PFF's views/rankings on the players we have signed | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF's views/rankings on the players we have signed

I have been saying all along that the Dolphins have done an excellent job in free free agency whether they sign Armstead or not. Their resigning of Ogbah and Gesicki along with the resigning of their players on defense and the addition of free agents at positions of need has been a home run, IMO.

Unfortunately some posters only see free agency as a success if a team overpays the biggest names in free agency.
I don't think it has to be one extreme or the other. With the most money to spend in the league, I would've preferred we used it on fewer players that would have a bigger impact. Maybe we tried, who knows. I just don't see guys like Edmonds or Wilson helping us to close the talent gap with the better teams in our Conference. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I didn't expect us to go out and sign every big name available, but there's a reason players' names become big, and it's because they are the better players. Armstead is risky, but at least that would be an aggressive move for someone that could truly move the needle for us.

I think most fans tend to only know/focus on stars and big names so they don't see big name FA signings and they call it a failure. I think it's obvious that the overall talent level of our team has improved considerably. Our defense has retained everybody and should be better just through development and consistency. Our run game should be considerably better with the additions of Mostert, Edmonds and Ingold. Wilson improves our 3rd WR spot a ton and he has proven that, at a minimum he's a good fill-in #2 and could be more. Last year our offense struggled when we had no run game and our offense was limited to either Waddle or Gesicki (for some reason they had them running the same routes, so just better usage improves them too). And then we also added a very good LG who has proven flexibility to play T. He should improve both our run and pass games.

The scheme change required us to have more depth signings b/c we needed to address the new scheme specific roles. As a simple and obvious example, we didn't need a FB in the old scheme so salary cap dollars had to be allocated there. Same with the zone RBs. I think that without the coaching change we could have seen a different approach with more "star" talent, but the coaching change necessitated some additions that most casual fans don't consider.

Let me say this first...

Grier CRUSHED Free Agency. Just killed it; not an overpayment in the lot. He strengthened every single point where we were weak with the exception of Mike Linebacker, which I suspect we will draft.

The contracts are ALL short and easy to get out of when someone gets injured, as always happens.

I don't think a single team did better... not one.

Let me say this first...

Grier CRUSHED Free Agency. Just killed it; not an overpayment in the lot. He strengthened every single point where we were weak with the exception of Mike Linebacker, which I suspect we will draft.

The contracts are ALL short and easy to get out of when someone gets injured, as always happens.

I don't think a single team did better... not one.
I would like to add that he did all of this while adding guys with team friendly contract lengths. A lot of 1 and 2 year deals. Wilson got 3. Ogbah got 4. Armstead got 5. Even the longer contracts seem well structured with early outs if the moves don’t work.

I don't think it has to be one extreme or the other. With the most money to spend in the league, I would've preferred we used it on fewer players that would have a bigger impact. Maybe we tried, who knows. I just don't see guys like Edmonds or Wilson helping us to close the talent gap with the better teams in our Conference. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I didn't expect us to go out and sign every big name available, but there's a reason players' names become big, and it's because they are the better players. Armstead is risky, but at least that would be an aggressive move for someone that could truly move the needle for us.
And signing the big players in UFA seasons, predominantly, doesn't work for the new team. There are a few recent examples of it working (Rams/Bucs), but they have extenuation situations very unlike the Dolphins'...and those teams brought in proven franchise/HoF QBs. Big signings, aside from QB, don't move the Vegas needle, and they're usually pretty close. Hell, New England tried it and it didn't work...they went hog-wild in FA last season, and got exposed hard late in the season/playoffs.

And I like the approach they took, in that they didn't go for that marquee one or few players...allowing the coach to get more ammo to implant his vision. He knows what he wants, and Grier planted it in his lap. A very good overall team will allow more success than a few elite players that can't excel because those around them aren't what the team needs. With the new HC, they had to re-tool, and it seems they did that as well as could be expected in one off-season.

Doesn't account for Armstead, and probably would've bashed the fins regardless of what happened
Firstly, the OP used PFF as a means to show how great we were doing in FA prior to signing Armstead, but they obviously didn't see it that way. Secondly, you are exactly right, it doesn't account for Armstead. They show us as "Below Average" until we signed our FA "whale". He moves the needle for us unlike the other signings did. Glad you agree.

Back
Top Bottom