Phillip Rivers NC State | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers NC State

Have you looked at the heisman race lately Rivers is right in the mix and would be leading if the pack hadn't blew so many games.

He will be long gone before we pick, and he may have an awkward style but they compared he's release to Marino's and it was actually quicker.

I think Rivers will be second to Manning. My opinion is that he should be ahead of Manning. I think it is really easy to get on the Manning band wagon simply from the name, as unortodox as Rivers may be: on one of the Packs gamesone of the analyst compares Rivers release to Marino's and Rivers release was significantly faster. I think Rivers has the potential to be a great QB. Rivers #3 all time NCAA passing yards!

Originally posted by hunter5nc1
Rivers #3 all time NCAA passing yards!

Alright, I dont watch college ball so I can't really get in this mix, but I will mention one thing, who does Ty Detmer play for? Second string for the Lions right? Well he's #1 in NCAA passing yards. granted I know nothing else about his technique or receiving corps, but he does hold the record, and rarely get playing time at this point

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter5nc1 - they compared Rivers release to Marino's and it was quicker?? Give me a break. You'd rate Rivers over Manning and Roethlisberger. Snickers makes the best point in this whole thread - there are a tonne of great college QB's who dopn't make it in the NFL. Detmer, Tommie Frazier, Steve Taylor, Major Harris, Eric Crouch, Andre Ware. Rivers is a great college passer, but I would be surprised if he's a cognizant NFL starter. And if Miami were to draft him in R1 that would be a mistake as bad as Dave Wannstedt trading a 1st rounder for Rick Mirer.

Originally posted by Hellion

What about Smoker out of Mich State? Off the fields problems will kill him but were does he stand as far as draft statis?

he will be ranked right around rivers.. i think they are both 3 round type guys.. i do like smoker alot too.

Originally posted by hunter5nc1
He will be long gone before we pick, and he may have an awkward style but they compared he's release to Marino's and it was actually quicker.

i am absolutely positive that rivers will not go in the 1st round.. the only three that are there for the first round are

manning - lock for the 1st
big ben - lock for the 1st
losman - possible first, high second.

Rivers is moving up more than most people will admit, and most of the QB ratings are not up to date. He will go first round, Trust me.

bruce, you have to look at the guys in front of him.. and how many teams need qbs.. there are only about 4 teams that would use a 1st round pick on a qb.. and that is a maybe.. 1st round qb picks are such a risk.. i think a lot of teams would rather wait till the 2nd or 3 rd rounds and pick those guys, without having to put a huge investment into such a hit or miss position.

it is just my opinion..

but i like this kid , river, a lot.. i would love to see the bills draft him.. but there are at least 3 guys that are definately going to go ahead of him. and i think that will more than likely push him out of the first round...

i guess all this can be changed by a horrible or great combine... aka, kyle boller.

Originally posted by Tatonka
[1st round qb picks are such a risk.. i think a lot of teams would rather wait till the 2nd or 3 rd rounds and pick those guys, without having to put a huge investment into such a hit or miss position.[/B]

I disagree with the latest attitude toward (College Coaches & Quarterbacks) *-where else are they gonna come from?

It’s all about getting the right people for the "type" of team. We need an Offensive Leader and usually 99.9% of successful teams the QB is the Leader. Isn't this what you want out of your 1st round pick? If you're gonna play a player 1st round money, shouldn't he be the guy that has control of the ball?

Just because of "Leaf", "Couch" & "Spurer", "Davis".
Everyone thinks College Coaches, 1st Round QB's are domed in the NFL.

?Remember - J.Johnson, D.Marino, J.Elway, J.Kelly, P.Manning, M.Vick, etc & etc.

It's all about picking the right person for the type of team.
ex. If your team has great fast receivers you don't draft a QB that ran the "Option" all through college! Whether he was the top rated QB or not, it's just not smart.

Also just because J.J. took Dallas to the bowl in 2(?) years, every new college coach is now expected to do the same. Come on, It's just not gonna happen. Hell Davis started the NFL coaching an expansion team, and how good was the Redskins before Spurer?

1st Round you better get yourself a PLAYMAKER! And right now that need for us is QB. Have him learn for a year or two while you develop an OL and Receiving corps that matches his ability.

We Have a RB, FB, TE, 1WR.
Time to get QB, 2-OLs, 1WR - This should be our top 4 picks (in order) rest hope for hidden gems as you pick for depth.

Originally posted by KenCalo

I disagree with the latest attitude toward (College Coaches & Quarterbacks) *-where else are they gonna come from?

It’s all about getting the right people for the "type" of team. We need an Offensive Leader and usually 99.9% of successful teams the QB is the Leader. Isn't this what you want out of your 1st round pick? If you're gonna play a player 1st round money, shouldn't he be the guy that has control of the ball?

Just because of "Leaf", "Couch" & "Spurer", "Davis".
Everyone thinks College Coaches, 1st Round QB's are domed in the NFL.

?Remember - J.Johnson, D.Marino, J.Elway, J.Kelly, P.Manning, M.Vick, etc & etc.

It's all about picking the right person for the type of team.
ex. If your team has great fast receivers you don't draft a QB that ran the "Option" all through college! Whether he was the top rated QB or not, it's just not smart.

Also just because J.J. took Dallas to the bowl in 2(?) years, every new college coach is now expected to do the same. Come on, It's just not gonna happen. Hell Davis started the NFL coaching an expansion team, and how good was the Redskins before Spurer?

1st Round you better get yourself a PLAYMAKER! And right now that need for us is QB. Have him learn for a year or two while you develop an OL and Receiving corps that matches his ability.

We Have a RB, FB, TE, 1WR.
Time to get QB, 2-OLs, 1WR - This should be our top 4 picks (in order) rest hope for hidden gems as you pick for depth.

while i agree with you to an extent.. it is VERY tough to force picks like that.. you end up drafting a qb that is not worthy of a first rounder.. or a OL that should never have gone that high.

Why does everyone say "trust me" when saying he'll go first round? That's your opinion and I think there is no way he sniffs the first. You may think he has a strong arm Muck and maybe he does for a college guy. But for a first round type NFL QB he doesn't even compare with Manning or Ben, Losman is even better than him.

If you think at his accuracy, well it's true he's an accurate passer but he also throws alot of dink and dunk passes which you had better be accurate at. He does have a big time WR in Jerricho cotchery so I hope noone claims he doesn't have talent there.

I like the kid, but it would be a mistake to take him in the first and he probably won't slip to our late pick in the third.

trade down and take a Cody Pickett or Casey Clausen at QB would be the best bet. I just don't see Rivers being a pro QB. I'm in school to be an agent and I've worked with companies and other agencies as an intern and have learned alot about scouting players from this. I just don't see him being a huge star and that's what i want at QB.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Why does everyone say "trust me" when saying he'll go first round? That's your opinion and I think there is no way he sniffs the first. You may think he has a strong arm Muck and maybe he does for a college guy. But for a first round type NFL QB he doesn't even compare with Manning or Ben, Losman is even better than him.

If you think at his accuracy, well it's true he's an accurate passer but he also throws alot of dink and dunk passes which you had better be accurate at. He does have a big time WR in Jerricho cotchery so I hope noone claims he doesn't have talent there.

I like the kid, but it would be a mistake to take him in the first and he probably won't slip to our late pick in the third.

trade down and take a Cody Pickett or Casey Clausen at QB would be the best bet. I just don't see Rivers being a pro QB. I'm in school to be an agent and I've worked with companies and other agencies as an intern and have learned alot about scouting players from this. I just don't see him being a huge star and that's what i want at QB.

#1 Cody pickett?! are you kidding me? he isn't pro material... he's barley college material... 13 TD 11 INT, 57% competion= 6th rounder if he's lucky! not to mention he's 7th in amount of times sacked!

#2 let him slip to the 3rd round so we can get him... we could get an Oline player, and Michael Jenkins with our 2 first round picks.

1. Michael Jenkins
2. Vernon Carey
3. Philip Rivers

= big draft day.

here is someone else no one has mentioned.

Strock Clemminger from West Mississippi State. he is named after Don Strock. He was born during the Dolphins/Chargers game in 1981... his father, A Biloxi HS football coach, named him after his favorite NFL QB. Strock has grown up a Dolphin fan and according to NFL DRAFT REPORT has told his agent that money doesn't matter.. HE WANTS TO PLAY FOR HIS FINS!

Clemminger is the top rated passer in NCAA III. His stats are breathtaking and Mel Kiper recently called him the GREATEST sleeper in the history of the NFL draft..

WMS didn't make the playoffs this year but won the Divsion III championship the past 2 years.

This year Clemminger.. who at 6'5", 240lbs has NFL size.. had a completion % of 67.9.. threw 47 TDs and had only 6 Interceptions.

is he worth a look in the draft? i mean we could get him for league min... and we could threaten to cut him anytime he wants more money ;) lol jk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by BruceDickinson
Rivers is moving up more than most people will admit, and most of the QB ratings are not up to date. He will go first round, Trust me.

Wait!!! Bruce Dickinson??? Are you THE Bruce Dickinson????

Classic Name! Classic Sketch!! Don't Fear the Reaper, Bruce!!!

Rivers will go in the second or third round, TRUST ME....

(Just had to say it, since y'all are...)

Back
Top Bottom