Personnel changes to OL | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Personnel changes to OL

To me Hunt has a guard's body and he can be a multi-pro bowl guard. Eichenberg looks the part and I think he will be solid at one of the tackle spots.

I am not a Dieter fan and Mancz might be able to bring us some veteran leadership on the field. Guys were just lost and having a veteran out there might help.

Kindley looks like a low ceiling guy because he can't hit a moving target. He's not good at the second level.

Austin Jackson is slumping miserably. I think he has lost all technique and confidence out there. He's the toughest to gauge because there is still upside there. He hasn't worked at guard that I know of, but that might be what salvages his career if he doesn't improve and develop at Tackle, and by that, I mean, this freaking year.

Of the backups, I was impressed by Jones at guard. He looks like he has an edge about him, and unlike Kindley, can pop a guy on the move. Little looked to me like he moved his feet pretty well. The problem for us, as fans, is we only saw Jones and Little against third stringers. I can't project either as a starter unless the staff shows some confidence in them.

Translation. It's a good discussion and a total mess.

I guess what I would consider next week would be:

Jackson-Kindley-Mancz-Hunt-Eichenberg

Long term, I've been on the Jackson to guard and Igbo to safety train. (Both have some ability but something isn't clicking right now. Igbo and Holland might be a damn good safety tandem with Brandon Jones also playing as a third safety.)

As long as Jackson and kindley are benched I’m good. I’d like to see Jones and the other training camp kid I forgot his name already

I would put Jackson on bench and and start encinberg. Then I would offer extra tight end to block and running back to chip

Did Decastro have surgery? Or would he play on the hurt ankle?

From what I've seen he had/has surgery done and will see how his body recovers. Of the bone spurs come back he'll probably just retire

The offensive line isn’t working. That much is clear to everyone. And unless it gets better – fast – it’ll spell the end for any hope we had for a successful season. During his presser today, Flo said they’ll consider personnel changes to the OL. So, if you were calling the shots, what changes would you like to see? Who do you want out there next Sunday?

I’ll get us started with two possibilities:

Little – Jones – Deiter – Hunt – Eich

Eich – Jones – Deiter – Davis – Hunt

What say you, FinHeaven?
EICH - Jones - Deiter- Kindley - Hunt

I asked in another thread but didnt get an answer on if Mitchell Schwartz was still available in free agency. 10x better than our current tackles.
Yes he's available. He's still injured and will cost more money than we have.

Also, why would he come here? Youd think he would hold out for an injury on the BUCS or Chiefs or some major SB contender.

I'm sure 32 teams have his agent on speed dial. The major problem with OL acquisitions in season are: no one worth a damn is available. Schwartz could also be more injured than previously let on.

The problem for us, as fans, is we only saw Jones and Little against third stringers. I can't project either as a starter unless the staff shows some confidence in them.
The coaching staff decided that Sunday's o-line is the best o-line they can put on the field, and you're gonna trust their take on Little and Jones? :shrug:

No changes needed apparently.
Here's what Flo said today:
- In terms of Tua coming back and playing behind the offensive line coming off such a poor performance, Flores says he's confident the necessary adjustments and improvement will be made. Flores says the O-line won't play a role on whether Tua will play Sunday
Flo must REALLY love Brissett b/c he's going to be seeing a lot more of him if the OL doesn't play a role in his decision.

Eich came in at RT for the second half. I imagine that change to carry into this week. So at minimum

Jackson Kindley Dieter Hunt Eich

I'm on Twitter lurking for an Austin Jackson supporter...

They are few and far between...so much so that I can't find one.

...but I'm Iooking!

Yeah, the OL said the bills were doing things they haven't seen. That is a coaching problem more than a player problem. On the other hand, I didn't see any crazy blitzes or anything. They were beating our 5 linemen and a RB with only 4 guys...
That's on both, remember that the coaches cant play the game for the players. If the linemen aren't communicating, whiff on blocks, and the backs and TEs dont do there part...hell even receivers need to wake the hell up and adjust and communicate if they see something. The Qb needs to also read the D and adjust accordingly...It goes beyond coaching to a point and the players need to be held accountable.

We all keep talking about the OL and rightfully so. No way around it they were absolutely a mess yesterday. However something I haven’t seen mentioned a lot of is the actual formations or changing the play at the LOS.

I think the best way to at this would be...

LT- Jackson/Davis
LG- Kindley
C- Dieter
RG- Eichenberg/Hunt
RT- Hunt/Eichenberg

Mix and match until you find the right personnel. However here’s the point of my post and changing or installing a new formation or 2. I’d like to see more 2 or even 3 TE sets. Smythe is a pretty good blocking TE and so is Shaheen but I believe he’s still injured but we also have Hunter Long who has a nice balance of blocking and receiving. At Boston College he did a ton of chipping and blocking out of 2 TE formations with BCs downhill running attack.

Going to 2/3 TE sets will help the OL tremendously and take some pressure off of them especially guys like Jackson who is struggling in 1 on 1 situations. Now obviously we can’t just change the overall offense. We have to go with what we’ve installed at this point. However installing a 2 TE formation will still allow us to keep our base plays and will still allow us to operate within the structure of the RPO offense.

We are abandoning the running game way to early and way to much. Gaskins is no superstar but the kid ain’t no scrub either. I’d like to see him get 15-20 carries a game along with another 8-10 to Ahmed/Brown. We have to take some pressure off the OL and allow them to gain some confidence. How do you do that? You let them get down and dirty and keep it simple by running the football. We need to go a little old school and just pound the football for a couple games. It controls the clock and the pace of the game. It minimizes turnover possibilities which keeps momentum in check and most importantly it keeps everything simplified for an OL that is obviously struggling.

Also I don’t see hardly any checking in or out of plays at the LOS whether it’s Tua or Brissett in there. The QB has to help the OL by getting them into the right protections and identifying the blitzers presnap. 2/3 plays on the opening drive yesterday we didn’t have the numbers to run the play we had called. Tua has to see that and check out of a bad play and get us into a better play. Even if he checks to a run that gains 1-2 yards that’s better than staying in a play resulting in sacks or negative plays or injuries as we saw yesterday.

Basically we need to simply everything offensively and pick an identity of what we want to be. Right now I think we need to see more power formations with extra TEs and overwhelm defenses up front with numbers. Grind the game out and lean on our great defense and elite kicker. We can still throw the ball out of power formations and the speed threat is still there as long as Waddle/Grant/Wilson are lined up opposite Parker. Get the TEs much much much more involved slow the game down by running the football and then when you see your chance take your deep shot.

Something has to change offensively and we have to simplify. We’re thinking to much especially on the OL. Simplify and just react instead of thinking. This style of football will be old school for most and even hard to watch sometimes but if it gets us wins then who cares if it’s 16-13. We have to change something offensively or it’s going to be a long and hard season to watch.

No changes needed apparently.
Here's what Flo said today:
- In terms of Tua coming back and playing behind the offensive line coming off such a poor performance, Flores says he's confident the necessary adjustments and improvement will be made. Flores says the O-line won't play a role on whether Tua will play Sunday
Why do I feel worse after reading that?

Back
Top Bottom