P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI...

Originally posted by Jaj
Much rather pick Reggie Williams who in any other draft would be the #1 overall WR. He is only turning 21 by draft day as well and has ridiculous talent and has work ethic.

i would rather have TO.

Originally posted by Jaj
Much rather pick Reggie Williams who in any other draft would be the #1 overall WR. He is only turning 21 by draft day as well and has ridiculous talent and has work ethic.

Can he throw the deep pass to himself? He better be able to, or getting him is a moot point.

What is that supposed to mean? You would rather take a QB prospect who has a big chance of being a bust instead of a bit time WR prospect. The difference between Reggie Williams and any of the second tier QBs at their respective positions is huge.

Offcourse you would rather have T.O. Who wouldn't(well most would), but that has nothing to do with the draft.

Originally posted by Jaj
What is that supposed to mean? You would rather take a QB prospect who has a big chance of being a bust instead of a bit time WR prospect. The difference between Reggie Williams and any of the second tier QBs at their respective positions is huge.

no, I'm saying I'd like to take the closest thing to a sure fire franchise QB that's come into the draft since his brother (who is lighting up the NFL by it's way). If I had a bet, I'd say your WR has a bigger chance to be a bust than Eli. The draft is a crap shoot, but Eli is #1 because he has raw talent. Side by Side with Payton, he has a better arm, and is more accurate. He knows football as well. I'd take him before ANY other QB. The draft is a gamble, his history and the comparisons between him and his brother make him less of one. We are actually in a position to get a #1 QB. We won't be in this position again for a long time (god willing). We need the QB to compliment our young offense. It's MORE than due time to take one high.

Eli is a completely different story. Reggie Williams is just one pick. Eli would require our two firsts this year and a 1st next year at the least.

Tough call. Would he be worth 3 #1's? In Miami, maybe. It ain't like we've done much with our few #1's recently. BTW, when's the last #1 pick we had? Fletcher?

Rick's call. Might be an early tell as to the influence Dan can exert.

I don't know maybe it is worth it if really Manning is the so called surest prospect than Peyton. It would be a huge move.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Physical gifts don't make a QB's career. Every QB has to become a real student of the game if he wants to win. Even Mike Vick found that out in his first year.

I agree but it does help if your QB has some gifts. I think that Archie was probably referring to Eli's instincts and feel for the game when he made the born a QB statement. we all know that he's not as physically gifted as Vick! ;)

Originally posted by Jaj
Eli is a completely different story. Reggie Williams is just one pick. Eli would require our two firsts this year and a 1st next year at the least.

I have my reservations on that. I don't think it would take THREE first round picks. I think it would be more likely to take our 2 this year, and a conditional next year. And if by some stroke of luck he actually plays next season and kicks ars then the conditional pick would be well worth it. I'm willing to give up 2 firsts and a 2nd down the road, or throw in a certain aging DB from our team. But that'd be a helluva cap hit. Like 5 mil I think. We should talk to him about restructruing or something.

I dont like the pick of Eli....we need to get T.O. in FA and also draft either the guy from Miami-O or Losman......then let Losman or Miami-O guy sit for 1/2 a season or a full season.......and of course upgrade our oline in the process as well.

:mrt:

Ok, obviously only opinion all the way around. "Sure fire, can't miss"? Peyton was that for any club because of his studious approach. He could have gone anywhere (and in fact, in Indianapolis, he did ... low rung on the ladder ... only way they got him). More so than Ryan Leaf who had the talent but lacked the dedication.

I don't think Eli is the "sure thing" for EVRY club out there. Depends on where he lands. Miami? Maybe he is a sure thing. Arizona? Maybe not. See what I'm getting at? Moreso than with Peyton, it depends on where he ends up because he needs to acquire the professionalism.

At this point my favorite rout would be to draft a WR like Williams or Clayton and Vernon Carey or Center Jake Grove. Then spend a third on a QB we can groom. Find the best QB coach available to do it. Next sign a vet. in FA. And we are set on O.

Back
Top Bottom