P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

P.Manning called Marino this past week about ELI...

To win NOW, yeah. Pick up best available OL / WR in 1 & 3. See what's out there in QB and turn it into a competition with Jay. That's the most efficient approach for WIN NOW.

Originally posted by Agua
To win NOW, yeah. Pick up best available OL / WR in 1 & 3. See what's out there in QB and turn it into a competition with Jay. That's the most efficient approach for WIN NOW.

We've been in the "win now" approach for years now, and it's got us nowhere. I believe this team is one offensive spark away from the super bowl, but we had a "window of oppertunity" when Dan was here. And then we had a "window of oppertunity" with this defense about 2 years back, and now we have another "window of oppertunity".

Tell me, when do we start looking to the future a little bit? The FA is used to sign NOW players. Not many rookies come off the bench starting. The draft is used for players of the future. We haven't selected a QB above the 4th round since Marino left. We NEED a QB. The FO should have looked ahead and drafted a QB high BEFORE Marino retired. But they didn't, and we're SOL.

Go for the win now, but to pass up a chance at a potential franchise QB is a gaudy move. Try to win now by signing vet. players (brunelle), use the FA to patch up the O-line, and TRY to get a second string WR.

But in the draft, we NEED to sign a QB with our top pick. I want Eli, but could live with Rivers (NOT Lossman!). Then use the other picks to take a WR and fill the OL. We should be able to find a deal at WR in the low rounds, so FA should be used to sign a vet. QB, and patch up the OL if possible. But we need to start grooming at QB NOW. Our defense will fall apart in about 2 years, they'll be too expensive to keep, and are getting old. THe future of this team is our young offense, we need to start drafting for it after years of neglect.

Originally posted by Graythreat

We've been in the "win now" approach for years now, and it's got us nowhere. I believe this team is one offensive spark away from the super bowl, but we had a "window of oppertunity" when Dan was here. And then we had a "window of oppertunity" with this defense about 2 years back, and now we have another "window of oppertunity".

Tell me, when do we start looking to the future a little bit? The FA is used to sign NOW players. Not many rookies come off the bench starting. The draft is used for players of the future. We haven't selected a QB above the 4th round since Marino left. We NEED a QB. The FO should have looked ahead and drafted a QB high BEFORE Marino retired. But they didn't, and we're SOL.

Go for the win now, but to pass up a chance at a potential franchise QB is a gaudy move. Try to win now by signing vet. players (brunelle), use the FA to patch up the O-line, and TRY to get a second string WR.

But in the draft, we NEED to sign a QB with our top pick. I want Eli, but could live with Rivers (NOT Lossman!). Then use the other picks to take a WR and fill the OL. We should be able to find a deal at WR in the low rounds, so FA should be used to sign a vet. QB, and patch up the OL if possible. But we need to start grooming at QB NOW. Our defense will fall apart in about 2 years, they'll be too expensive to keep, and are getting old. THe future of this team is our young offense, we need to start drafting for it after years of neglect.

Hear hear...also though, need to use some of the lower picks on D guys if some good-potential guys are there. Can't completely ignore D, but put it on the back-burner for this year's draft...sure.

Well, what can I say? That's the dilemna. Future or now. Wayne said now. Maybe Dan gets his ear and says "blow it all on a QB". We'll see.

In Danny's message he also said, "now (meaning 2004 season)."

We'll see I guess....can't wait to see the draft / FA direction.

Well, what can I say? That's the dilemna. Future or now. Wayne said now. Maybe Dan gets his ear and says "blow it all on a QB". We'll see.

but that's the thing, we have the chance for BOTH. That's why Wayne kept Wanny.

Brining in a new coach, and allowing a clear out of the FO would mean we're banking TOTALLY in the future. Something that I'm not willing to do. I have my reservations about getting it done with our D, but i think we at least have a chance with it. It's a great D, and like I say we're a single offensive spark away from being SB contenders.

So bringing in a new coach is like banking on the future, and scrapping our team for a rebuild. But keeping Wanny in his previous job (as GM too) would mean we were trying to win now. This would be detremental. Wanny knows he's on the fence as far as his job goes. He would use his GM powers to win NOW, because 2 years down the road won't help him. That could possibly hurt us for years to come. Besides the fact that he makes bad personell decisions.

So what did he do? He took the best of both worlds. He kept a coach that NEEDS to win now. Anyone else on the market was a big ? as to whether they were an upgrade over Wanny. Wanny's main problem has been that he doesn't have an eye for bringin in talent. So he took that away from him. He can focus totally on coaching. And he WILL do his best to win, because he has to to stay around.

Spielmen is here to bring in Personell for the TEAM. He will be given the job of building our team around the future (ricky, chambers, McMichael) stars of our team, while bargain hunting for talent on the FA that would help us win now.

Wayne has a coach that HAS to win, and a GM who now has the power to build our team without being over ruled by a coach who wants to win now in order to keep his job.

And Dan is being groomed for something else. At the ver least he knows what it takes to run an offense. Hopefuly he can apply that to pick out good talent that will provide that spark to our offense.

It's a great situation, and I think Wayne's moves make sense. We can have the best of both worlds at this point. Win now, and build for later.

We'll see.

Not being a nay-sayer, but I can envision conflict, easily, between a hell-bent-for-offense Dan, a Wanny resenting interference in his conservative "let the D win it", and RIck caught in the middle.

I'm certain, well, at least hopeful, they will understand they have to get on the same damned page as far as short and long term goals.

Now, watch this theme end up in a Miami paper. Thieves. LOLOL.

We'll see.

Not being a nay-sayer, but I can envision conflict, easily, between a hell-bent-for-offense Dan, a Wanny resenting interference in his conservative "let the D win it", and RIck caught in the middle.

I'm certain, well, at least hopeful, they will understand they have to get on the same damned page as far as short and long term goals.

Now, watch this theme end up in a Miami paper. Thieves. LOLOL.

I hear a lot of people saying they see conflict, but I really don't.

In the past, it's been Spielmen taking marching orders from Dave. And for the most part he's done a great job. Right after we missed the playoff's, everyone predicted Spielmen was out, he was supposed to be the fall man.

But now that he's in the drivers seat, I think he'll make his own calls. It would be career suicide to listen to Dave more than Danny. You know Marino's there for the long haul, where as Dave is contingent on winning.

I also don't think Spielmen will be "in bed" with Wanny. He was supposed to take the fall for him after all, and Spielmen's track record would include Breese instead of Fletcher, and Anquan Boldin had Dave not over ruled him. I thin Breese could have done well i Miami had he been on our bench for awhile, even though he's not doing well in SD.

Look it is basically if San Diego skips Eli we have a shot. That is the way the value chart works.

Back
Top Bottom