Personnel changes to OL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Personnel changes to OL

Hunt and Eich. Rest can go. It's not going to change anytime soon. Moving jigsaw pieces on OL at the start of the season when its nothing to do with injuries is never good. That unit will be the achilles heel all season.

Personnel wasnt the issue. When defenders are coming in untouched, that is on coaching preparation. Half the time our guys looked entirely confused as to who they should be engaging.
Uh, watch again. It was both. Confusion for sure. But both tackles got straight up whipped multiple times

Is there any precedent for an O-line that looks this bad and appears to be so bereft of talent turning it around in season? I’m trying to wrack my brain to remember one, but not much comes to mind. I think there was a Patriot team several years ago that struggled mightily until Belichick coaxed Scarnecchia out of retirement to coach the line, but they obviously had some other things going for them.

We all keep talking about the OL and rightfully so. No way around it they were absolutely a mess yesterday. However something I haven’t seen mentioned a lot of is the actual formations or changing the play at the LOS.

I think the best way to at this would be...

LT- Jackson/Davis
LG- Kindley
C- Dieter
RG- Eichenberg/Hunt
RT- Hunt/Eichenberg

Mix and match until you find the right personnel. However here’s the point of my post and changing or installing a new formation or 2. I’d like to see more 2 or even 3 TE sets. Smythe is a pretty good blocking TE and so is Shaheen but I believe he’s still injured but we also have Hunter Long who has a nice balance of blocking and receiving. At Boston College he did a ton of chipping and blocking out of 2 TE formations with BCs downhill running attack.

Going to 2/3 TE sets will help the OL tremendously and take some pressure off of them especially guys like Jackson who is struggling in 1 on 1 situations. Now obviously we can’t just change the overall offense. We have to go with what we’ve installed at this point. However installing a 2 TE formation will still allow us to keep our base plays and will still allow us to operate within the structure of the RPO offense.

We are abandoning the running game way to early and way to much. Gaskins is no superstar but the kid ain’t no scrub either. I’d like to see him get 15-20 carries a game along with another 8-10 to Ahmed/Brown. We have to take some pressure off the OL and allow them to gain some confidence. How do you do that? You let them get down and dirty and keep it simple by running the football. We need to go a little old school and just pound the football for a couple games. It controls the clock and the pace of the game. It minimizes turnover possibilities which keeps momentum in check and most importantly it keeps everything simplified for an OL that is obviously struggling.

Also I don’t see hardly any checking in or out of plays at the LOS whether it’s Tua or Brissett in there. The QB has to help the OL by getting them into the right protections and identifying the blitzers presnap. 2/3 plays on the opening drive yesterday we didn’t have the numbers to run the play we had called. Tua has to see that and check out of a bad play and get us into a better play. Even if he checks to a run that gains 1-2 yards that’s better than staying in a play resulting in sacks or negative plays or injuries as we saw yesterday.

Basically we need to simply everything offensively and pick an identity of what we want to be. Right now I think we need to see more power formations with extra TEs and overwhelm defenses up front with numbers. Grind the game out and lean on our great defense and elite kicker. We can still throw the ball out of power formations and the speed threat is still there as long as Waddle/Grant/Wilson are lined up opposite Parker. Get the TEs much much much more involved slow the game down by running the football and then when you see your chance take your deep shot.

Something has to change offensively and we have to simplify. We’re thinking to much especially on the OL. Simplify and just react instead of thinking. This style of football will be old school for most and even hard to watch sometimes but if it gets us wins then who cares if it’s 16-13. We have to change something offensively or it’s going to be a long and hard season to watch.

You lost me at Jackson/Davis

LT - Jackson/Little
LG - Kindley/Jones
C - Mancz/Dieter
RG- Hunt
RT - Eich

Jackson and Kindley on EXTREMELY short leashes.

We need to get rid of the guys like Jesse Davis and Jakeem Grant who look completely overmatched defensively.

If you’re going to keep Grant around that’s fine but only for special teams. Part of me wonders what would have happened if Kirk Merritt or even Preston Williams were in that spot where he fumbled.

No changes needed apparently.
Here's what Flo said today:
- In terms of Tua coming back and playing behind the offensive line coming off such a poor performance, Flores says he's confident the necessary adjustments and improvement will be made. Flores says the O-line won't play a role on whether Tua will play Sunday
He said that but he also said they would look at personnel changes in another question. It’s on the table but I admit it won’t surprise me if they do nothing unfortunately. It needs to be a lot better to meet below average.

I'd make one change for now. Eichenberg starts at RT over Davis.

Might also bring up Jones from the practice squad for six lineman sets.

Too little too late. This should’ve been addressed in the beginning of FA not WK 3 of the season

I don’t think it’s the players. We’ve had too many different guys on the oline for the last
few years for it to be all the players. Need a better scheme. Put one of the offensive coordinators in charge of it. One for backs/wrs and the other on the line.

I don't know how Eich as an experiment at RT works. Maybe some of you draft tape guys can let me know why he would work at RT? I get sticking him at his natural LT, but learning on the job blindside might be disastrous. I admit I don't know enough about him though so maybe someone with more knowledge could tell me.

Personnel wasnt the issue. When defenders are coming in untouched, that is on coaching preparation. Half the time our guys looked entirely confused as to who they should be engaging.
They also chose to not engage even when it was one on one. Really was the worst OL I'd ever seen.

We all keep talking about the OL and rightfully so. No way around it they were absolutely a mess yesterday. However something I haven’t seen mentioned a lot of is the actual formations or changing the play at the LOS.

I think the best way to at this would be...

LT- Jackson/Davis
LG- Kindley
C- Dieter
RG- Eichenberg/Hunt
RT- Hunt/Eichenberg

Mix and match until you find the right personnel. However here’s the point of my post and changing or installing a new formation or 2. I’d like to see more 2 or even 3 TE sets. Smythe is a pretty good blocking TE and so is Shaheen but I believe he’s still injured but we also have Hunter Long who has a nice balance of blocking and receiving. At Boston College he did a ton of chipping and blocking out of 2 TE formations with BCs downhill running attack.

Going to 2/3 TE sets will help the OL tremendously and take some pressure off of them especially guys like Jackson who is struggling in 1 on 1 situations. Now obviously we can’t just change the overall offense. We have to go with what we’ve installed at this point. However installing a 2 TE formation will still allow us to keep our base plays and will still allow us to operate within the structure of the RPO offense.

We are abandoning the running game way to early and way to much. Gaskins is no superstar but the kid ain’t no scrub either. I’d like to see him get 15-20 carries a game along with another 8-10 to Ahmed/Brown. We have to take some pressure off the OL and allow them to gain some confidence. How do you do that? You let them get down and dirty and keep it simple by running the football. We need to go a little old school and just pound the football for a couple games. It controls the clock and the pace of the game. It minimizes turnover possibilities which keeps momentum in check and most importantly it keeps everything simplified for an OL that is obviously struggling.

Also I don’t see hardly any checking in or out of plays at the LOS whether it’s Tua or Brissett in there. The QB has to help the OL by getting them into the right protections and identifying the blitzers presnap. 2/3 plays on the opening drive yesterday we didn’t have the numbers to run the play we had called. Tua has to see that and check out of a bad play and get us into a better play. Even if he checks to a run that gains 1-2 yards that’s better than staying in a play resulting in sacks or negative plays or injuries as we saw yesterday.

Basically we need to simply everything offensively and pick an identity of what we want to be. Right now I think we need to see more power formations with extra TEs and overwhelm defenses up front with numbers. Grind the game out and lean on our great defense and elite kicker. We can still throw the ball out of power formations and the speed threat is still there as long as Waddle/Grant/Wilson are lined up opposite Parker. Get the TEs much much much more involved slow the game down by running the football and then when you see your chance take your deep shot.

Something has to change offensively and we have to simplify. We’re thinking to much especially on the OL. Simplify and just react instead of thinking. This style of football will be old school for most and even hard to watch sometimes but if it gets us wins then who cares if it’s 16-13. We have to change something offensively or it’s going to be a long and hard season to watch.
Using 2,3 TEs might be necessary. However, then why draft Waddle, sign Fuller and keep Parker, Wilson and Williams? That was my point in another thread. We built this speed offense for Tua but forgot that you need a solid line because there won't be much help for them.

The O line wasn't great last year but it was good enough for 10 wins. Have to believe Flo is doing some serious azz chewing and film studying with all of them. I would imagine they were all told or will be this week to get your ish together or get cut. We'll see what kind of coach Flo is after this meltdown. If it's more of the same the next few.weeks we might have an answer. I think we look like a different team this week.

Back
Top Bottom