Philbin vs Fisher- Who Did a Better Job? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin vs Fisher- Who Did a Better Job?

Oh….can I say incomplete? I think the trades the Rams have made have given them a chance to make a jump in year three, but their division is brutal.

Yeah, that sound fair but, I do like what the Rams are doing more than what we are, so far.

You know what? I will take the bait. It is a stupid comparison of a veteran like Rivers vs. a young QB in his second year in Tannehill.
How do you figure it's a stupid comparison when what we're talking about here are their head coaches, who were associated with the play of their QBs regardless of where those QBs were in their careers?

Where those QBs were in their careers is irrelevant. McCoy benefitted from a veteran Rivers who played very well, and Philbin was associated with a slightly below-average second-year player who may never attain Rivers's status. Good luck making a reliable comparison between McCoy and Philbin under those conditions.

This is NOT yet another QB stat thread, and I'm REALLY getting sick and tired of MANY threads becoming such. This is about a coaching comparison, just in case some have problems with reading and comprehension. DAMN, this does PISS ME OFF.
Well don't look now, but QB play drives the bus in the NFL, and so if you're going to talk about the performance of coaches, you'd be wise to consider the performance of their QBs.

Well don't look now, but QB play drives the bus in the NFL, and so if you're going to talk about the performance of coaches, you'd be wise to consider the performance of their QBs.

Why do you have to bring Tannehill into every convo? This was about coaches. Your agenda is duly noted on the many other threads you create.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

What about the other 50+ men on the field.

Tuff call, as Fisher has to deal with Seattle and SF, as well as a pretty good Zona team twice a year, and had to play Kellen Clemens as his starting QB for 9 games last year. I have to give Fisher the advantage.

Arizona sucked last year and Fisher has had final say on personnel not to mention they've had an abundance of picks from the RGIII trade. IMO, Fisher has been a disappointment when you factor in everything.

True. However, all threads are not posted for your accounting skills, which I would question. This one was for a coaching staff comparison, and IF you have something to say, accounting or otherwise, it would be more than welcome.

The comparison is on all players, drafts, FA's, and development, etc. Get off your "Man Crusher" deal with RT and try to do something a bit different. It's become boring.

Arizona sucked last year and Fisher has had final say on personnel not to mention they've had an abundance of picks from the RGIII trade. IMO, Fisher has been a disappointment when you factor in everything.

Zona won 10 games and beat Seattle in Seattle, NOT an easy thing to do when Seattle was playing for the top spot. They did not suck.

Zona won 10 games and beat Seattle in Seattle, NOT an easy thing to do when Seattle was playing for the top spot. They did not suck.

That was this year. Read my post again. Arizona was 5-11 last year...how is it they can make a jump to 10 wins in the same division and the Rams could not with all of their picks? And don't tell me it was getting Carson Palmer cause that guy is overrated.

Fisher's dealing with what is now by far the toughest division in football. So he gets the edge, but hanging around the .500 mark should never get applause. They've both done jobs which aren't near good enough.

Its a tie. I didn't want either coach, just was somewhat indignant that we put our coaching search on hold to wait on friggin Jeff Fisher. This is why we ended up with the very average at best Philbin. I do like Fishers staff better but the results have been subpar to say the least.

I think it is slightly in Philbin's favor at this point....but close to a tie. I say Philbin due to the rookie QB situation last year in Miaim vs. the more established and experienced Bradford in St. Louis.

I was never too excited about the possibility of Fisher as a coach of the Phins. He spent a lot of time with the Titans with only limited success. Additionally, I think Harbaugh, Carroll and Arians are better coaches, so in my mind he is the 4th best coach in that division.

Fisher is also the de facto GM and as such he let Jackson, Amendola and Gibson go among others. He also made the decision to stick with a shaky over-rated QB (whether he stayed heallthy or not) so when you consider Fisher, it must be in a bigger context. Personally, I didn't want someone who would still have been slogging along in TN if not fired...at that point putting up 6 whole winning seasons out of 16 and 6 games (now it's 18+6 games) with a couple of mountains mixed in there, true, but too many valleys and flatlands to be anything other than a career mediocre HC. So he made his own bed, I sure wouldn't want him as my real GM and with nearly 20 years in, there's no empirical reasons to project that his pattern of mediocrity will ever change. So regardless of whether he's done a slightly worse job than Philbin (my estimation considering the OL and distractions Philbin had to work with) or marginally better, it's moot cuz we hired the HC with more potential upside. Of course, with a better, less turbulent OL and almost anyone other than Sherman calling the plays, this question would actually have been a no-brainer.

Aside from that he's sort of the HC reptile equi8valent of Martin - having played Ross in collusion with the Rams' presidents Dad, Marvin Demoff to also get to play Kroenke cuz that grifter move was what it was all about. So if he were here, I'd trust him about as far as I could throw him.

Back
Top Bottom