P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI...

akfinfan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I just heard Peyton Manning answer a question from a South Florida reporter about Dan Marino at the AFC Championship press conference and while he was answering the question he stated that he called Dan Marino earlier this week and told Marino that he needs to do whatever he can do to get Eli Manning!!! This is no $hit the truth, and the press Conference is still on right now on ESPN NEWS!!!

You never now. Either that or Peyton Manning just said that to prevent a question from a reporter asking of Peyton Manning himself playing for Miami next season.

'bout the only way that could happen would be if he pulled an Elway and we'd still have to give whoever drafted him some ungodly compensation.

If we signed a good Offensive Lineman, a decent ##2 Receiver next to CC, and some other above average players in Free Agency, we could pull a Mike Ditka and get Eli Manning easily!!! :)

Imagine this notion is an ice cube. Now imagine that this same idea is in Hell. What chance do you think this idea has? Just curious.

P.S. I'm about 99.9% sure that Manning was just saying this to get the reporters off his back. With all of the preparations that are going on down in Indy for this weekend's game I don't think Manning is doing much campaign work for his little brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say this. The only thing [edit] Eli [edit] is lacking as compared to Peyton is the super studious approach. If he ends up in a good situation, like Miami with Marino, he will probably be better than Peyton because he has more of a "make it happen on the fly" nature than Peyton (not that Peyton is lacking there, either). He would probably be worth an entire draft, in that situation.

I've got a client who, unbeknownst to me until yesterday, is apparently buds with Archie. I don't have a clue who his newphew is, but he acted like I ought to know him. Apparently, the nephew was a TE at Ole Miss within the last couple or three years. To cut to the chase, Eli's been to his house and gave him a stolen Ole Miss helmet he autographed for a present at one time or another.

That's still not the point, but here's what the guy told me. He said that Archie told him that Peyton studied the game, worked on the game since he was a child and made himself into the QB that he is today. He said Eli was born a QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
agua, that last statement sent chills down my spine...THAT is the reason we need to get him, somehow....

Yes I think we need to get him as well. If Marino wants an other shot at a Super Bowl, that would be a big start. Ricky and Chambers and Eli, oh my!!

I don't know though. Peyton is the QB he is today because he studied the game so much and still does.

Physical gifts don't make a QB's career. Every QB has to become a real student of the game if he wants to win. Even Mike Vick found that out in his first year.

In the NFL nothing is impossible. Teams do things that seem like a crazy idea at the time, but then it works out in the end.

Take for example we could package two defensive stars (not going to say who, just use your imagination) and offer them, plus our first round pick to a top three team. They still get a first rounder, AND set their defense up for a good long run.

We get Manning, plus still have our entire draft to fill in the defense we lost. Remember now, both our starting CB's were 2nd rounders, Jason a third, Zach a fifth...hell O gun was undrafted if I remember correctly!

We then retool the O Line using players we already have, and add just one or two soild vets via FA.

Ricky Williams, Eli Manning, a re-tooled O line...patch in the defense, and we have a solid future.

So in theory, it is very possible to grab Eli...just have to make it work.

P.S. Don't forget though, Marino was a late first round pick...so just because Eli is supposed to be good, maybe Spielman and Co have a better idea. ;)

Ogunleye was only undrafted because he blew out his knee. He was said to be a 1st rounder before that injury.

A lot of guys, you just can't eliminate the boneheaded decisions. Its a numbers game. We waited forever for Fiedler to eliminate his and in the end even Brett Favre has to succumb to stupid rookie mistakes that cost a season. Its all about using a QB's talent to get the team in a position where his costly errors will not be able to hurt you THAT much.

Back
Top Bottom