PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward?

I don't mind trading out of the #1 pick, move down 4-9 spots and still get a top tier franchise QB. I love the "pay it forward" approach with Draft capital. We have a late #1 and couple in the 2nd round to begin the rebuild. Unlike, Arizona I have no problem having Rosen and a rookie QB battle it out for a couple of years. The one that separates and stays healthy gets the franchise contract. If one is not highly coveted they can be the "Matt Moore" of this generation.

Well... I suspect that the F.O. had told everyone that our 2 best players were available, but not cheap.

We still have the other one.
I don't think Tunsil or X are/were any more available than any player on any other team (other than a top franchise QB in his prime) at all times.

For the right price they are all available. I don't think we dangled X or Tunsil at all, Houston fell in love and went hog wild (to our benefit).

I don't mind trading out of the #1 pick, move down 4-9 spots and still get a top tier franchise QB. I love the "pay it forward" approach with Draft capital. We have a late #1 and couple in the 2nd round to begin the rebuild. Unlike, Arizona I have no problem having Rosen and a rookie QB battle it out for a couple of years. The one that separates and stays healthy gets the franchise contract. If one is not highly coveted they can be the "Matt Moore" of this generation.

I'm sorry but if there's one position you don't mess around with it's the QB position. If Tua is that next generation QB and you have him at #1 but decide to trade down and miss out on him then you're a BIG DUMMY!

Agree. If Tua is that guy. If he is not, then it should be open for any offers. If it is not a good deal for the team (Tunsil) then stick to the board.

If we happen to win a few games and don't draft first, I personally wouldn't trade draft picks to move up.

I'm sorry but if there's one position you don't mess around with it's the QB position. If Tua is that next generation QB and you have him at #1 but decide to trade down and miss out on him then you're a BIG DUMMY!

So the question will be... which QB does our staff think is the best.

...and we'll never know, because they won't admit it, and now... they've shown they will lie about that.

Tanking for Trevor is insane. How is it even possible to tank two years out? We are in great position currently to land the #1 pick this year, if not, perhaps we have the leverage to get there. Tua is the pick at that spot. Keep Rosen, let them compete, but i'd focus on Tua and a RT next year. Trevor throws a ton of 50/50 balls and there is not a ton of tape on him. Waiting for Trevor is Madden talk. After trading Tunsil, Tua seems like a real possibility.

It is shocking that the same people who watched Tannehill for 7 years are now skeptical on having Tua as a QB. We'd be so lucky to have Tua and Rosen as a backup and/or competitor. Easily the best situation we could ask for and best situation we've been in since 13 retired.

I have watched Fromm, Herbert and Tua play multiple times and never walked away as impressed as I was watching Trevor during the National Championship game. I’m not advocating we tank for the guy; we don’t even know if he will come out after his junior year (2021) or stay for his senior season. I simply think the kid is going to light up the NFL for whatever team drafts him when the time comes.

I like Trevor, too. But if the Dolphins season goes according to plan, and they make the right moves, Trevor will not be a possibility. If we are in position to get Trevor Lawrence, Flores and Grier likely deserve the boot. Luckily for us, he most likely won't be playing in our division.

...and we'll never know, because they won't admit it, and now... they've shown they will lie about that.

Who they think is best right now could possibly be irrelevant, all of these QBs have a full year of football to play. Let the best man win!

I want Tua but if Fromm plays way better, why not? I don't see it from Herbert but again, full season ahead.

I am really looking forward to watching Fromm, Herbert, Tua, Hurts this year.

I doubt they would divulge their decision making process either, but what specifically are you referring to that they've shown they will lie about it?

As an aside... Dan Marino is one of those guys who absolutely lit it up as a young QB and then slipped a bit in his last season when his team was poor. It's the only reason that we got him.
Yeah, he was overconfident and tried to force the ball into tight windows where he had no business trying, leading to many INT's. The drop off was so precipitous and his attitude deemed so wild, that everyone was worried. Night before the draft--when no team could investigate--the swirling rumors of drug use became a vicious rumor. Once the top few teams passed on him, all the other GM's just assumed the others knew something they didn't, and everyone passed on him.

If you ask old Dolphins players, they'll privately tell you that within the Dolphins locker room the rumor was that the vicious Marino-Drug rumor was started by none other than Don Shula. Of course, they will not say that publicly, out or respect for Shula. But, a surprising number of those guys have verified that that was the rumor at the time. Shula's long time friend and golf buddy, Tom Olivadotti, a horrible Defensive Coordinator for Miami, was Marino's coach at Pitt, and when Shula tells the story, Shula called Olivadotti to ask why Marino was falling, and Olivadotti said, "I don't know coach, but TAKE HIM!" Either way, Don Shula got the QB he coveted, Dan Marino, even though nobody else in the Dolphins front office really wanted him, and Shula was pounding the table for him all draft day, and all the other GM's were too scared to take the risk, and all the talking heads panned it as a bad pick. Don Shula knew something … and he was right. Dan Marino became the greatest QB the NFL has ever known. The story of how he fell to the Dolphins though … remains a bit of a mystery.

Play tough, disciplined, hard-nosed football. Run the ball effectively and win. Win it all.

Tanking is hard. Lot of moving parts, no guarantees.

I hope Miami plays it smart with their draft capitol. They can continue to add more picks down the road.

Don't try to out think the room. Don't draft a Charles Harris over a TJ Watt.

Play Rosen, get him out there, don't waste time with Fitz. We all know the deck is stacked against him this year. He's a rich kid with an attitude, I wouldn't worry about his confidence.

Besides NE will win the Super Bowl in '19, Brady will retire, Pats will tank in '20 and land Trevor in '21.

Problem is, the harris/Watt issue, not many expected Watt to be that good, yet most knew that Harris would suck.

And that last bit, wouldn't be surprised one bit.

Back
Top Bottom