Phillip Rivers NC State | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers NC State

Originally posted by TheMugwump

Wait!!! Bruce Dickinson??? Are you THE Bruce Dickinson????

Classic Name! Classic Sketch!! Don't Fear the Reaper, Bruce!!!

Rivers will go in the second or third round, TRUST ME....

(Just had to say it, since y'all are...)
:lol:
I need more cowbell!

I didn't think that sketch was very funny after the first time they said it, but ook if you guys think so.

Pickett will be a high pick, he has alot of the things you look for in a QB. Funny how we're so obsessed with stats in college players.

Rivers may well be a solid player in teh NFL. Where a player is picked really has nothing to do with how he'll be as a pro. All I'm saying is the draft execs will put him lower due to many factors. If you think otherwise than that's cool with me.

These people that are saying we should get a WR, OL, and then QB in the third. How are we getting this second pick? Are we trading something for it? We traded our original to NE, I just am clarifying if we're trading or not.

Originally posted by Phishstix

Again, TSN proves they know nothing but baseball. Navarre, Lorenzen, and Shaub rated above Rivers, and Krenzel right on his heels, with Josh Harris ranked behind all of them :lol:

Lorenzen is the only one that shouldn't be rated ahead of Rivers. The list that Tatonka posted is pretty accurate except that was that sites preseason rankings. It is currently:

1-Manning
2-Roethlisberger*
3-Walter*
4-Losman
5-Navarre
6-Pickett
7-Schaub
8-Rivers
9-Smoker
10-Harris

6-10 are subjective
Krenzel is nowhere near that list.

The main reasons Rivers isn't ranked that high is because of his average arm & his horrible mechanics. He is very accurate but people aren't sure how accurate he'll be once they change his side arm release to over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God - other people who don't think Phillip Rivers is a 1st rounder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cody Pickett 6th rounder??? Give me a break. Guy is a solid day 1 pick.

Madison29 - I think if you deconstruct Rivers' throwing motion, it will take such a long tine that actually you are better off with it the way it is.

I actually think if Lorenzen is in the right system and has a good QB coach, he could be a starter in this league. Guy is very mobile, hard to bring down, has the cannon and apart from Derek Abney, who wouldn't be anything more than a KR, 4th WR in the pro's, he hasn't been blessed with great WR talent. He needs to improce his accuracy and decision making, but that's all coachable.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
I didn't think that sketch was very funny after the first time they said it, but ook if you guys think so.

Pickett will be a high pick, he has alot of the things you look for in a QB. Funny how we're so obsessed with stats in college players.

Rivers may well be a solid player in teh NFL. Where a player is picked really has nothing to do with how he'll be as a pro. All I'm saying is the draft execs will put him lower due to many factors. If you think otherwise than that's cool with me.

These people that are saying we should get a WR, OL, and then QB in the third. How are we getting this second pick? Are we trading something for it? We traded our original to NE, I just am clarifying if we're trading or not.

PhinsmissedFG YOU IGNORANT SLUT!! What are you talking about? That was one of the funniest sketch's in SNL history.

I have a fever and the only prescription is more Cowbell!!
:D

Originally posted by Boomer
Thank God - other people who don't think Phillip Rivers is a 1st rounder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cody Pickett 6th rounder??? Give me a break. Guy is a solid day 1 pick.

Madison29 - I think if you deconstruct Rivers' throwing motion, it will take such a long tine that actually you are better off with it the way it is.

I actually think if Lorenzen is in the right system and has a good QB coach, he could be a starter in this league. Guy is very mobile, hard to bring down, has the cannon and apart from Derek Abney, who wouldn't be anything more than a KR, 4th WR in the pro's, he hasn't been blessed with great WR talent. He needs to improce his accuracy and decision making, but that's all coachable.

I always thought that accuracy was god-given.....How do you go about coaching that up?

Have you never heard of people say that "whilst Donavan McNabb still needs to improve his accuracy, it's much better than when he was drafted. Accuracy isn't god given, you can improve it with experience in a system and practice. If you continue to repeat an experience, you become better at it, more conditioned to it. Have you never discovered Pavlov's dogs?

Accuracy is perfected through technique but its up to the players senses to know when to add spice there here and over there. Donovan Mc Nabb is a good quarterback because he has the ability to make plays. He can be accurate while throwing on the run as well.

Why does everyone say "trust me" when saying he'll go first round? That's your opinion and I think there is no way he sniffs the first. You may think he has a strong arm Muck and maybe he does for a college guy. But for a first round type NFL QB he doesn't even compare with Manning or Ben, Losman is even better than him.

If you think at his accuracy, well it's true he's an accurate passer but he also throws alot of dink and dunk passes which you had better be accurate at. He does have a big time WR in Jerricho cotchery so I hope noone claims he doesn't have talent there.

I like the kid, but it would be a mistake to take him in the first and he probably won't slip to our late pick in the third.

trade down and take a Cody Pickett or Casey Clausen at QB would be the best bet. I just don't see Rivers being a pro QB. I'm in school to be an agent and I've worked with companies and other agencies as an intern and have learned alot about scouting players from this. I just don't see him being a huge star and that's what i want at QB.

Agents! Was this to impress someone? Agents are for legal issues, and trying to get the best deal for their client.
Everyone is a gamble. And from what I've seen Team Scouts, HCs, GMs can't guarantee a college player will make it as a pro any better than a really involved fan of football.
Remember my Thread began with me saying that I have a FEELING this kid will be a NFL Star. A Feeling is what it's eventually comes down to, and one day we will all know if the feeling was right.

Can't be any worst than picking "Leaf#1" or "Passing on Marino".
Yeah right, you continue telling me how to evaluate talent when at the end it's all about going with your gut!

Ken I don't know why you seem to think if someone tries to qualify why they think a certain way you're thinking I'm tryin to impress someone. BTW, I'm proud of the things I've accomplished and I feel it does lend some credence to my opinion to know i'm not a 15 yr old kid who thinks he's not gonna be good because he doesn't like the way he wears his uniform.

I live in NC and spent most of my life in Fla and a Nole grad. I've watched Rivers for four years. I'm glad to see him go. He fit into Amato's system perfeclty. Amato's offensive scheme can get people open. I'm not sure he has super star status though.

Miami has missed their window to get a QB. The defense will be long gone before we get a good QB. Then'll it'll be back like the Marino team. Unstoppable offence and a defense that can't stop nobody. I watched them the last 3-4 years pass on a QB. We could have gotten Drew Breez. Probably could have gotten Trent Green. It's too late.

Getting Brees would have been a huge mistake. Guy was the worst starting QB in the league for the first 1/2 of the season WITH LaDanian Tomlinson and David Boston. Just think how bad he would have been with Derrius Thompson and James McKnight.

Ken I don't know why you seem to think if someone tries to qualify why they think a certain way you're thinking I'm tryin to impress someone. BTW, I'm proud of the things I've accomplished and I feel it does lend some credence to my opinion to know i'm not a 15 yr old kid who thinks he's not gonna be good because he doesn't like the way he wears his uniform.

But that's my point, I don't care if your a 15 yr old kid or a 50 yr old former NFL Scout. I will listen to your opinion. Even if your reasoning is the way a player wares an article of clothing.

But if you try to back your opinion with a comment like yours I will contradict. What could you have learned from a brief session in scouting which is a 50/50 profession? And even if you spent 30 years in the field, would that really make your pick a lock for success. No of course not. You can do all the research on a player, time his release, running speed, throwing distance, & etc. Nothing except playing in the NFL will prove success or failure.

Once again, how many flops were picked in the first two rounds and how many gifted players were picked in later rounds? No your experience (& I happy for ya) does not lend some credence to me about your opinion. Just YOUR OPINION whether it’s by the stats or a gut feeling is fine with me.

Would that be wise to leave him alone? I know that he's 6'5(probably 6'3 1/2 once he measured at the combine) but a lot of his passes will be knocked down at the line if he continues to throw from the side. NFL players are a lot smarter than college players & will eat him alive.

If Lorenzen could drop 30-40 lbs he could be a good QB in the NFL but I don't think he'll do that. He has a cannon of an arm but he's not a Daunte Culpepper.

Originally posted by Boomer
Have you never heard of people say that "whilst Donavan McNabb still needs to improve his accuracy, it's much better than when he was drafted. Accuracy isn't god given, you can improve it with experience in a system and practice. If you continue to repeat an experience, you become better at it, more conditioned to it. Have you never discovered Pavlov's dogs?

If that's the case, then why hasn't Jay's accuracy improved over all this time in Norv's system?

And on a related note, If it is possible to increase accuracy through repetition, why do some baseball pitchers never make it?

I'm not trying to argue with you here, I really do want to know these answers and you always seem to be very well informed, I'm hoping that you can explain it to me.:)

Back
Top Bottom