind of poop all the time. But being homers about getting more value out than you put in on a stadium upgrade than other teams are getting? Weird.

I think the new improvements will put us back up into the top 32 stadiums, top 35 at least. But then again why should be have a top 5 stadium if our owner is content with a bottom 5 coach??

Back
Top Bottom