One thing Ryan Tannehill has that Dan Marino never did | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

One thing Ryan Tannehill has that Dan Marino never did

He actually played great towards the end of the season. Look at that stretch of games @NYJ, @ Pitt, vs NE. I think RT got hurt early in the Buffalo game which explains his mediocre play the last two weeks.

I actually agree with this even though i completely disagree about the original comment (Marino a game manager and not a gunslinger). I do think he got hurt in the Buffalo game (Knee) and wasn't able to push off as well effecting his accuracy. Mike Westhoff made the same comments today on WQAM with Joe Rose.

Don't get me wrong as I grew up a big fan of Marino, but I see an "it" factor with Tannehill that Dan Marino never had. QBs like Marino and Peyton were what I classify the "ultimate game managers"--They both usually made the right decision with the football, but never had that "gunslinger" mentality that won a QB like Eli Manning 2 super bowls. I think Tannehill is that guy.

Jeff Ireland was bad, but hey.... The guy gave the Dolphins a franchise QB.

This post rotted my brain.

One thing they both never did was make turrible threads on the internet such as this one.

Marino was always afraid to throw picks in big games(the ultimate reason he never won a championship). Say what you want about Tannehill, but he went down swinging vs. the Jets Wk 17.

Are you completely out of your head? For quite some time, Marino held the record for most attempts in a Super Bowl. Not sure if he still does.

Now, if you want to tell me that his inability to sell a PA pass had some bearing on his not winning a SB, I'll have that conversation.

But...saying Dan Marino never won a championship because he wasn't a gunslinger is like saying Steve Nash has never won a championship because he can't hit free throws.

Don't get me wrong as I grew up a big fan of Marino, but I see an "it" factor with Tannehill that Dan Marino never had. QBs like Marino and Peyton were what I classify the "ultimate game managers"--They both usually made the right decision with the football, but never had that "gunslinger" mentality that won a QB like Eli Manning 2 super bowls. I think Tannehill is that guy.

IMO thats why it took Brett Favre almost his whole 17-18 years to catch and break Marino records ,so i guess Favre wasnt considered a Gunslinger ? and Brees it took him almost all his best years to break one of Marino records so bro somebody is on something good , or something ..

Don't get me wrong as I grew up a big fan of Marino, but I see an "it" factor with Tannehill that Dan Marino never had. QBs like Marino and Peyton were what I classify the "ultimate game managers"--They both usually made the right decision with the football, but never had that "gunslinger" ...

Really. Dan Marino & Manning. Game Managers. Really. You're putting the two best pure passers ever to play on the same level as a game manager like Jay Fiedler, Chad Pennington, Trent Dilfer. Really. SMDH.

BTW, go back & look at #13 in his prime. Even when the end was near, nobody, NOBODY, matched that quick release.

I have heard a lot of football opinions in my life, many of which absolutely blew my mind. But I have never, ever in my life heard anyone call Peyton Manning a "ultimate game manager." I don't really even know what that means, nor do I want to try and find out. Peyton slings the ball as much as anyone, the guy isn't captain checkdown or plays the game safe. :err:

Dan would pass for 6000 yards and 60 TDs in Goodell's NFL. Like a lot of other astute posters on here have mentioned previously the Dan of the mid 80's is a lot different than the Dan of the 90's. Before what seemed like annual knee operations and the achilles tear he got into the pocket quickly plus his release=practically unstoppable. Unfortunately almost every team the Phins played was also unstoppable. Might of had something to do with our defense and Olivadotti.

If Marino, even in the 1990's, played in todays NFL, he would simply plunder & pillage the defenses. Def Coordinators would have no answer. He would tear Bill Belicheck a new one, rape Seattle's Legion of Boom.

So OP have you actually witnessed Marino play?

When you call #13 a game manager, u obviosly have not. SMDH.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

since we are on that game, let's not forget 4th-5 down by 3 at the Pats 39 final moments. Needed a FD and FG to send game to OT. A game manager (to me anyway) would have hit Byars or whoever it was that was wide open for the easy 5 and the FD - but what does Dan do? Sees Fryar manned on the outside by a safety - gives Fryar a little wink and then airs one deep, deep down the sideline and Fryar has to run under it, catches in perfect stride and breezes into the EZ for the TD and 4 point lead, game over. That's a gunslinger. The OP never saw Dan play. No freaking way.

1194, Fins @ Jets. Fake Spike game. Yeah, not a gunslinger.

This morning on Mike&Mike, they were talking about how much to penalize the legacy of QBs who never won SBs with Montana. Joe said "Danny" Marino was the most unbelievable passer and if playing under today's rules, he himself sure wouldn't want to face him. I don't know of a more glowing endorsement than one coming from an iconic 4X SB winner himself :idk:

Um..I have seen Dan Marino play. I think RT has more ability]

I want RT to be the answer. But he can't even connect on a long bomb the right way. Marino did it in his rookie yr. Against tougher defenses. Let that statement sink in. You need to step away from the KB.

Back
Top Bottom