PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward?

I agree with those 3 but would add a Safety too. Jones is playing his last year in Miami and McCain at FS won't last.

I agree.

Hoping Fitz will be the FS sooner than later, so it'll only be the SS spot needed, where they don't necessarily need a stud to form a good duo.

Safety and a crap load of offensive linemen.

I had always been for the tank. Let Fitzpatrick bomb and save Rosen for next season when the line should be addressed with a focus.

We had a very good draft haul coming without the Tunsil deal.

The only thing is Rosen probably won't get a chance next year if the Dolphins draft Tua. I doubt Rosen would start ahead of Tua in 2020.

Not the only reason...he was rumored as being a pot head prior to the draft.
Good point. Yeah, I referenced the drug rumors, but the ones I had heard were that he was using coke not pot. That he was described as a "heavy partier" by some but not thoroughly investigated like they do now. So Shula played that up in a major way the night before the draft when no teams had time to verify anything. The result was that every GM thought the other GM's knew something they didn't, and Marino fell like a rock. Who knows what the truth was, but the Dan Marino who came to Miami wasn't really a heavy partier or drug user, so we really got lucky all the way around. Oh yeah, somehow his college coach Tom Olivadotti was hired as our DC, and got a ridiculously long free pass at the position despite repeatedly underperforming defenses. Hmmmmmm, wonder why?

Talking about Lawrence is so silly. If we are in a position to draft him in 2021 then our front office has FAILED.

Maybe.

Chase Young and a LT like Trey Adams would be a solid 1-2 from the 2020 draft.

Even if they nail the 2020 draft there's no guarantee this team will be much better entering the 2021 draft, especially if they avoid FA and hone in purely on the draft for upgrades.

Add Lawrence in 2021, you got a potentially great young core to build around.

The Houston pick should go to WR, OT, or CB. I'd want to pair Tua with either Jerry Jeudy or Tylan Wallace, but Jeudy is likely to be off the board, and the consensus isn't as high on Wallace as they should be. It's possible that carries over to the 2020 Draft, and Miami could get him with one of the 2nd Round picks. If I felt confident in that scenario, I'd turn my attention to OT or CB. It looks like there will be 3 OT's who could be in that range, and a later move at OT wouldn't be bad at all - given that the new OT will be on a rookie contract for longer, and the team still has a 2021 1st and 2nd left over from the trade. If none of the OT's who are still on the board appear to be worth it, I'm looking at 4 CB's who could pay off the pick and put Miami in position to have one of the best CB groups in the league.

Mock drafts has us taking the Georgia RB..D’Andre Swift..

Thoughts?

2. The idea of a 2-year tank for Lawrence. I think Lawrence is a great player and in the end, two teams over the next two seasons are going to be
Not to mention, a big part of having a young core is getting great value on rookie deals, which allows you to round out your roster in FA while staying under the cap. Unless you think Lawrence is that much better than Tua, wasting another year of cheap high-value production is just closing your window needlessly.

Last edited:
Need to target:

1. QB
2. LT
3. Edge

Doesn't have to be in that order depending on BPA. But they will need to hit on those 3 positions in order to jumpstart this rebuild.
Don't reach, or pick off desperation. That's how you get Mitch Trubisky with the 2nd overall pick.
In Flores system (and if tua is the prize) LT doesn't mean anything. Tua, edge rushers, CB

I like beefing up our draft pick options.

I think it is more important to get as many good, solid, reliable players at each of our draft positions then it is to try and get one or two great players at one or two positions with the hope you can replace them with other great players at a later date when you need them because:

1) There probably won't be the great player you need when you need them.
2) There are probably 31 other teams as interested in a great player as you are, wither they need them or not, so accessibility is severely limited.
3) History has shown there have been a lot of "flash in the pan" great players. These are players who don't live up to their anticipated high level of performance expectations. I use 50% as my figure for the probability of success for an early round "great draft pick" becoming a great player.

When you consider there are many more good players then great players in any draft, then why would you take more of a risk for a few great players when you can take less of a risk for the larger number of good players. Don't let the false promise of immediate return based on draft position fool you.

Focus by prioritizing on upgrading our least strong (nicer then saying weakest) position while going for the BPA at each pick.

Keep doing this forever!

In Flores system (and if tua is the prize) LT doesn't mean anything. Tua, edge rushers, CB

Well, then a good RT becomes the #1 guy on the line if they land Tua.

Still need a good blindside tackle.

As shown with Luck, doesn't matter if you have a franchise QB if he is constantly injured from being hit a lot.

Brady had two good ones in Light and Solder for a majority of his career. Weren't the best in the league but still did their job well.

Well, then a good RT becomes the #1 guy on the line if they land Tua.

Still need a good blindside tackle.

As shown with Luck, doesn't matter if you have a franchise QB if he is constantly injured from being hit a lot.

Brady had two good ones in Light and Solder for a majority of his career. Weren't the best in the league but still did their job well.
I don't agree that RT is then the #1 priority. You can find very good RTs later in draft. If we prep Prince this year then we don't need to look any further. All our picks in rd 1 and 2 should be skilled positions only. Maybe 1 Oline pick...a starting C to anchor line.

Back
Top Bottom