P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI...

BTW I can foresee a scenario we'd get Eli in but I doubt it would involve defensive stars because of the salary cap.

Rather I think it would depend on whether or not we can get a 1st for Ogun, and if that 1st would be higher than our current one. If we use those two and a 1st rounder in 2005, it might be possible.

But after that, we wouldn't pick again til Round 3 so it would be hard to re-stock the D in that one scenario you spoke of 87.

The most I could see happening is the two firsts, the future first, and a player...but not a Taylor/Surtain type. Maybe Madison. I could see that, but you gotta understand that Madison does not hold that much value in trade even with teams realizing if we traded him WE eat all the dead cap weight they just have to pay his base salaries which are immense.

I think we would have to give up to much to get Eli.

We could take J P losman at 20 ,bolster our feeble OL and WR corps, and add a decent FA or two with what it would take to get Eli. In the long run we will be better off.

Steve

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I don't know though. Peyton is the QB he is today because he studied the game so much and still does.

Physical gifts don't make a QB's career. Every QB has to become a real student of the game if he wants to win. Even Mike Vick found that out in his first year.

Agree completely. That's why I said "if he gets in the right situation". The client also told me he hoped to hell Eli didn't go to the Saints for that reason, even though he's (the client) a Saints fanatic.

If Big Ben jumps over Eli or the other way around this is very possible. We can trade two first rounders and get into the 5-10 range and nab the 2nd QB, because from what I hear from friends in Arizona is that they want to keep McCown. Either Roethlisberger or Eli would do.

Originally posted by SWS84
I think we would have to give up to much to get Eli.

We could take J P losman at 20 ,bolster our feeble OL and WR corps, and add a decent FA or two with what it would take to get Eli. In the long run we will be better off.

Steve

Well, I think at least in the short run, we'd be better off. Wayne made a point of interrupting Rick at the PC to say "We want to win now". I get the gut feel they're looking at a 2 year window with our defensive stars. A rookie QB ain't gonna get us there.

OTOH, and I cringed when I heard it, did anyone else pick up on the potential significance of Dan talking about great football and the KC / Indy game (the difference in the game was a fumble and something or other ... Championship football). You get the feeling that if he had the reins, he'd go for the days of 48-42 shootouts with the Jets. As unpopular as this will come off, to me that period was the most horrendous of any in Phin history: zero defense - whoever scores last wins.

Originally posted by Jaj
If Big Ben jumps over Eli or the other way around this is very possible. We can trade two first rounders and get into the 5-10 range and nab the 2nd QB, because from what I hear from friends in Arizona is that they want to keep McCown. Either Roethlisberger or Eli would do.

Honestly, I think you'd have to trade an entire draft and probably a future first rounder to get him. Maybe a star D player in place of the first rounder.

That's not really true considering he hated it when his defense gave up on him.

anyone remember the deal for vick, we can probably compare it to that... should be something similar (same team, same position being drafted)

no we cant because san diego had the 5th overall pick to offer and we only pick at 20, dunno about the rest of the deal but if you trade "only" four spots will get you cheaper than filling 19 spots..

Hell, he's outta reach. Realistically, he's outta reach unless the team decides on a new timetable.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
BTW I can foresee a scenario we'd get Eli in but I doubt it would involve defensive stars because of the salary cap.

Rather I think it would depend on whether or not we can get a 1st for Ogun, and if that 1st would be higher than our current one. If we use those two and a 1st rounder in 2005, it might be possible.

But after that, we wouldn't pick again til Round 3 so it would be hard to re-stock the D in that one scenario you spoke of 87.

The most I could see happening is the two firsts, the future first, and a player...but not a Taylor/Surtain type. Maybe Madison. I could see that, but you gotta understand that Madison does not hold that much value in trade even with teams realizing if we traded him WE eat all the dead cap weight they just have to pay his base salaries which are immense.

If contracts are re-structured, then anything is possible.

We are not keeping Ogun, I can almost guarentee that one. He will get tagged with the first round tender, and someone out there looking for a pro bowl DE will make that deal.

Now we have two first round picks, and all we have to do is get one of our CB's to re-structure to a cap friendly deal, and you toss them into the mix.

I really think two first round picks, plus a Pat or Sam, gets us into the top three.

HOWEVER, I wouls rather use the two first rounders on solid players (one of which a QB, and the other a WR or O lineman)

I think that would be the wiser move...but what do I know. ;)

I see it as very possible to nab the second QB, at this point Roethlisberger without too much trouble. But Manning, kinda out of reach.

it's clearly in SD best intrest to trade the #1 pick. they can always find another QB first round (if thats the direction they wanna go) and have another pick to get some defense. they can't pass on manning, or the raiders (division team) will get him.

they need much more then a QB.. 2 first rounders is lovley.. having the 1st pick in the 2nd round helps too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom