Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next?

yeah i thought they wanted him to get down to 285 to be more athletic for mike nolans defense...

With a shot to start from day 1, don't be surprised if Odrick garners some ROY attention. Very frequently the rookie of the year isn't who is the best, but rather who is given the best opportunity early on.

Merling, you've done everything possible to make the team regret your selection and fate has just knocked you down a few more pegs. Hopefully you mature enough during this break to stay in the NFL.

Another strong possibility involves moving Quentin Moses to DE. Moses didn't get a whole lot of playing time, but the tape I put together shows a few choice snaps that lead you to believe he could play a 3-4 RDE role.

He's got great length, and because he's been here for over two years, he's come a long way in using his hands and his eyes, reading the plays and getting used to the 3-4 style of play of engaging, reading and getting off blocks.

Mike Nolan is not going to be a huge fan of him at LB because he's a little too bulky in space, not fast or quick enough. He's more of a downhill guy. In Nolan's defense, in my opinion he'd have to play WOLB, and I don't think he has the pass rush ability to justify playing him at that position.

But if you move him to 3-4 RDE, you might actually have something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um8wPIfmWBc

What stands out to me about that video is really his physical work in the trenches. He seems like he's laboring pretty hard when asked to make plays in space, I thought he was surprisingly mediocre doing so but still not exactly starter quality. But when you look at his work in the trenches, if he can do that same work against offensive tackles (he's very strong and has long arms), again you might have something.

Now if you like, fast forward to 3:17 in the video. He's up against New England's left tackle, Matt Light. This isn't a 3-4 exactly but it's actually close enough considering the responsibilities. He pretty much does it perfectly here. He engages the left tackle, reads the play, uses his hands to keep the blocker off him, disengages and gets off the block to hit the runner in the gap. This is really the only time in the video he does this against an offensive tackle, but he's doing the exact same thing over and over again against Tight Ends the whole time. Maybe it's time to see if he can bump up to tackles, and use his quickness advantage against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another strong possibility involves moving Quentin Moses to DE. Moses didn't get a whole lot of playing time, but the tape I put together shows a few choice snaps that lead you to believe he could play a 3-4 RDE role.

He's got great length, and because he's been here for over two years, he's come a long way in using his hands and his eyes, reading the plays and getting used to the 3-4 style of play of engaging, reading and getting off blocks.

Mike Nolan is not going to be a huge fan of him at LB because he's a little too bulky in space, not fast or quick enough. He's more of a downhill guy. In Nolan's defense, in my opinion he'd have to play WOLB, and I don't think he has the pass rush ability to justify playing him at that position.

But if you move him to 3-4 RDE, you might actually have something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um8wPIfmWBc

What stands out to me about that video is really his physical work in the trenches. He seems like he's laboring pretty hard when asked to make plays in space, I thought he was surprisingly mediocre doing so but still not exactly starter quality. But when you look at his work in the trenches, if he can do that same work against offensive tackles (he's very strong and has long arms), again you might have something.

Now if you like, fast forward to 3:17 in the video. He's up against New England's left tackle, Matt Light. This isn't a 3-4 exactly but it's actually close enough considering the responsibilities. He pretty much does it perfectly here. He engages the left tackle, reads the play, uses his hands to keep the blocker off him, disengages and gets off the block to hit the runner in the gap. This is really the only time in the video he does this against an offensive tackle, but he's doing the exact same thing over and over again against Tight Ends the whole time. Maybe it's time to see if he can bump up to tackles, and use his quickness advantage against them.

Sounds like a huge reach to me...

He is only 265? I guess he could put on the weight...

I could see him playing strongside in a 43...

Vernon Gholston has been moved and its basically the Jets trying to save face...

Kinda like what we did with Wilford IMO..

I did notice in the 2nd NE game they did this with Taylor too..

if moses is only 265 can he really add enough weight and remain athletic enough to play well at this point??

It's amazing to me the number of people claiming they could have predicted this injury based on his legal issues. If that's the case then Miami is really in trouble because Tony McDaniel is about to tear an ACL, Ronnie Brown and Will Allen are going to suffer high ankle sprains, Brian Hartline is going to strain a quad, and Jeff Ireland is about to come down with gonorrhea.

Thats not really what I said, I was actually surprised to hear he was injured (especially an achilles injury), but I was not surprised to hear we lost him for the year because I was worried about him having legal problems.

Typical legal problems are one thing, I usually don't worry because there are many ways to fix those problems. However, something struck me with a bad feeling about this case. Beating on women (allegedly) is one thing, but beating on a pregnant woman is something that can't be swept under the rug as well.

Anyhow, not sure if your response was even directed at my comments, but just wanted to clarify:)

HOWEVER, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that it is unusually coincidental that this injury is keeping him out for the year in such recent proximity to announcements regarding further prosecution of his battery charges.

Based on what I've seen on the tape, no it's not a huge reach.

Its not everday you see 34 OLB's turned into 34 De's...

Thats why the Gholtson move was such a shock to me...Anything is possible I suppose..
I never thought in my wildest dreams that Vonnie Holliday would have been tried out at OLB..
and there was some rumor that GB was moving one of their 34 De to OLB as well..

I guess on a roational basis anything can be done.

I actually was wrong again..on Moses

NFL.com has him listed at 260...

So really I would say he would have to gain at least 30 pounds..to play De in 34..

I guess it could be done...but in about a month?

I love the idea. Being loaded with fresh kids at OLB it might be a good idea to try him there. DE in 4 dline sets with odrick inside. He could be more effective there using his speed. Whats his size??

Baker is the guy who could really take advantage of this situation. I have read some interesting commentary on him from the off season, and he didn't embarass himself last year in limited play. I think he is the sleeper already on the roster.

Its not everday you see 34 OLB's turned into 34 De's...

Thats why the Gholtson move was such a shock to me...Anything is possible I suppose..
I never thought in my wildest dreams that Vonnie Holliday would have been tried out at OLB..
and there was some rumor that GB was moving one of their 34 De to OLB as well..

I guess on a roational basis anything can be done.

For one thing, Ikaika Alama-Francis is working out at 3-4 DE for us and most evaluated him as a 3-4 OLB coming out, if he were to play in one, and he played 4-3 DE over in Detroit. His size doesn't really make him look a whole lot like a 3-4 DE but the Dolphins are still trying him there.

Moses plays in the 260's. He can probably get up to around 270, maybe a little above. We're not talking about him starting at DE and playing 700 snaps. We're talking about him being involved in the rotation. I watch him play I don't see a 260 pound guy that can't handle himself against offensive linemen. I see a guy with good length, weight, hand use and strength that might be able to get the job done for a few plays at a time.

Y'all can be obsessed with numbers on a piece of paper or infamously inaccurate listings on a website. That's not how I do my evaluation of players.

Last edited by a moderator:
For one thing, Ikaika Alama-Francis is working out at 3-4 DE for us and most evaluated him as a 3-4 OLB coming out, if he were to play in one, and he played 4-3 DE over in Detroit. His size doesn't really make him look a whole lot like a 3-4 DE but the Dolphins are still trying him there.

Moses plays in the 260's. He can probably get up to around 270, maybe a little above. We're not talking about him starting at DE and playing 700 snaps. We're talking about him being involved in the rotation. I watch him play I don't see a 260 pound guy that can't handle himself against offensive linemen. I see a guy with good length, weight, hand use and strength that might be able to get the job done for a few plays at a time.

Y'all can be obsessed with numbers on a piece of paper or infamously inaccurate listings on a website. That's not how I do my evaluation of players.

Francis actually played 34 De in college if I am not mistaken..

Am I obbessed with numbers on a page?

Well not really but size and weight does matter...

Francis is actually listed at 6'5 290..Which is pretty close to what you see in a 34 end most of the time...

I respect your opinion and am glad your thinking outside of the box with this one...

I cant see the video right now..but I will look at it later..

It would not be the first time you have proven me wrong

Back
Top Bottom