Paul | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paul

Suamataia was available. Damn!​

Yep and the Chiefs moved up to take him a few picks later. My amateur leaning was for pick 55 to be any of Paul, Sumataia or Amegadjie (who went a bit later to the Bears). These are the second tier of OTs, with risks and high celings. All three had LT experience, top level size measurables, good intangibles e.g. work ethic and aggression and fell out of the first tier of tackles due to technique deficiencies. We came away with one of the three and so i am satusfied at this point--not having any substantiated conviction that one was a better bet than the others. With Butch Barry i feel like the team can get good to elite O Linemen a round later than they would have to without competent coaching.

One downside here is that we will have him under rookie contract only 3 years from the time he is expected to become a starter (though the cap hit will be much less than a 1st rounder would have cost).

I've not a problem with Paul the player it's just there was better talent on the board for now, to play now not in 2025. Ok If Armstead goes down which on previous experience he probably will he's there as depth, I just didn't want depth in the first AND 2nd rounds this year

Grier drafts on needs and on projection of talent. If your being forced to draft positions because of needs that indicates you failed earlier in both acquiring and resigning talent attained in prior years for your club.
If you are a successful gm you don't draft to fill holes but draft the bpa based on college production.
In the past NFL when drafted players could be locked in and the free agency options available today were not available then Griers picks would make more sense.
In today's NFL it's all about production and what can you do today nor down the road because that creates cap space.
We just lost a ton of talent for this reason alone because we have not drafted well and thus overpaid in fa.

Round 1 should have been a cb and round 2 a interior oline that was where the value was.
I will agree the value at #21 was CB and still think that should have been the pick (acknowledging I coukd be way wrong if Chop lives up to the Micah Parsons comps/projections). Second round I thought the team has the right idea taking a high celing, needs-a-year LT. Higher value position than IOL and it does time up to an anticipated need.

Picks should always be an alignment of needs and BPA (needs being defined with a 3-5 year view, preferably not requiring any rookie to start on day 1), and BPA being defined more by positional scarcity/cost). If those two do not intersect at any given slot then trading down for more or future picks should always be attempted.

Last edited:
This is a false narrative that I see spreading throughout fin heaven. Grier has already stated he can play both tackle positions and he can easily play guard if needed
He COULD play wherever. Doesn’t mean he’d be good at it. Jackson was a mediocre LT and a terrible LG before he found his home at RT. The kid already had technique issues and he is much better in pass pro than run blocking. Moving him around will not help him in anyway. There is next to zero chance we drafted him over Suamataia to play RG; the easiest position on the OL to replace. The kid is Armstead insurance; he will end up playing when half our OL is hurt this year and will take over when Armstead retires.

I didn't know anything about Paul before I started reading this thread. I like the pick and understand why we took him. No doubt he has work to do, but I think he has the personality to persevere. We know he signed off on Paul, so I am excited to see what Barry can do with him! (Armstead should help him, too!)When reading the scouting report below, I was surprised to see a guy with 36.25" arms bench 30 reps! With such long arms that **** is hard to do. I realize that may not help him with his footwork, but it shows he's a hard worker. As we all know, putting in the effort is half the battle. We can't learn or get better if we don't try. Another thing I like is he's a legitimate LT. We have our RT in Jackson, so I was happy to see us find someone who has a chance to replace Armstead when he leaves.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/patrick-paul/32005041-5531-5620-7bbd-28573053873c

Last edited:
We all saw how competent coaching helped our OLine. They picked this guy for a reason. They see something special and they feel they can coach him. It’s not always about the flashy more “talented” player in college. Sometimes it’s about the right fit and how the player will transcend his game in the NFL

Yet he's like the 150th prospect on some boards..... everyone says he has bad technique......

WTF, something doesn't add up
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

"Paul relinquished only two sacks in 1,053 pass-block snaps in 2022 and 2023." And that's WITH bad technique. Yes, I know that's against college competition, but still impressive.

We all saw how competent coaching helped our OLine. They picked this guy for a reason. They see something special and they feel they can coach him. It’s not always about the flashy more “talented” player in college. Sometimes it’s about the right fit and how the player will transcend his game in the NFL

Technique can be coached. Athletic talent can't.

Back
Top Bottom