PFF's views/rankings on the players we have signed | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF's views/rankings on the players we have signed

Looked to see where pff, as of this morning, ranked the Dolphins signings and pretty much middle of the pack with a slight of improvement.

View attachment 102774
Pretty interesting, though far from indicative of anything. Here's last year's same chart

EwuzOYDXEAco0DI.jpg

The Bengals got worse yet went from 4-11-1 to the Super Bowl. Jets and Jags near the top of the list but were abysmal

Does being a Lemming come with a gift certificate of some kind?

I'm looking forward to Cedric Wilson hoisting up the Lombardi as he is named Super Bowl MVP.
With tears in your eyes - LOL
No doubt from the joy of being wrong - LOL

Fair Warning: Very long post.

Obviously Armstead’s injury history is a concern, but it doesn’t automatically mean we’re going to be missing him for half the season. In 2019 and 2020, he started 15 and 14 games. Last season was bad- only started 8 games, but without doing a deep dive, there’s also a thing called context that’s important. If 2022 wasn’t a contract year for Armstead, and Brees was still the QB for NOLA, maybe the Saints are in the hunt for the 1 seed, a 1st round bye and Armstead is more likely to play through some of those injuries. When you’re starting Ian Book at QB and your team is out of the hunt with several weeks to play, it’s pretty good business from Armstead’s perspective to play it safe and roll into FA healthy.

Even if he does miss some games in Miami, I think it’s a pretty huge positive for young guys like Austin Jackson and Eich to be practicing with and learning from a guy like TA. Hell, the entire O-Line will benefit from having this guy as a teammate.

I scratch my head at all of the doom and gloom coming from a good portion of this fanbase as well as some of its beat reporters. We’ve literally seen multiple Free Agency periods in which Miami dumps millions upon millions of dollars trying to fill each position of need with a top 3 free agent. It NEVER has worked and usually results in Miami being in cap hell 2 or 3 years down the road.

If Miami lands TA tomorrow, I think they absolutely nailed the first Free Agency period in the McDaniel era. Keeping Ogbah was huge and I’m a fan of holding onto Gesecki as well. Connor Williams is an above average starting Guard, who at the age of 24 has his best football ahead of him. Cedrick Wilson is only 26 and it seemed like every time I tuned into a Dallas game last season, the kid was finding a way to make a play on a team that was chalk full of playmakers. Signing Bridgewater to back up Tua is about the best move Miami could have made there. Once we knew McDaniel was our guy, it was obvious that we were gonna be a RB by committee offense and both Edmunds and Mostert fit this zone run scheme to a T.

I’m already really happy with the moves Miami has made and we still have the draft and the 2nd wave of free agency to go. The Dolphins brought back their 2 most important free agents, and then started filling holes by signing younger players who are perfect scheme fits for what McDaniel wants to do.
Best post i've seen in a long time. Agree with everything in here

The Dolphins have done what was expected in F/A with the exception of signing a starting caliber LT. Hopefully by the end of the day on Monday, Armstead will have signed, adding to the F/A haul for 2022.

His injury history has been an obvious concern, but still remains an elite player at his position, a need for Miami.

If and when Miami and Armstead agree to terms. The 2022 F/A period for the Dolphins becomes a Grand Slam.

Looked to see where pff, as of this morning, ranked the Dolphins signings and pretty much middle of the pack with a slight of improvement.

View attachment 102774
But I mean look at the numbers. The only team that's close to *1* more win compared to who was there is the broncos. All the spending the jags did has gotten them half a win. Imo that shows that winning FA doesn't necessarily mean you're a locked in team

The Dolphins have done what was expected in F/A with the exception of signing a starting caliber LT. Hopefully by the end of the day on Monday, Armstead will have signed, adding to the F/A haul for 2022.

His injury history has been an obvious concern, but still remains an elite player at his position, a need for Miami.

If and when Miami and Armstead agree to terms. The 2022 F/A period for the Dolphins becomes a Grand Slam.

As you know, everyone has their view of "what was expected." If Mia didn't sign who *I* wanted, they failed miserably. Well, Grier failed miserably, but that's a different thread.
I'm uncertain about Armstead, but it's a chance worth taking. All the others are upgrades or no change (e.g., Gesicki). I believe being better or worse is mostly on the coaches

But I mean look at the numbers. The only team that's close to *1* more win compared to who was there is the broncos. All the spending the jags did has gotten them half a win. Imo that shows that winning FA doesn't necessarily mean you're a locked in team
They factor in trades as well so the Broncos, Raiders, and Browns significantly improved that way.

Pff introduced their model in 2020 and the top 10 teams improved their wins that year by 2.7 games. Not sure what it was last year.

They factor in trades as well so the Broncos, Raiders, and Browns significantly improved that way.

Pff introduced their model in 2020 and the top 10 teams improved their wins that year by 2.7 games. Not sure what it was last year.
Hmm. I'm a bit of a stats guy, I'd hope they'd get a bit better with the real projection there. This is saying the broncos are only getting 1 extra win but if the top 10 teams improve by 3 wins....kinda weird.

Thanks for the extra information though dude!

As you know, everyone has their view of "what was expected." If Mia didn't sign who *I* wanted, they failed miserably. Well, Grier failed miserably, but that's a different thread.
I'm uncertain about Armstead, but it's a chance worth taking. All the others are upgrades or no change (e.g., Gesicki). I believe being better or worse is mostly on the coaches
I've obviously beaten my opinion to death on our FA signings so I'm not gonna annoy people much more about it, but the bottom line is this, if we closed the gap on our competition from a talent standpoint, then our FA was a success, if we didn't, it was a failure.

I guess only time will tell.

Miami addressed 3 needs during F/A; WR, RB and OL. All of which were expected. I agree with you about the expectation of the players signed, compared to who the fans wanted. But in the end, needs were potentially filled with players the coaching were either familiar with or liked enough to have offers made.

The only reason that Armstead is available is that he has had a series of minor injuries and that the Saints are in cap Hell.

If he was on any other team, he'd be locked up tight.
A series of minor injuries = 47 games missed, almost 3 complete seasons. Armstead, as good as he is (3 pro bowls in 9 seasons) I only hope, if we sign him, he does something he's never done in his 9 year career and that's playing a complete season.

Very true but one big difference. Armstead is one of the best tackles out there, Parker is a decent receiver, but hardly one of the best. Armstead is a huge gamble because of the injury factor, but he is still one of the best at what he does. Grier said he was going to be aggressive, signing a great, injury prone OT is the epitome of swinging for the fences and being aggressive. Hopefully it works out. Only time will tell if he signs with the Fins.
I somewhat disagree with that if you believe Parker is just decent on ability.

If you think he is just decent because of his injury problem, though I still disagree, I will admit his worth does come down because of consistency.

When Parker is healthy, he can, and has taken over games against the best the NFL has to offer to cover him.

Parker is aggressive going up for the ball, and very few DBs will out bully him when the ball is in the air around him.

Also Parkers concentration is amazing with how many catches he has made with DBs all over him.

He is no longer a #1 receiver, but is a very good #2, or awesome #3 receiver.

Fair Warning: Very long post.

Obviously Armstead’s injury history is a concern, but it doesn’t automatically mean we’re going to be missing him for half the season. In 2019 and 2020, he started 15 and 14 games. Last season was bad- only started 8 games, but without doing a deep dive, there’s also a thing called context that’s important. If 2022 wasn’t a contract year for Armstead, and Brees was still the QB for NOLA, maybe the Saints are in the hunt for the 1 seed, a 1st round bye and Armstead is more likely to play through some of those injuries. When you’re starting Ian Book at QB and your team is out of the hunt with several weeks to play, it’s pretty good business from Armstead’s perspective to play it safe and roll into FA healthy.

Even if he does miss some games in Miami, I think it’s a pretty huge positive for young guys like Austin Jackson and Eich to be practicing with and learning from a guy like TA. Hell, the entire O-Line will benefit from having this guy as a teammate.

I scratch my head at all of the doom and gloom coming from a good portion of this fanbase as well as some of its beat reporters. We’ve literally seen multiple Free Agency periods in which Miami dumps millions upon millions of dollars trying to fill each position of need with a top 3 free agent. It NEVER has worked and usually results in Miami being in cap hell 2 or 3 years down the road.

If Miami lands TA tomorrow, I think they absolutely nailed the first Free Agency period in the McDaniel era. Keeping Ogbah was huge and I’m a fan of holding onto Gesecki as well. Connor Williams is an above average starting Guard, who at the age of 24 has his best football ahead of him. Cedrick Wilson is only 26 and it seemed like every time I tuned into a Dallas game last season, the kid was finding a way to make a play on a team that was chalk full of playmakers. Signing Bridgewater to back up Tua is about the best move Miami could have made there. Once we knew McDaniel was our guy, it was obvious that we were gonna be a RB by committee offense and both Edmunds and Mostert fit this zone run scheme to a T.

I’m already really happy with the moves Miami has made and we still have the draft and the 2nd wave of free agency to go. The Dolphins brought back their 2 most important free agents, and then started filling holes by signing younger players who are perfect scheme fits for what McDaniel wants to do.

This is spot on.

There are two points that I think many on this forum are missing, specifically this off-season.

1) Chris Grier's goal as a GM. It amazes me that it's literally been reported by multiple sources that he tries to get coaches the players they want, and the majority of posters lay the blame at Grier's feet every single time. His job as GM is to facilitate the HC and their scheme. That's pretty much exactly what he's done, again, this offseason. Want to lay a good chunk of the blame for coach selection at his feet? No argument here. But player selection? Not as much.

2) We might have some idea of what McDaniel's offense will look like in 2022, but it's still speculative. That's why we can't really judge this offseason until we see how the parts come together. Do I understand the Gesicki signing? No. Would I have done it? No...and I don't fully understand how McDaniel's scheme is best suited for a TE who doesn't block well...but for the moment I trust him to make it work.

If the team signs Armstead today, people are still going to complain. I understand the frustration with the lack of success this team has had - its playoff win drought is old enough to drink. But man, some of the posters are just exhausting. Maybe at least see what happens in the draft, or even what the team looks like in training camp before writing off the season.

I have been saying all along that the Dolphins have done an excellent job in free free agency whether they sign Armstead or not. Their resigning of Ogbah and Gesicki along with the resigning of their players on defense and the addition of free agents at positions of need has been a home run, IMO.

Unfortunately some posters only see free agency as a success if a team overpays the biggest names in free agency.

Back
Top Bottom