Pete Prisco's Top 50 Players | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Prisco's Top 50 Players

LIQUID24 said:
I would like to see you guys write a top 50 list so I can pick it apart and laugh at it. I disagree with some of his choices, but those are his opinions. He's a good writer overall.

I have yet to read a good article from Prisco.

LIQUID24 said:
I would like to see you guys write a top 50 list so I can pick it apart and laugh at it. I disagree with some of his choices, but those are his opinions. He's a good writer overall.

I can do it, i wouldnt care if you picked it apart. Thing is this dude wrote this list for the past season. I would write it where their career has taken them in the NFL. But one season would be easy.

I do agree that Peyton was the best last season, he had the best career year of any player. It didnt get him anywhere, except one more step closer to the HOF, but it was individual merits I think pete ranked on. He went off on some team tangents, which he shouldnt have done, because if ranking the man, not the team, then dont bring up team aspects. And vice versa.

unifiedtheory said:
I'll gladly write a Top 50 list for you to critique when I have a few minutes.

He is not a good writer. A person with the resources he has should not be writing articles that are REGULARLY uninformed and biased.
You don't have to bother, but if you want, go ahead....I'll gladly read it and tell you what I disagree with.

I agree with some of your critiques and disagree with others. Of the ones you mentioned:

Ray Lewis is not irrelevant. Yes, he's coming off a down year by his standards. But he's still the best MLB in the game and he'll be much better in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4.

I agree Portis is ranked too high. But he is very talented and if he adjusts to Gibbs' system he could have a very big year. But yeah, he's ranked too high right now IMO.

Vick is hard to judge. I wouldn't put him in the top 20 myself. But he is invaluable to his team. That cannot be questioned. They are nothing without him. But he's a got a ways to go before he's a real QB.

I would actually put Freeney higher on the list. Yes, he IS one-dimensional. But he DOMINATES that one dimension. And pass rushing is extremely important in the league. As a pure pass rusher, no one comes close to Freeney right now...he's that explosive.

Shockey might belong on that spot based on talent alone, but not on production. I agree, he's too high on the list.

As far as JT, I would put him a little higher, but at #41 doesn't bother me much. He's still a stud but he is clearly not on his prime anymore.

So there, we actually agree on most things but disagree on others. I don't have as much of a problem with Prisco as some of you do. It's all opinion anyway.

Also, Prisco isn't the only reporter saying we'll playing the 3-4. I think Clayton and Pastabelly have said that as well. So you guys should bash them too, not just Prisco.

That is all.

Losman7 said:
Do you think Surtain was a top 50 player last year?
Very debateable... However, he was better than Charles "I'm always hurt" Woodson.

feelthepain said:
Your kidding right??? How can "bias" and "good reporter" fit in the same sentence?? I would love to give you a top 50 list and you can pick it apart if you like, but I'll promise you no way in hell does Shockey or Lewis make my list. I would make my list based on performance not popularity or my personal favorites!!!

Good man, the way it should be!

Oboy said:
Very debateable... However, he was better than Charles "I'm always hurt" Woodson.

I don't think he was last year, years prior for sure. But definatly better than Woodson.

In fact, this list is so bad, you can't really even debate it

I just noticed that the league's 1st and 2nd leading rusher didn't even make the list which is a complete joke.

Curtis Martin and Shaun Alexander have been two of the most consistent runners in the league in the past 5+ seasons and yet they get no respect from Prisco.:shakeno:

unifiedtheory said:
Here is my reply I just sent to the moron...thought I'd share.

Your top 50 list once again makes me ponder the "does Pete actually watch football" question.

I'll review some of your more...questionable choices.

1.) Peyton Manning - Brady should be here. I know Brady is #2 on your list but how can you rank Manning higher then the man who has beaten him the last 2 years in the playoffs and has 3 rings in 4 years. Would you have ranked Marino higher then Montana in the mid 80's? Didn’t think so.

5.) Ray Lewis – He’s been irrelevant for 2 years. He’s the best in the league at falling on top of the pile. He hasn’t taken on and shed a block well in that same two year span. He’s all hype. If not for his rampant self-promotion he’d be where he deserves to be on this list. Not on it. He’s barely a top 5 middle linebacker now.

11.) Clinton Portis – Having a “good first season with the Redskins†after a few years of riding the Broncos running back gravy train makes him the 2nd best running back in football?

15.) Mike Vick – He’s a glorified running back. He is exciting and dangerous but I am not buying the hype. A Q.B. who has never been over 55% in an era where passers are regularly in the mid 60’s is not a great quarterback. Exciting player? Yes. Great quarterback? No.

22.) Dwight Freeney – The epitome of one dimensional. Defensive ends who have never played the run can’t be the 2nd best defensive end in the NFL.

33.) Jeremy Shockey – This is a joke right? A player who can’t stay healthy and have averaged 60 catches, 700 yards and 3 T.D.’s is the 2nd best tight end in the game? The 33rd best player in football? He’s not even a top 5 tight end.

35.) Todd Heap - Putting him below Shockey destroys your credibility and makes me wonder if you actually researched this article.

40.) Simeon Rice – This would not bother me too much unless you look at who you had ranked AFTER him…

41.) Jason Taylor – You regularly take shots at the Dolphins but this might be the coup de grace. You have J.T., the best all around defensive end in the NFL, ranked as the 5th best defensive end in football and the 9th best defensive lineman in the NFL.

The best of all was “where does he fit in Miami’s new 3-4 scheme?†Looks like Nick Saban’s “shutting the media out†thing has worked well because the Dolphins are a 4-3 stunting team that will play the 3-4 occasionally, along with other odd-front looks.

Research Pete…something I know I’d do when I’m writing an internet article that thousands of people read and critique.

OWNED.

#84Fan4Life said:
I just noticed that the league's 1st and 2nd leading rusher didn't even make the list which is a complete joke.

Curtis Martin and Shaun Alexander have been two of the most consistent runners in the league in the past 5+ seasons and yet they get no respect from Prisco.:shakeno:

Don't let it bother you, this is the worst list ever.

LIQUID24 said:
You don't have to bother, but if you want, go ahead....I'll gladly read it and tell you what I disagree with.

I agree with some of your critiques and disagree with others. Of the one you mentioned:

Ray Lewis is not irrelevant. Yes, he's coming off a down year by his standards. But he's still the best MLB in the game and he'll be much better in the 4-3 rather than the 3-4.

I agree Portis is ranked too high. But he is very talented and if he adjusts to Gibbs' system he could have a very big year. But yeah, he's ranked too high right now IMO.

Vick is hard to judge. I wouldn't put him in the top 20 myself. But he is invaluable to his team. That cannot be questioned. They are nothing without him. But he's a got a ways to go before he's a real QB.

I would actually put Freeney higher on the list. Yes, he IS one-dimensional. But he DOMINATES that one dimension. And pass rushing is extremely important in the league. As a pure pass rusher, no one comes close to Freeney right now...he's that explosive.

Shockey might belong on that spot based on talent alone, but not on production. I agree, he's too high on the list.

As far as JT, I would put a little higher a bit higher, but at #41 doesn't bother me much. He's still a stud but he is clearly not on his prime anymore.

So there, we actually agree on most things but disagree on others. I don't have as much of a problem with Prisco as some of you do. It's all opinion anyway.

Also, Prisco isn't the only reporter saying we'll playing the 3-4. I think Clayton and Pastabelly have said that as well. So you guys should bash them too, not just Prisco.

That is all.

Um, JT isnt in his prime? What in the world makes you say such a thing? Name me one player at DE that put up these kind of number throughout their career.

/* Redefine global classes for specific team and player profile pages */.ffhl, .ffhl A, .ffhl A:link {color:#ffffff; background-color:#007883;}.ffteams, .ffteams A {color:#cccccc; background-color:#007883;}.ffteamsnav, .ffteamsnav A, .ffteamsnav A:hover {color:#eeeeee; background-color:#007883;}.ffteams A {color:#eeeeee; background-color: #007883;}.teamsbg, bg0 {background-color:#007883;}.teamsrightrail {background-color:#007883; padding:5px 5px 0px 5px;}.teamsrightrail, .teamsrightrail A, .teamsrightrail TD {color:#FFFFFF; font-size:11px;}.bg0, .bg0font {color:#ffffff; background-color:#007883; font-weight:bold;}.cnewshdl, .teamspt {font-size:18px; font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#007883;}.cnewstxt2 {font-size:16px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}.columnrow {background-color:#b9b9b9; font-weight:bold;}.player, .playernumber {font-size:18px; font-weight:bold;}.playerbio, .playerbio TD {font-size:11px;}.playerNavOn, .playerNavOn A {font-size:12px; font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; text-decoration:none;}.playerNav, .playerNav A {font-size:11px; color:#ffffff;}#teamtitle {border-top:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-bottom:1px solid #FFFFFF; padding:5px 0px 5px 0px;}
clear.gif

A · B · C · D · E · F · G · H · I · J · K · L · M · N · O · P · Q · R · S · T · U · V · W · X · Y · Z

# 99 Jason Taylor
clear.gif
Position: DE
Height: 6-6
Weight: 255
Born: 09/01/1974
College: Akron
NFL Experience: 9 Career Stats | Game Logs: 01 02 03 04 | Situational Stats | Team Roster
DEFENSIVE STATS
YearTeamGTotalTcklAstSacksIntYdsAvgLgTDPass Def1997Miami Dolphins134230.0125000.00041998Miami Dolphins165034.0169000.00081999Miami Dolphins154529.0162.5100.00032000Miami Dolphins166637.02914.5122.02052001Miami Dolphins167047.0238.5144.04062002Miami Dolphins166945.02418.5000.00082003Miami Dolphins165737.02013000.00022004Miami Dolphins166740.0279.51-3-3.0-309TOTAL124466299.016780.5430.84045

Thanks. Play again.

LithoMan said:
Um, JT isnt in his prime? What in the world makes you say such a thing? Name me one player at DE that put up these kind of number throughout their career.
Uhhh, what do career numbers have to do with someone being in their prime? I said he's still a stud (and my favorite player), but he is not as good as he was, say, 3-4 years ago. I stand by that.

LIQUID24 said:
Uhhh, what do career numbers have to do with someone being in their prime? I said he's still a stud (and my favorite player), but he is not as good as he was, say, 3-4 years ago. I stand by that.

Um, what I was trying to show, NFL website wouldnt co-operate, was that 18.5 sacks three years ago is hard to re-accomplsih. Still, 18.5 sacks, he had 9.5. How many DE's had 9.5 sacks even last year? Let me count them..... He ranked 18th, that means of all the DE's, only 17 beat him last season... Dwight Freeney lead the league with 16, 2.5 short of JT's 2002 mark, so if your expecting 18.5 a year, forget it... He was double digits in 03... almost in 04, what do you want? In 03 he was 4th, in 02 he was 3 better then simeon, and lead the league. So, a more measureable mark of 13 and 9.5 is falling off? Of course we all would like to see 18.5 sacks a season, but I think your reaching a bit. Thats my point.

Back
Top Bottom