Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next?

ikaika whatever his name is wasn't even a good football player on college tape imo...

Guys I am contacting several Dallas beat writers to see if they can shed some light on the rumors of the Fins being interested in Marcus Spears, whatever I get I will keep you posted.

PS I am freaking pissed at Merling, I am out of the state on a business trip, stuck in a crappy hotel and trying to get news on a phone. Dammit Merling talk about being cursed.

]I am just fascinated with the idea of bringing these animals back with prehistoric DNA.

We've now had a run-of-the-mill cow give birth to an extinct species of cattle using DNA injection techniques coupled with in vitro fertilization. Speaking as a biochemist I can ensure you that Jurassic Park-esque reanimation may not be as farfetched as many would care to think.

when will we know exactly how this jackass got hurt?

I think I posted it a couple posts ago, according to the sun-sentinel it was at the Davie facility during offseason workouts. This is what I don't get I thought players were suppose to be on vacation and resting for training camp. Then again, that might be a lie by itself, you know the Trifecta like holding things close to their chest.

Spears was drafted by now-Dolphins exec Bill Parcells in the first round in 2005.

Dallas Morning News writer David Moore wrote on SportsDayDFW in a piece published July 7: Spears had another solid season and finished with a career high 2.5 sacks. Still, he received a lower tender from the club than backups Jason Hatcher and Stephen Bowen. The club floated his name in the days leading up to the draft, and Spears believes he could find himself with another team before the start of the regular season.

Spears has the inside track on the other starting job but can be challenged. He has started the last five years. Bowen and Hatcher do their best work in the nickel defense and will have to prove they are worthy of more. If neither does, Spears will retain the starting job.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/report-miami-dolphins-lose-dl.html

Spears would be good for a 6th round pick - or
Mcdaniels could be a diamond in the rough

@espn_macmahon @ArmandoSalguero is reporting Fins could be interested in @mspear96, What do you think the Boys would want in return....

@espn_macmahon and being that their have rumors of @mspear96 being on the block do you see a deal getting done

espn_macmahon @robi2184 Mid-round pick. Dolphins hadn't reached out to Cowboys as of this evening.

www.twitter.com/espn_mcmahon

@AaronAloysius Rumor in Miami are that the Fins could be interested in acquiring Marcus Spears after losing Merling, could you tell us.....

@AaronAloysius Dolfans what we should expect from Spears if he is acquired. What do you think of him as a DE & is he better the Merling

AaronAloysius @robi2184 Sorry, I haven't studied Spears closely. I know the Tuna's said to be a big fan.

@AaronAloysius Hey, no problem thank for the reply. Seems like the they might be reunited. Good thing the Fins drafted Odrick...

@AaronAloysius Opinions on Odrick who now immediately steps in as a starter at the start of training camp.

AaronAloysius @robi2184 Odrick should be ready to step up. I'd like to see him get a bit stronger, but he's got the skill set to be a very good 3-4 end.

AaronAloysius @robi2184 And I like that the Dolphins were able to bring in Dobbins & Edds as part of the trade down: both were guys I wanted for my Browns

www.twitter.com/AaronAloysius

Big blow to the defensive line in my opinion. Merling was not an all Pro, but anytime you lose a projected starter, it is not good news.

We are now thin at defensive end and this forces Odrick into the starting lineup much sooner then the team probably would have liked. The idea of adding Spears is intriguing, but adding him is going to cost the Dolphins draft picks which I don't think will happen. Especially when the original plan was to replace Merling with Odrick down the road.

With Odrick thrown into the starting lineup, Miami needs to add depth and someone like Spears is going to want to start and not be a backup. At least I think that would be the case.

Quit making it out like Merling was the **** or even close to that. So what he was a projected start big whoop. There is alot of terds who becomes "projected" starters but fail to ever get there. Merling isnt a real lose. Some security yes but nothing else.

Oh and....karma is a *****.

We don't necessarily need to go out and get a DE. We could get a NT/DT, and move Starks back to DE.

Peace out Merling. It going to take a lot for him to play for us again, but I don't see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom