Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Merling out for the year, Marcus Spears could be next?

To bad this didn't happen a week ago. Dolphins could have used a 7th round pick on Josh Price-Brent.

Didn't CK report that Fins were at his workout, and who knows how long the Fins have known about this, if the reports are true about this happening at the Fins facility my guess is this happened around mini camps. I am just glad we drafted Odrick, cause if not this would be a huge hole right now.

Well I'm supposed to be watching more Big Ten prospects but I finished up Adrian Clayborn (monster), Christian Ballard (monster), Obi Ezeh (slapd!ck) and Derrell Johnson-Koulianos (need to see more) so I'll start taking some more looks at Lionel Dotson and Tony McDaniel. Last year the Fins seemed to have some success with Starks, McDaniel and Wake with an extra pass rusher like Taylor. Maybe Misi can take Taylor's spot in that package. The plan probably was to have Merling get into base packages and Odrick come in on nickel, but now it might be more to have Odrick in on base and McDaniel in on nickel. McDaniel gives you that big tall long-armed presence on the interior that can track passes and bat them down, dominate the passer if he gets close, etc...see his batted pass against Drew Brees.

If you aren't thinking Odrick can come in and start, then why did Miami draft him in the first round? He has to be a starter in my opinion. Merling wasn't showing much. Langford has proved to be better. It wouldn't hurt to get a veteran now to come in and add depth to the line at the right price.

That's a good point. We might be being a little too nancy-ish about Odrick and the possibility of starting. You draft a guy in the 1st round, it's usually to play him. If you're scared to play him you probably didn't make the right choice.

Merling was technically a 2nd rounder but he was taken #32 overall because that was the year New England had their 1st rounder taken from them. To me, that makes him a 1st rounder. #32 overall = 1st round.

Ryan Baker = UDFA from Purdue, played a few snaps in the Buffalo game and actually got a sack, pressured the QB another time, generally did well. Makes you take notice when a guy makes a splash in limited opps.

CK, if you know offhand what is Baker's Height/weight? also, is Dotson built like a fire hydrant or am I lost there? im not a fan of Douglas playing 3-4 end at 6'2. it's funny this site. i recall when the Jets had him in last year many on this site thought we could run at him. now people want him in a Phin uniform.........

Merling was technically a 2nd rounder but he was taken #32 overall because that was the year New England had their 1st rounder taken from them. To me, that makes him a 1st rounder. #32 overall = 1st round.

Ryan Baker = UDFA from Purdue, played a few snaps in the Buffalo game and actually got a sack, pressured the QB another time, generally did well. Makes you take notice when a guy makes a splash in limited opps.

Everything Dolfans need to know on Ryan Baker: http://www.finheaven.com/index.php?start=6 , scroll down.

I really like Baker especially after everything I have read. I was told Miami plans to use him at both DE & NT. The guy has a hell of a motor and is relentless. Like I have said a hundred times already with the retiring of Big Ferg and the injury to Merling he has a great chance of making the team.

CK, if you know offhand what is Baker's Height/weight? also, is Dotson built like a fire hydrant or am I lost there? im not a fan of Douglas playing 3-4 end at 6'2. it's funny this site. i recall when the Jets had him in last year many on this site thought we could run at him. now people want him in a Phin uniform.........
Baker is listed as 6-5, 295 pounds. Though this was really what he was at the end of the 2009 season. His current weight will be posted at the beginning of training camp, and I bet it is higher than that. The team has spent the offseason trying to convert Baker to a nose tackle.

That sucks about Merling. His presence would have let Odrick ease in to it a lil more gradually. Now the Dolphins have to try and shuffle and scramble for personel. The only positive thing is it's early enough for the the team to have time to do something about it.

That sucks about Merling. His presence would have let Odrick ease in to it a lil more gradually. Now the Dolphins have to try and shuffle and scramble for personel. The only positive thing is it's early enough for the the team to have time to do something about it.

Hey you know what it is like Parcells favorite saying: "If they don’t bite when they’re pups, they don’t bite". I prefer that the rookie is thrown right into the fire rather than to see him brought up slowly. Look at Long, Langford, Carpenter, Bess, Davis, Harltine & Smith all saw significant time as rookies and they had to produce. The only position I think needs to be brought up slowly is the QB position. This is the best thing that could have happen for Odrick in my opinion.

Wow, that was 20 minutes of my life that I won't get back. Just watched the full complement of Lionel Dotson's 13 snaps against the Patriots, Week 9. Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom