Phillip Rivers NC State | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers NC State

Originally posted by Jaj
That was one year in Atlanta. Rivers could go into the late first round if he has a great combine, but top 10 you are idding me. So you are saying he could go over Eli Manning, Big Ben, and Losman? I don't think so.

I never said that. I think Manning will go top ten as well.

I wanted Miami to draft this kid after watching the NC State - Ohio State game. The guy sits in the pocket and can take a beating, but he always gets the ball off. Very smart and can read the blitz amazing. He is also extremely accurate. 72% on the year and in the game against FSU, he passed for like 400 yds on 25/32 with 3 tds and no picks. Just amazing. The guy is a star, but I think everyone is starting to realize it.

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
I wanted Miami to draft this kid after watching the NC State - Ohio State game. The guy sits in the pocket and can take a beating, but he always gets the ball off. Very smart and can read the blitz amazing. He is also extremely accurate. 72% on the year and in the game against FSU, he passed for like 400 yds on 25/32 with 3 tds and no picks. Just amazing. The guy is a star, but I think everyone is starting to realize it.

Being that I am a citizen of North Carolina and a HUGE fan of both the Miami Dolphins and the North Carolina State Wolfpack, I am very happy to hear Phillip Rivers name being tossed around. It's unbelieveable to think what Phillip has done in his four years in Raleigh. He will end up being THE BEST player to ever play at NC State, he will also shatter all ACC passing records. This kid has pro material written all over him. And yes, he looks just like Marino.

I agree with Danny_Dolphin. I live in the Triangle area, and have watched this kid play for four years. He's just plain a winner. He can move well. He has size (I think he's 6'5"). He is the best leader I've seen in college since Joe Montana. His delivery is VERY unusual, but Norm Chow (who was his offensive coordinator his freshman year, and was the guy who helped Carson Palmer become a Heisman winner last year) said that with his results, he wasn't thinking about changing the motion. His arm strength is not in the Elway/Favre class, but he's got a stronger arm than Plummer, Kosar, or even Montana. And accurate?? He's at around 72% for this entire season!

As a Colt fan, I would HATE to see him in a Dolphin uniform. That should tell you what I think about him.

i personally love the kid myself.. i believe he will be a great player, but his arm strength is DEFINATELY below what an nfl scout is looking for.. he is going to be a 2-3 round pick.. and because of his measurables, there is not much hope of him moving up much more than that...

this is the listings that tsn.com has for qbs... it will be moved around some.. but it is pretty close.. manning is the cream of the crop and big ben is right behind..

my personal favorites are manning, rivers, and van pelt.. in that order.

and before you say anything about the arm strenght comment.. it is true.. he does not have a big arm.. much like your qbs now.. but look at drew bledsoe.. he has a big arm and what good does that do him? none.. and they said that pennington had a weak arm too.. and i would take him over just about any qb in the game right now.

1 Ben Roethlisberger*, Miami (O.) -- -- -- -- -- 6-5 240 -- -- -- NA -- -- -- -- -- --
2 Eli Manning, Ole Miss -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 218 -- -- -- 4.85 -- -- -- -- -- --
3 J.P. Losman, Tulane -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 212 -- -- -- 4.80 -- -- -- -- -- --
4 Andrew Walter*, Arizona St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 219 -- -- -- N/A -- -- -- -- -- --
5 Cody Pickett, Wash. -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 220 -- -- -- 4.78 -- -- -- -- -- --
6 John Navarre, Michigan -- -- -- -- -- 6-5 235 -- -- -- 5.30 -- -- -- -- -- --
7 Jared Lorenzen, Kentucky -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 285 -- -- -- 5.12 -- -- -- -- -- --
8 Matt Schaub, Va. -- -- -- -- -- 6-5 244 -- -- -- 4.98 -- -- -- -- -- --
9 Philip Rivers, NC State -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 225 -- -- -- 5.04 -- -- -- -- -- --
10 Craig Krenzel, Ohio St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 227 -- -- -- 4.79 -- -- -- -- -- --
11 Josh Harris, Bowl. Green -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 226 -- -- -- 4.88 -- -- -- -- -- --
12 Luke McCown, La. Tech -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 202 -- -- -- 4.75 -- -- -- -- -- --
13 Ryan Dinwiddie, Boise St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-0 192 -- -- -- 4.95 -- -- -- -- -- --
14 Rod Rutherford, Pitt -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 215 -- -- -- 4.85 -- -- -- -- -- --
15 Bradlee Van Pelt, Colorado St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 225 -- -- -- 4.77 -- -- -- -- -- --
16 Robert Kent, Jackson St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 208 -- -- -- 4.65 -- -- -- -- -- --
17 Scott Rislov, San Jose St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 211 -- -- -- 4.95 -- -- -- -- -- --
18 Casey Clausen, Tennessee -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 215 -- -- -- 4.90 -- -- -- -- -- --
19 Adam Hall, San Diego St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 215 -- -- -- 4.80 -- -- -- -- -- --
20 Jason Fife, Oregon -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 222 -- -- -- 4.83 -- -- -- -- -- --

I am still for Losman. Reminds me alot of Favre.

i am not a losman fan at all.. i want a guy from a big school.. van pelt being the exception.. i like van pelt because of his ability to learn (look at his improvment over the last 3 years in all phases of the game) and his incredible scrambling ability..

losman may end up being good.. but i just cant sell myself on him.

Hey what's up Tatonka ? I haven't read too many of your post's on F-H in a while ....

Good to read ya .....

:wave:

Marino1983

Originally posted by Tatonka

1 Ben Roethlisberger*, Miami (O.) -- -- -- -- -- 6-5 240 -- -- -- NA -- -- -- -- -- --
4 Andrew Walter*, Arizona St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 219 -- -- -- N/A -- -- -- -- -- --
7 Jared Lorenzen, Kentucky -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 285 -- -- -- 5.12 -- -- -- -- -- --
9 Philip Rivers, NC State -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 225 -- -- -- 5.04 -- -- -- -- -- --
10 Craig Krenzel, Ohio St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-3 227 -- -- -- 4.79 -- -- -- -- -- --
11 Josh Harris, Bowl. Green -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 226 -- -- -- 4.88 -- -- -- -- -- --
13 Ryan Dinwiddie, Boise St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-0 192 -- -- -- 4.95 -- -- -- -- -- --
15 Bradlee Van Pelt, Colorado St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 225 -- -- -- 4.77 -- -- -- -- -- --
16 Robert Kent, Jackson St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 208 -- -- -- 4.65 -- -- -- -- -- --
17 Scott Rislov, San Jose St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-1 211 -- -- -- 4.95 -- -- -- -- -- --
18 Casey Clausen, Tennessee -- -- -- -- -- 6-4 215 -- -- -- 4.90 -- -- -- -- -- --
19 Adam Hall, San Diego St. -- -- -- -- -- 6-2 215 -- -- -- 4.80 -- -- -- -- -- --

Again, TSN proves they know nothing but baseball. Navarre, Lorenzen, and Shaub rated above Rivers, and Krenzel right on his heels, with Josh Harris ranked behind all of them :lol:

Losman easy best for us. Arm, release, mobility, competitiveness, and confidence.

Originally posted by Marino1983
Hey what's up Tatonka ? I haven't read too many of your post's on F-H in a while ....

Good to read ya .....

:wave:

Marino1983

hello sir.. it is tough to want to venture to other boards when your team is in the dumps for so long.. sometimes i cant even look at the bills board... i am really just still in shock.. i have never seen coaching effect a team so negatively.. i guess both of us have been scratching our heads this season.

Originally posted by Phishstix

Again, TSN proves they know nothing but baseball. Navarre, Lorenzen, and Shaub rated above Rivers, and Krenzel right on his heels, with Josh Harris ranked behind all of them :lol:

i think this is definately more of a product of the date it was put together.. i tried to preface that with the fact that the rankings will change some.. but they regardless, i was just trying to get a list out there.

i would be happy to look at your accurate list.

i think this is definately more of a product of the date it was put together.. i tried to preface that with the fact that the rankings will change some.. but they regardless, i was just trying to get a list out there.

i would be happy to look at your accurate list.

I don't have one, I'm just a TSN hater;)

;)

i actually like them. nobody is accurate.. especially when it comes to the draft.. but it can be good for bios ect...

i personally love the kid myself.. i believe he will be a great player, but his arm strength is DEFINATELY below what an nfl scout is looking for.. he is going to be a 2-3 round pick.. and because of his measurables, there is not much hope of him moving up much more than that...

this is the listings that tsn.com has for qbs... it will be moved around some.. but it is pretty close.. manning is the cream of the crop and big ben is right behind..

my personal favorites are manning, rivers, and van pelt.. in that order.

and before you say anything about the arm strenght comment.. it is true.. he does not have a big arm.. much like your qbs now.. but look at drew bledsoe.. he has a big arm and what good does that do him? none.. and they said that pennington had a weak arm too.. and i would take him over just about any qb in the game right now.

What about Smoker out of Mich State? Off the fields problems will kill him but were does he stand as far as draft statis?

As it stands he SHOULD be within reach. However, i don't know if we should necessarily take him. It would depend on the situation.

1. I'm not sold that he has game-killing mechanics. Though i HOPE NFL teams think he does. Maybe he can go to the combine and drop way low, so we could take him 3rd or 4th round..i'd love to see that.

However I doubt it will happen. I REALLY hope we make a trade up to TRY to pick up Eli. BUT if we trade up and miss Eli, is it worth taking Rivers high in the first? I doubt it, that i'd HATE to try to pick him up later and see him slip through our fingers.

If we sit on our picks (god help us, butyou know we will) and make the playoff's, or run the table yet miss them, then I hope we take Rivers low. If we trade up, i think we could have a more productive pick, though I'd love nothing more than to see Rivers in a Phins uniform......well nothing more than Eli. i recently moved out of the Triangle area, but these past few years have been a REAL treat watching Rivers. I used to go on my sisters student tickets to the games, and screamed my lungs off every second. Unfortunately I couldn't make the gator bowl. That said i'm at ISU now..but I don't forsee Flynn being a huge prospect in two years........

Back
Top Bottom