PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF: What Should the Dolphins do Moving Forward?

Problem is, the harris/Watt issue, not many expected Watt to be that good, yet most knew that Harris would suck.

And that last bit, wouldn't be surprised one bit.

T. J Watts had the bloodlines, that alone should have put him over Harris and a lot of us wanted Watt. Just another terrible pick at a key position. A franchise like the Steelers doesn't miss much.

I've been hearing the kid from Georgia's name alot....Jake Fromm!

Also Jordan Love, he could be the number 1 or 2 best qb prospect next year. It looks like a really good draft for qbs next year, a really good year to suck if u need one...

That was entertaining

"Dude, they should flip all their 2020 1st rounders for 2021 1st rounders and an extra pick and have half that draft." :chuckle:

Besides NE will win the Super Bowl in '19, Brady will retire, Pats will tank in '20 and land Trevor in '21.
I can't believe anyone thinks Tom Brady is going to retire any time soon. It's laughable. He always wanted Favre's iron man record but knew he couldn't get it as he had the knee injury in 2008 so he could never get there. Plus there's the four game suspension that happened in '16 to start the year which won't allow him a consecutive games played record. Not to mention his continued motivation to keep playing because he was suspended that year. So instead, he's just decided to play longer than anyone ever has. That's his goal. Certainly longer than any QB so look past Moon, Testeverde, etc. who played to about 44 years old. He'll go at least three more years and maybe more. His dad was quoted once as saying "they'll have to drag my son off the field" and I do believe this will be the case. I just feel bad for that Auburn QB - or any QB that NE drafts as they're not going to get to play QB in the NFL. They're all Prince Charles sitting behind Queen Elizabeth.

Well... I suspect that the F.O. had told everyone that our 2 best players were available, but not cheap.

We still have the other one.
I don’t think X was ever available. He just got an extension. He’s part of the plans going forward.

So the discussion revolves around 2 points...

1. The idea of grabbing QBs until you get it right. I fully agree with this idea and it is one of the reasons why I was happy the team took a chance and used the 2nd on a QB like Rosen. Regardless of whether or not he turned out to be our franchise QB, it showed a shift in the thought process of how to approach the position. Rosen has been what I thought he would be so far...a QB that was severely broken by his time in Arizona and one that is going to need some time to get a lot of bad habits he picked up fixed. It may not happen, but I like the attempt.

That goes along with the same idea that we should draft a QB in 2020 as well. I think a couple of things will be clear...if the Dolphins have the number one pick, they will draft a QB and if the team does somehow pass on Tua for one of the other guys, it is evident that the franchise is lost, but that is another conversation. If after the 2020 season it seems like Tua is not the guy and you have a top pick again...you go grab Lawrence or Fields. Keep doing it until you feel like you got it right.

2. The idea of a 2-year tank for Lawrence. I think Lawrence is a great player and in the end, two teams over the next two seasons are going to be extremely happy with either Tua or Lawrence, but too much can happen in those two years...Lawrence could suffer a career-ending injury, the Dolphins could win too many games, Lawrence could regress...you don't know. I also think that the players that are on the team that forms the core...Minkah, Baker, Wilkins, Howard, Godchaux...it could be too much to bear. You could sell players on the idea of suffering for one year for sustained success, but two years may be too much as that could affect future earnings too much. So I don't agree with the idea of a two-year tank...you grab your QB this year and go from there.

Ideally, the Dolphins grab Tua, win games and Houston falls apart and we have the number 1 pick again and sell that for a king's ransom. I mean if we are going to have dreams about Rosen being "the guy" why not dreams about having all the picks going forward.

As an aside... Dan Marino is one of those guys who absolutely lit it up as a young QB and then slipped a bit in his last season when his team was poor. It's the only reason that we got him.

Not the only reason...he was rumored as being a pot head prior to the draft.

Need to target:

1. QB
2. LT
3. Edge

Doesn't have to be in that order depending on BPA. But they will need to hit on those 3 positions in order to jumpstart this rebuild.
Don't reach, or pick off desperation. That's how you get Mitch Trubisky with the 2nd overall pick.

Not the only reason...he was rumored as being a pot head prior to the draft.

The Marino drug rumor was so prevalent at the end of the 1982 college season that Pitt actually tested Marino for drugs. Demoff knew about the test.
"[Marino] told me that the school had heard about a group of players using marijuana or drugs, and they internally tested all the players. They were all clean," Demoff said.
News of the test was public by 1984, when the New York Times reported about it during Marino's rise to record-breaking stardom. But in those crucial spring days leading up to the 1983 draft, the drug test was locked away in some university office.

The Houston pick should go to WR, OT, or CB. I'd want to pair Tua with either Jerry Jeudy or Tylan Wallace, but Jeudy is likely to be off the board, and the consensus isn't as high on Wallace as they should be. It's possible that carries over to the 2020 Draft, and Miami could get him with one of the 2nd Round picks. If I felt confident in that scenario, I'd turn my attention to OT or CB. It looks like there will be 3 OT's who could be in that range, and a later move at OT wouldn't be bad at all - given that the new OT will be on a rookie contract for longer, and the team still has a 2021 1st and 2nd left over from the trade. If none of the OT's who are still on the board appear to be worth it, I'm looking at 4 CB's who could pay off the pick and put Miami in position to have one of the best CB groups in the league.

Need to target:

1. QB
2. LT
3. Edge

Doesn't have to be in that order depending on BPA. But they will need to hit on those 3 positions in order to jumpstart this rebuild.
Don't reach, or pick off desperation. That's how you get Mitch Trubisky with the 2nd overall pick.
I agree with those 3 but would add a Safety too. Jones is playing his last year in Miami and McCain at FS won't last.

The Houston pick should go to WR, OT, or CB. I'd want to pair Tua with either Jerry Jeudy or Tylan Wallace, but Jeudy is likely to be off the board, and the consensus isn't as high on Wallace as they should be. It's possible that carries over to the 2020 Draft, and Miami could get him with one of the 2nd Round picks. If I felt confident in that scenario, I'd turn my attention to OT or CB. It looks like there will be 3 OT's who could be in that range, and a later move at OT wouldn't be bad at all - given that the new OT will be on a rookie contract for longer, and the team still has a 2021 1st and 2nd left over from the trade. If none of the OT's who are still on the board appear to be worth it, I'm looking at 4 CB's who could pay off the pick and put Miami in position to have one of the best CB groups in the league.
Just yesterday I was talking about drafting Tua and Higgins......or Tua and Little/Wirfs. Depending on how Williams develop to a point but even if he turns out good, imagine him and Higgins. And those two OT's could be off the board but one of them could be there if Houston has a bad year.

So the discussion revolves around 2 points...

1. The idea of grabbing QBs until you get it right. I fully agree with this idea and it is one of the reasons why I was happy the team took a chance and used the 2nd on a QB like Rosen. Regardless of whether or not he turned out to be our franchise QB, it showed a shift in the thought process of how to approach the position. Rosen has been what I thought he would be so far...a QB that was severely broken by his time in Arizona and one that is going to need some time to get a lot of bad habits he picked up fixed. It may not happen, but I like the attempt.

That goes along with the same idea that we should draft a QB in 2020 as well. I think a couple of things will be clear...if the Dolphins have the number one pick, they will draft a QB and if the team does somehow pass on Tua for one of the other guys, it is evident that the franchise is lost, but that is another conversation. If after the 2020 season it seems like Tua is not the guy and you have a top pick again...you go grab Lawrence or Fields. Keep doing it until you feel like you got it right.

2. The idea of a 2-year tank for Lawrence. I think Lawrence is a great player and in the end, two teams over the next two seasons are going to be extremely happy with either Tua or Lawrence, but too much can happen in those two years...Lawrence could suffer a career-ending injury, the Dolphins could win too many games, Lawrence could regress...you don't know. I also think that the players that are on the team that forms the core...Minkah, Baker, Wilkins, Howard, Godchaux...it could be too much to bear. You could sell players on the idea of suffering for one year for sustained success, but two years may be too much as that could affect future earnings too much. So I don't agree with the idea of a two-year tank...you grab your QB this year and go from there.

Ideally, the Dolphins grab Tua, win games and Houston falls apart and we have the number 1 pick again and sell that for a king's ransom. I mean if we are going to have dreams about Rosen being "the guy" why not dreams about having all the picks going forward.

all your 1st overall picks are belong to us

Back
Top Bottom