PFF's views/rankings on the players we have signed | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF's views/rankings on the players we have signed

Is PFF a reputable, reliable site? I get confused because its validity seems to hinge on whether it supports a pro Dolphin narrative or not.

Next I’m looking forward to posters who previously bashed us for prematurely “winning free agency” proclaiming us as free agency winners this year Because it fits their agenda.

Signing Armstead would be great for the 1 game he's hopefully healthy for...something tells me the same people who b*tch about Parker being made of glass will have a quick change of heart if we snag TA. Parker has missed around 17% of his snaps, Armstead is closer to 40%...I know signing a premium tackle is exciting, but he's huge, hopefully him being in street clothes will free up some room for him to fit on the pine.
Very true but one big difference. Armstead is one of the best tackles out there, Parker is a decent receiver, but hardly one of the best. Armstead is a huge gamble because of the injury factor, but he is still one of the best at what he does. Grier said he was going to be aggressive, signing a great, injury prone OT is the epitome of swinging for the fences and being aggressive. Hopefully it works out. Only time will tell if he signs with the Fins.

Very true but one big difference. Armstead is one of the best tackles out there, Parker is a decent receiver, but hardly one of the best. Armstead is a huge gamble because of the injury factor, but he is still one of the best at what he does. Grier said he was going to be aggressive, signing a great, injury prone OT is the epitome of swinging for the fences and being aggressive. Hopefully it works out. Only time will tell if he signs with the Fins.

Asking earnestly…

Are there ever players who are consistently injury prone who all the sudden are not? I know the likelihood of him playing 15+ games is not good, but does it EVER happen?

Fair Warning: Very long post.

Obviously Armstead’s injury history is a concern, but it doesn’t automatically mean we’re going to be missing him for half the season. In 2019 and 2020, he started 15 and 14 games. Last season was bad- only started 8 games, but without doing a deep dive, there’s also a thing called context that’s important. If 2022 wasn’t a contract year for Armstead, and Brees was still the QB for NOLA, maybe the Saints are in the hunt for the 1 seed, a 1st round bye and Armstead is more likely to play through some of those injuries. When you’re starting Ian Book at QB and your team is out of the hunt with several weeks to play, it’s pretty good business from Armstead’s perspective to play it safe and roll into FA healthy.

Even if he does miss some games in Miami, I think it’s a pretty huge positive for young guys like Austin Jackson and Eich to be practicing with and learning from a guy like TA. Hell, the entire O-Line will benefit from having this guy as a teammate.

I scratch my head at all of the doom and gloom coming from a good portion of this fanbase as well as some of its beat reporters. We’ve literally seen multiple Free Agency periods in which Miami dumps millions upon millions of dollars trying to fill each position of need with a top 3 free agent. It NEVER has worked and usually results in Miami being in cap hell 2 or 3 years down the road.

If Miami lands TA tomorrow, I think they absolutely nailed the first Free Agency period in the McDaniel era. Keeping Ogbah was huge and I’m a fan of holding onto Gesecki as well. Connor Williams is an above average starting Guard, who at the age of 24 has his best football ahead of him. Cedrick Wilson is only 26 and it seemed like every time I tuned into a Dallas game last season, the kid was finding a way to make a play on a team that was chalk full of playmakers. Signing Bridgewater to back up Tua is about the best move Miami could have made there. Once we knew McDaniel was our guy, it was obvious that we were gonna be a RB by committee offense and both Edmunds and Mostert fit this zone run scheme to a T.

I’m already really happy with the moves Miami has made and we still have the draft and the 2nd wave of free agency to go. The Dolphins brought back their 2 most important free agents, and then started filling holes by signing younger players who are perfect scheme fits for what McDaniel wants to do.

Asking earnestly…

Are there ever players who are consistently injury prone who all the sudden are not? I know the likelihood of him playing 15+ games is not good, but does it EVER happen?
I think it's more reasonable to expect an injury prone college player to "get over it", they are young, heal faster, and have access to much more support in the NFL ie training, nutrition.

If a vet is consistently getting hurt, don't see them dropping the label often. Healed doesn't mean fully functional.

And the risk reward arguement for TA is valid, guess one finger Fuller scarred me.

I also like the Ogbah and Williams additions. It's a big gamble, but I'm also quite excited to see whether Mostert can stay healthy, because he's a big boom/bust prospect. I also like that we re-upped Gesicki .... but I can't help but wonder whether we couldn't have done a LOT better re-signing him last offseason instead of Jerome Baker.

We don't need to go from 32 ranked OL to 1st. Even if we had a 15th best OL I would have to believe the offense would be exponentially better. Idk, this guy is going to cost a lot, is going to make it harder to re-sign core players in the future, when we could just get someone like Lucas and draft someone like Zion Johnson/ Tyler Smith, and trust that Mcdaniel and company know how to teach and coach a functioning line.

The best signing to date is Ogbah, but that doesn’t improve the team from last year, it keeps it from taking a loss.

The hope is Bridgewater doesn’t take a snap this year unless it is game 17 and Tua is resting for the playoffs.

To me it gets down to how much value Connor, Williams, Edmonds, Mostert, and Ingold add. Those are the additions to last year’s team and all have a good chance for significant snaps.

Hopefully last year was an anomaly for Connors. 10 holding penalties his first 3 years combined, to 11 and a benching last year.

Williams staying healthy alone should be a upgrade at WR.

Obviously McDaniel knows what he is looking for in RBs and that is the unit with the most potential for improvement it seems.

Armstead being signed would move the free agent signings as a whole from mediocre to good, at least on paper.

Is PFF a reputable, reliable site? I get confused because its validity seems to hinge on whether it supports a pro Dolphin narrative or not.

Next I’m looking forward to posters who previously bashed us for prematurely “winning free agency” proclaiming us as free agency winners this year Because it fits their agenda.
There are two formal ways to evaluate talent, objectively and subjectively. Numbers, formulas and math equations are objective, cut and dry and of course only give out the sum of the data entered and nothing more. The ol' eyeball test, the "it factor" and that one play that seems to always be made by the super stars is subjective because on paper there is almost no more probability of any one player making the play yet for some reason certain players seem to do it time and time again (kinda like Aaron Rodgers and his hail marries).

PFF is just one tool on the objective side of things. They have their own formulas and metrics so it's up to you to believe if they are valid or not. I mean it's no different than listening to the so called "draft kings" talk about their can't miss prospect. It might be a crap shoot at best but what other factors do you have when trying to improve a team in the off-season?

On paper the team improved. Remains to be seen if the results match the sum. So until the team plays it is always an incomplete grade so yeah, I say PFF has it right based on my opinion but it doesn't mean Miami is going to the playoffs.

Last edited:
Since there has been so much discussion about the quality and quantity of the Free Agents that we have signed, I decided to see what an impartial rating service had to say. I am not claiming that PFF is the best, only that its ratings were easy to find and widely quoted. These ratings were posted pre-FA and some players who were released during this period may have been added. They ranked the 200 best Free Agents available.

#16 Emmanuel Ogbah-- They rated his value at 15.5M/year and 30M guaranteed. We gave him 16M and 32M.
#31 Connor Williams-- His value 6.67M/year and 12.5 guaranteed. Amost exactly what's been reported, though the numbers are not yet posted.
#41 Teddy Bridgewater-- 8.5M/Year, 12M guaranteed. We got him for 6.5M and one year.
#70 Chase Edmonds-- 6M/Year, 9M Guaranteed. 6M/Year, 6M Guaranteed
#95 Cedric Wilson-- 6.25M/Year, 9M Guaranteed. 7M/Year, 12.75 Guaranteed
#181 Raheem Mostert-- 1.75M, 1.25 Guaranteed. 1.9M, 1M Guaranteed.

First of all, PFF ABSOLUTELY NAILED their valuations-- just amazingly close to what we paid on all of them. But beyond that, in a 32-team league, we've gotten 3 of the top 41, and 5 of the top-100 players, which is an over performance, certainly not the bust that some have claimed. ...and guess who PFF's #1 FA was, that's right, Terron Armstead. If we land Armstead, we will have truly dominated the FA period, both in number of players and in value.

Great Post!

We have won Free Agency and the "Lemmings" don't even know it - LOL

"Lemming Alert", "Lemming Alert" - LOL

"Lemming Alert", "Lemming Alert" - LOL
Does being a Lemming come with a gift certificate of some kind?

I'm looking forward to Cedric Wilson hoisting up the Lombardi as he is named Super Bowl MVP.

Looked to see where pff, as of this morning, ranked the Dolphins signings and pretty much middle of the pack with a slight of improvement.

81F195AF-B673-440A-8F86-44C1CCF7E2F6.png

Back
Top Bottom