Penn State: Punitive Measures announced Monday | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Penn State: Punitive Measures announced Monday

Just one thing......................

Penn St BLOWS. :lol:

On the "NCAA has no jurisdiction" front:

If this judgement amounts to a competitive disadvantage (which I doubt anyone would argue with), then how could a cover up -- which for 13 years prevented the punishment -- have been anything but a competitive advantage for Penn State during in the years when Paterno and others smothered the story?

Surely those who actively engaged in the cover up were worried about more than their legacies or Penn State's good name. They were worried about the program being affected, about losing scholarships and bowl games. To me it seems clear the absence of deserved punishment amounts to a competitive advantage, which would therefore mean the NCAA has jurisdiction.

Does anyone have a thought along these lines?

On the "NCAA has no jurisdiction" front:

If this judgement amounts to a competitive disadvantage (which I doubt anyone would argue with), then how could a cover up -- which for 13 years prevented the punishment -- have been anything but a competitive advantage for Penn State during in the years when Paterno and others smothered the story?

Surely those who actively engaged in the cover up were worried about more than their legacies or Penn State's good name. They were worried about the program being affected, about losing scholarships and bowl games. To me it seems clear the absence of deserved punishment amounts to a competitive advantage, which would therefore mean the NCAA has jurisdiction.

Does anyone have a thought along these lines?

My thought is it us the NCAA's host and they make the rules. Every organization has a catch all rule they can user. Just like law enforcement careless driving, disorderly conduct etc.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

They sacrificed the appeal by signing in agreement of the sanctions.

I was speaking of the victims lawsuits which to my knowledge gabber not been settled.

My thought is it us the NCAA's host and they make the rules. Every organization has a catch all rule they can user. Just like law enforcement careless driving, disorderly conduct etc.

I was hoping for a response more rational than some version of "they can do anything they want", perhaps something even based in facts.

I was hoping for a response more rational than some version of "they can do anything they want", perhaps something even based in facts.

This is as blatant a case of lack of institutional control as you'll ever find. There;s also NCAA bylaws regarding ethics. This clearly constitutes ethics violations. NCAA is most certainly within their jurisdiction to hammer Penn State.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knowing your post history I highly doubt anything we tell you is going to change your mind. I suggest you google ncaa rules and regulations and as you read keep the quote the NCAA rep told us my freshman year "playing college athletics is a privilege not a right, and step out puff line and e can take that privilege from you at anytime!"

Knowing your post history I highly doubt anything we tell you is going to change your mind. I suggest you google ncaa rules and regulations and as you read keep the quote the NCAA rep told us my freshman year "playing college athletics is a privilege not a right, and step out puff line and e can take that privilege from you at anytime!"

I happen to agree with you generally on what should have happened to Penn State. I just find your arguments in favor of your position spurious and hot tempered.

I happen to agree with you generally on what should have happened to Penn State. I just find your arguments in favor of your position spurious and hot tempered.

No it is spot on from the top of the institutions power structure they not only conspired to conceal child rape, but they fostered a environment that let the same predator continue to rape victims on the campus they were in charge of. Their only excuse was it would damage a football team! Unacceptable!

This is as blatant a case of lack of institutional control as you'll ever find. There;s also NCAA bylaws regarding ethics. This clearly constituents ethics violations. NCAA is most certainly within their jurisdiction to hammer Penn State.

Actually it seems like the institution was perfectly in control. That's sort of the problem in this case. Does anyone have the exact standards on what "lack of institutional control" really means rather than what it implies?

The ethics bylaws don't really deal with coverups of criminal investigations. Of course it says "not limited to" but generally deals with improper financial aid, falsifying grades and so on. Not the covering up of a crime by a coach (and other school executives) of a coach.

The key for me is that the coverup seems to have provided a competitive advantage for Penn State but it's not an argument I really see being advanced and I'm curious as to why.

No it is spot on from the top of the institutions power structure they not only conspired to conceal child rape, but they fostered a environment that let the same predator continue to rape victims on the campus they were in charge of. Their only excuse was it would damage a football team! Unacceptable!

I'm aware of the facts of the case. Were I in charge of meting out punishment I would have shut down the football program, not just for a period of years but permanently.

But you are not advancing arguments, you are merely stating feelings. A perfectly relevant part of the discussion, but it doesn't answer my particular question.

Actually it seems like the institution was perfectly in control. That's sort of the problem in this case. Does anyone have the exact standards on what "lack of institutional control" really means rather than what it implies?

The ethics bylaws don't really deal with coverups of criminal investigations. Of course it says "not limited to" but generally deals with improper financial aid, falsifying grades and so on. Not the covering up of a crime by a coach (and other school executives) of a coach.

The key for me is that the coverup seems to have provided a competitive advantage for Penn State but it's not an argument I really see being advanced and I'm curious as to why.

A lack of institutional control is found when the Committee on Infractions determines that major violations occurred and the institution failed to display: (1) Adequate compliance measures. (2) Appropriate education on those compliance measures. (3) Sufficient monitoring to ensure the compliance measures are followed. (4) Swift action upon learning of a violation.

They clearly broke (4) at least.

There's nothing ethical about covering up child rape. A cover up which as you said, theoretically game them a competitive advantage. The NCAA can do whatever they want. The Board of Directors gave Emmert permission to go against the usual precedent because this is an unprecedented case, and that's exactly what happened. Nobody is going to challenge the NCAA on it, nor should they.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/sto...enn-state-joe-paterno-exposed-ncaa-no-1-fraud

Really puts into perspective how much of a hypocrite piece of **** Paterno was. Gotta love how Paterno was seriously considering leaving Penn State to save Miami from the Pell Grant scandal but decided a holier-than-thou Penn State guy like him taking over Miami is just throwing salt into the wound.

Thank whatever God you might believe in that he stayed at Penn State.

He wouldn't have recruited the same players that we did back then. He would have been terrified to knock on doors in Overtown and Liberty City and would have died much earlier in his life trying to walk those streets.

Although the child rapes probably wouldn't have happened even if Sandusky came with him. Kids back then were armed at that age.

LOL @ Penn State was on the opposite end of the spectrum. That's what we thought. Looks like Paterno was an old school troll. Fooled everyone.

Doesn't look like Al Golden will be riding into Happy Valley to save that program though.

Isn't happy another word for gay?

Back
Top Bottom