One Publication Believes The Dolphins Will Surprise

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MDFINFAN, Jul 9, 2018 at 7:12 PM.

1. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator

Barry Jackson's latest.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/article213925554.html#storylink=cpy

2. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

I agree with this. people have jumped off the ledge bc we gave up an overrated pouncey, and 2 good players. jarvis and suh did not make our team. when jarvis caught more than 10 balls we lost. suh allthough a great player is a dt. DT very rarely win you a game in professional football. we have put some weapons on offense to take up the reps from landry with albert and danny.

3. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

Get on the train while you still can folks

Michael Scott, fins1, tay0365 and 2 others like this.
  4. Mach2

Mach2 Active Member

The article made many valid points that I agree with.

The counterpoint would be we have a young, unproven (consistently reliable) interior d-line and LB units. If we can't stop the run, without selling out, we will have a long season.

SF Dolphin Fan, superphin and Ray R like this.
  5. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

We have speed on offense.
    We have experience on defense.
    If Gase and the coordinators can pull it together we can get ten wins.

I would have sold the farm to keep Parkey.

Ray R likes this.
  6. Danny68

Danny68 NewEngland Fin Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Wild card my ***!!!! We’re getting the number 1 seed folks!!!!

7. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you.

With Tannehill leading the team, the sky is the limit. While listening to the OTA press conferences, almost every player mentions his name and how his leadership was missed.

8. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

Ive said this in a few other threads and Im sticking by it until proven otherwise.....

Tannehill returning to our Fins will be the single biggest upgrade to an offense in the ENTIRE NFL.

Cutler did not even rank in the top 32 QBs last year (wow), while Tanne has never been outside of the top 16 his entire career, and looked his best his last year playing for us.

9. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

One Publication Believes The Dolphins Will Surprise

High Times magazine? :biggrin

Seriously, I believe that Miami is loaded with talent (and potential), but I have no faith in the coaching staff.

10. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

If we squeak into the playoffs with a wild card and 6th seed, I'll be surprised too. I fully expect an AFCE crown in 2018.

Patriots will be the one's clawing at the wild card.

Ray R and TannDaMan17 like this.
  11. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Fell the same way, I like Gase though, it's just the other ones that worry me, especially Burke.

gunn34 likes this.
  12. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

One year they’ll be favorites again. I miss those days.

13. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

My biggest concern is the coaching staff as well.

14. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

This seems like the first offseason we concentrated on the "team" and not just signing "individuals". I really like what we've done so far.

Ray R and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  15. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Though I agree that youth will be featured in the middle, for the most part, these are pretty intelligent, accomplished individuals, especially at M-LB.

We have yet to see if McMillan is the real deal in the NFL, but if he is, a young energetic leader at M-LB

Ray R likes this.
  16. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I remember when the Lions and Browns were picked every year for like a decade as surprise playoff team, only to disappoint every year. I feel like this board has hit maximum over drive with hype and I don't know what to believe anymore.

JahnDho, jnozag and Adam Strange like this.
  17. Drazzub

Drazzub Active Member

Since the Vegas/bookies have a real vested interest in getting these predictions as close as possible...Has anyone ever started a thread where they’ve gone back when the season ends and says this is what the different people predicted...this is how it compared to the eventual outcome????

Just curious how close they’re predictions have been in the past.

Ray R likes this.
  18. McMichael

To be fair to the hype machine, do you remember the last time we had a QB situation similar to Tanne coming back to lead the offense? Over Cutler who was one of the worst QBS in the league last year? I don't...

Do you remember the last time we had a football season so full of controversy, drugs, lost our bye week, hurricanes etc? I don't.... I have never seen that many non football related issues in one year...not even close really.

We also played the 6th hardest schedule in the NFL last year while dealing with these issues (biggest issue by far has to be losing our starting QB which would screw over probably 95% of the teams in the league)

We finished 6-10 regardless of any of it, staying in the playoff race until late in the year and then basically conceded our last game when we were mathematically eliminated by playing all backups.....so really 7-9 was possible for sure.

Hell yes I can see us going 10-6 this year...and I honestly think thats not even me being a homer its just looking at everything objectively. I also think we had a great draft and signed very good FAs but that's another thread lol

Travis34, HeyHoLet'sGo, Ray R and 2 others like this.
  19. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

Are these stats you just made up? I obviously agree that we are much better off with RT, but your stats have no truth. Cutler, by passer rating was 23 in the NFL, and Ryan has been in the 20s three times with the worst being 27th.

Ray R and JAKEIII like this.
  20. teemu7

teemu7 A True Fan

Agree. I dig out under the radar signings this season, it felt good to shed weight...we'll see how this turns out

Ray R likes this.
  21. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

:laugh...and i'd argue SI's 3 win prediction is probably better suited to the esteemed "Crack Rock Quarterly" publication

Ray R likes this.
  22. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Certainly can make the argument that the team has improved in virtually every area, except maybe defensive tackle. Of course, other teams have improved as well. At this point, I just can't wait for the season. Miami is one of those teams that really has to get off to a quick start IMO and the offense needs to be better than league average, which I think it will be.

Ray R likes this.
  23. McMichael

I'm going by PFFs players rankings, not the ridiculously outdated and non team encompassing "passer rating" lol....

24. McMichael

So no, they definitely aren't stats I made up...and yes they have plenty of truth, check PFF yourself, Cutler was #34 last year which from my own analysis is much much more accurate than having him in the low 20s...

25. McMichael

Heres something "passer rating" doesnt take into account:

THE PLAY OF THE ENTIRE REST OF THE TEAM, including the WRs catching for him, and the 5 man O-line blocking for him...Ill side with the rankings that do take those aspects into consideration...

Ray R, GUH-sick-EE and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  26. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

I think this team will be much improved over last year. Yes, we lost some vet talent, but we have a lot of young talent that I think has potential to fill the void. The offense will change to be what Gase is more comfortable, going through the TE instead of the slot receiver, supported by a strong, dynamic running game that can also serve as a safety valve for the QB.

I think Raekwon and Minkah will dramatically improve the play of the LB and S corps. This should also improve our performance, especially against teams with strong running games and TE threats.

Ray R and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  27. Dajesus

You did make them up because you said Ryan was never worse than 16, and that is false. In fact he has never been higher than 17 via pff and as bad as 28. As you can verify in the link I included.

I would also suggest if you are going to refer to rating system that isn’t the industry standard maybe reference, and add a link.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-this-season

Ray R and superphin like this.
  28. McMichael

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00.htm

10th, 10th, 14th, 11th, 10th....guess I had the 2 websites confused but I do remember for sure reading an article saying he never posted worse than 16th overall ...pretty sure it was from this forum going to try and find it now

Gabito, Ray R and Superself like this.
  29. Dajesus

That link is too his stats that do no prove he was ever ranked what you claim. Ryan has never been ranked 10th 3x in any shape way of form.

30. McMichael

Saying that passer rating is the industry standard is pretty crazy....its not even ESPNS standard anymore let alone actual NFL coaches....all it takes into account are the QBs yards, INT, td, comp %....that is no way to rank a QB on an 11 man offense

Ray R likes this.
  31. McMichael

Im pretty sure you missed the stat at the end of each line, AV....

It stands for approximate value and is their way of ranking him on a season by season basis

32. McMichael

So yes according to PFR, (not PFF), he has never been ranked outside of the top 15....im quite sure now that the article I read mentioning that had to be quoting PFR instead of PFF

33. McMichael

Im not the type of person that would make up stats just to try and prove my point lol

Ray R likes this.
  34. Dajesus

That has nothing to do with where he ranks to other QBs. The AV is better if it’s higher, not lower. Another swing and miss. Here is a link to what that means.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

35. Dajesus

It also doesnt add up because Jay Cutler has a 5 AV last year not a 32 as you claim.

36. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I say this every year, the Dolphins will get no respect until they start winning. IMO, the roster has been improved, no reason to think that the team shouldn't also.

37. McMichael

youre right anout the higher number being better, but I'm right about tannehill never being ranked outside the top 16 by that website....

Go look at AVs of Ben roethlisberger, Phillip rivers or Carson Palmer.... there is no way tannehills numbers wouldn't be top half of the league, hence the article that I originally even got that stat from...

38. McMichael

Same 5 years as Tanne -

Philip Rivers: 13, 12, 12, 10, 16

Big Ben: 12, 12, 10 ,15, 13

Carson P: 11, 10, 4, 12, 16

Eli Manning: 9, 14, 7, 7, 12

If you still dont believe Tannehill was top half of the league every year, look up someone like Geno Smith. Or even Kirk Cousins who everyone seems to agree is a decent QB.....Ill give you a hint there are a lot of 2s, 4s, 0s and 1s.......

39. Dajesus

Dude just stop. That isn’t a stat to compare. It’s why it isn’t a stat line when you look at qb ratings per year. Your original post said Jay Cutler was ranked 34 and Ryan was never worse than 16. That isn’t true on PFF, PFR, QBR, or QB rating. Just admit you were mistaken when you posted. It’s no big deal we have all done it. I posted something about Jarvis thinking it came from his IG, but it wasn’t his account. If Ryan was ranked as the 10th qb in the nfl 3x and never worse than 16 there would be no debate among fans and the national media if Ryan should still be our QB.

40. JahnDho

JahnDho Well-Known Member

I don’t like their signings overall. Can’t build with old and/or injury prone players. I’m another year away from believing this team can go 10-6. And most of their signings will be looking to be replaced in 1-3 years. Meanwhile, players like Harris are buried on the depth chart; wasting away as a high draft pick that should be a major contributor this year.