Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram visiting Dolphins | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pass Rusher Melvin Ingram visiting Dolphins

Miami needs more depth at LB. Not sure Ingram has anything left in the tank. But I understand the interest. I'd pass on him, personally. JMO.
Do you know who else is out there? Any other potential bargains who could help?

Do you know who else is out there? Any other potential bargains who could help?
Justin Houston, but I'm not sure he's much better than Ingram. As far as Melvin Ingram goes, this has a classic NE feel to it. New England always seems to sign F/A late in the process and squeezing something out of them to produce. Hopefully Ingram becomes productive again, if Miami signs him. Low risk, high reward potential here!!!

DE and LB are the 2 areas I think Miami will address in the offseason. I love the draft prospects for 2022 at DL and LB.

We NEED a situational pass rusher for rotational purposes, if for no other reason, to keep us from overusing Ogbah, AVG, and Phillips.

Front 7 pass rushers never play more than 75-80% of defensive snaps and keeping them fresh is a serious priority. If Ingram has anything left, and if he'll work cheap, this would be an excellent signing... even if he only chips in with 4 or 5 sacks.

That said, it doesn't have to be Ingram, but there aren't many options left.

Work him out and if he looks good enough, then sign him and give him a chance. I like this idea. Been interested in him since FA began.

Wouldn't be a bad move, but I'm curious if the plan is to bring him in for depth, or would Ingram and Ogbah start and Phillips serve as depth during his rookie season. Seems like Ingram would be pricey for a reserve role. My guess is the front 7 would be Wilkins, Davis, Ogbah, Ingram, Baker, McKinney and Van Ginkle. That might not be a big name unit for casual non-Dolphin NFL fans, but that would be a serious front unit to play infront of a top level secondary.

Wouldn't be a bad move, but I'm curious if the plan is to bring him in for depth, or would Ingram and Ogbah start and Phillips serve as depth during his rookie season. Seems like Ingram would be pricey for a reserve role. My guess is the front 7 would be Wilkins, Davis, Ogbah, Ingram, Baker, McKinney and Van Ginkle. That might not be a big name unit for casual non-Dolphin NFL fans, but that would be a serious front unit to play infront of a top level secondary.
Set starters on defense is an old idea; Front seven (or more accurately, front 6) players rotate more than they ever have before. Looking at their snap counts is usually more instructive than whether they 'started'.

Here's what the 'phins did last year...

We NEED a situational pass rusher for rotational purposes, if for no other reason, to keep us from overusing Ogbah, AVG, and Phillips.

Front 7 pass rushers never play more than 75-80% of defensive snaps and keeping them fresh is a serious priority. If Ingram has anything left, and if he'll work cheap, this would be an excellent signing... even if he only chips in with 4 or 5 sacks.

That is *best case scenario* in my opinion. More than likely, after coming off a 0 sack and injury filled season, I think we would be happy with 2-3 sacks, some pressures, and 25% of snaps.

He really isn’t close to the player he was in his prime. Signing him to a 1 year contract at the veterans minimum might be worth the risk but that is about all he might be worth at this time.

That is *best case scenario* in my opinion. More than likely, after coming off a 0 sack and injury filled season, I think we would be happy with 2-3 sacks, some pressures, and 25% of snaps.
We couldn't draft for every need on draft weekend, but I'm glad to see that the front office realizes that we are short on pass rushers and continue to look for one. That alone makes me feel better about their direction. Ingram... Houston... whoever... we need to bring in a veteran to soak up some snaps.

The $64 question is ... who shows up? Is it the guy from a few years ago all healed up and ready to dominate, or is it a formerly ultra-speedy guy who has now lost a step and become an unreliable pass rusher? Yes, some team may indeed get a steal. But if he ends up being the latter, he might be a colossal flop as a FA and get cut after 1 season and a lot of dead cap. Am I intrigued? Hellz yes, who wouldn't be!!! But this one comes with a very large and bright orange BUYER BEWARE sticker, that even in the art-deco district of Miami ... should stand out.

Personally, I'm not ready to make this gamble right now, because we're building something special on defense, and we can become great without making a massive gamble, IMHO.
Doesn't it really depend on price though?

I is a risk v reward situation, but if he takes a reasonable contract, with little gauranteed, I'm in.

IMO Houston would be much better but also would cost much more and doubt he would take a one year prove it deal.

Here's what we did on the front 6 last year:

Lawson 55% of defensive snaps
Ogbah 77%
Strowbridge 5%
Wilkins 62%
Sieler 52%
Godchaux 17%
Davis 52%
B. Jones 5%
Baker 84%
Van Noy 78%

Munson 5%
Roberts 39%
Van Ginkle 46%
Grugier-Hill 20%
Eguavoen 8%

As you can see, only 3 players played as much as 75% of the snaps. Rotation is the name of the game in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom