Players to look at for next years draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Players to look at for next years draft

Excellent! Maybe you have some insight to this:

JTaylor99 said:
I know Devon Hester.

Do you consider Hester smart, a quick learner, or not? How sharp is he?

I ask because I've heard conflicting opinions. In 2003, Miami tried to use Hester on offense but he flopped. There were rumors he wasn't picking up the offensive schemes and couldn't master the playbook. But last year when he made so many huge plays on special teams and then began playing well on defense late in the season, Larry Coker said Hester was a quick study.

I haven't seen enough interviews of Hester to form an opinion. Other than he's probably the best open field runner on any level of football right now.

popularwar said:
I really liked him when I saw him in the bowl game. However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that he'll probably just bea wide receiver in the NFL. Then again, Mike Vick is an amazing QB...

Vince Young = Senaca Wallace

Very Similar in style of play.......

Im gonna play LB next year for Tech and Im gonna take it to him!!!! :evil:

I hope Leon Washington has another great year next year.
I wish that the fins could draft Barber or Arrington in the 3rd this year with Braylon/Smith at #2, then next year pick up Leon Washington.

I think that, barring injury, or a major meltdown, the odds on favorite for #1 overall next year has to go to Matt Leinart, of course that alslo depends on who gets the #1 overall, if San Fran drafts Alex Smith this year and manages to get the #1 next year, obviously there would be no reason for Leinart.

But, just IMO, I think I would say Leinart #1 in 06

sodenj5 said:
I think that, barring injury, or a major meltdown, the odds on favorite for #1 overall next year has to go to Matt Leinart, of course that alslo depends on who gets the #1 overall, if San Fran drafts Alex Smith this year and manages to get the #1 next year, obviously there would be no reason for Leinart.

But, just IMO, I think I would say Leinart #1 in 06

I predict D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Elite OT like that are a hot commodity.

Matt Leinart is overrated. the guy had one good season and everyone is slobbing on his knob. Carson Palmer also had one good season at USC and people did the same thing to him. look Palmer is not that good, what makes you think Leinart will be better? and i don't want to hear "palmer looked good at times just give him a chance". Big Ben did great since day one and he came from a smaller school. Payton manning also did great from day one. and they both started as rookies palmer had a year to learn.

godfater21 said:
Matt Leinart is overrated. the guy had one good season and everyone is slobbing on his knob. Carson Palmer also had one good season at USC and people did the same thing to him. look Palmer is not that good, what makes you think Leinart will be better? and i don't want to hear "palmer looked good at times just give him a chance". Big Ben did great since day one and he came from a smaller school. Payton manning also did great from day one. and they both started as rookies palmer had a year to learn.

Actually he had 2 good years, and quarterbacked the back to back defending national champions. (not to mention they lost some guy named Mike Williams for all of last year) Is Tom Brady Peyton Manning? No, not even close, but Tom Brady has 3, count them, 3 rings to Mannings 0, and the Pats stomped the Colts 2 years in a row. The point is you don't have to be the best quarterback in the NFL to win a championship, you need a good team around you, it didn't work for Marino, and it hasn't worked for Manning thus far.

Another knock on Leinart is that he's a product of Norm Chow's system, just like Palmer was. So now Leinart has a full year to prove that he's not a product of the system and he's a legit NFL caliber QB.

sodenj5 said:
Actually he had 2 good years, and quarterbacked the back to back defending national champions. (not to mention they lost some guy named Mike Williams for all of last year) Is Tom Brady Peyton Manning? No, not even close, but Tom Brady has 3, count them, 3 rings to Mannings 0, and the Pats stomped the Colts 2 years in a row. The point is you don't have to be the best quarterback in the NFL to win a championship, you need a good team around you, it didn't work for Marino, and it hasn't worked for Manning thus far.

Another knock on Leinart is that he's a product of Norm Chow's system, just like Palmer was. So now Leinart has a full year to prove that he's not a product of the system and he's a legit NFL caliber QB.

No Palmer had 1 good year and 1 championship. same as leinhart. and yes they where both products of a good USC system. and what the hell are you talking about brady and manning. in my post i mentioned how Palmer is not a good NFL QB and he sat out a year to learn. and if he was truly a good QB he could come in and get the job done. i used Manning and Big ben (who came from a smaller school) to prove that point. i never said anything out championships. Also in case you have not been whatching football Brady puts up top 5 QB numbers so he is in a class with manning.

sodenj5 said:

One more thing. championships are a team thing not a player thing. i was not saying Palmer would never win a championship, although i don't see the cinny doing anything anytime soon. Palmer may luck out like dilfer did and get with a team where the defense carries the team. what i said Palmer will never be a great QB, like Leinhart will never be a great Qb.

I'm not saying Brady isn't an elite QB, or a HOF potential QB, hes just not breaking any of Marino/Manning's records any time soon.

And, in case you didn't read, I said that football is a team sport, having an incredible QB does not guarentee you anything, you have to have the certain intangibles, and you have to be surrounded by a great team, just as Brady is in New England, just as Leinart is in USC.

If Lleinart gets drafted by, say, the Browns, I think he will undoubtedly struggle, but if a decent team trades up to draft him, or if he falls a bit in the draft, like Big Ben did, he can show first year success. Don't forget, Roethlisberger didn't take over the Bengals, he took over for the Steelers, who didn't ask him to do too much, and he was already surrounded by high caliber players on offense.

godfater21 said:
G Com Att % Yards TD Int Rating
1998 IND 16 326 575 56.7 3739 26 28 71.2

Dont get it twisted Manning was not great from the beginning, he was AVERAGE his first year, and I think the Colts went something like 4-12.

godfater21 said:
One more thing. championships are a team thing not a player thing. i was not saying Palmer would never win a championship, although i don't see the cinny doing anything anytime soon. Palmer may luck out like dilfer did and get with a team where the defense carries the team. what i said Palmer will never be a great QB, like Leinhart will never be a great Qb.
1st- Leinart has had two straight great seasons
2nd- Manning did not come into the league and do "great" like you said right off the bat. Unless you consider a 56 completion % good or 26 TD's and 28 picks good and a rating of 71 good.
3rd- you praise Manning and diss Palmer as first year starters but if you look at the stats Palmer actually had a better season (first year starters)
Manning 56% 26 Td's 28 Ints 71 rating
Palmer 61% 18 Td's 18Ints 77 rating
4th- Roethlisberger is the exception not the rule. Name the last QB to come into the league and do what he did? I'll give you the answer and its not Manning,its Marino in 1983.
5th- You say Palmer may get lucky and take the team as far as the defense carries them. Thats pretty much what Roethlisberger did last year. Yes his stats were great but he wasnt asked to do much. They had a great Defense and running game, and he was rarely playing from behind. He also wasnt asked to throw the ball down the field much. And what happened in the playoffs when the Steelers got behind and he had to make plays? Ints.
Dont get me wrong i'm not trying to discredit anything Big Ben accomplished last season. I think his season was amazing and possibly never to be done again. I also think he'll continue to improve and be one the best QB's in the league for the next 10 - 15 seasons. I also think Palmer's season last year was a lot better than you make it sound an that he'll also have a long productive career. Pretty much what i'm trying to say is that i think your arguement as to why Leinart will suck in the NFL does just that, it sucks

sodenj5 said:
I'm not saying Brady isn't an elite QB, or a HOF potential QB, hes just not breaking any of Marino/Manning's records any time soon.

And, in case you didn't read, I said that football is a team sport, having an incredible QB does not guarentee you anything, you have to have the certain intangibles, and you have to be surrounded by a great team, just as Brady is in New England, just as Leinart is in USC.

If Lleinart gets drafted by, say, the Browns, I think he will undoubtedly struggle, but if a decent team trades up to draft him, or if he falls a bit in the draft, like Big Ben did, he can show first year success. Don't forget, Roethlisberger didn't take over the Bengals, he took over for the Steelers, who didn't ask him to do too much, and he was already surrounded by high caliber players on offense.

I'm not talking about what the team will do. i'm talking about 1 player, 1 position, and what he does. also you can't say well the steelers did not ask much from Big ben thats why he did so good. Look at Eli Manning. the Giants did good with Warner. they put Manning in and when down hill. Manning even had a better running game with Barber then Big Ben did with Duce and bettis. there recieving core was about equal too with maybe a sight bit better on the steeler side. Ward being a little better than toomer. Hillard is better than Burress so it almost balances out. Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, and Matt Leinhart are going to be like Jake Plummer. all hype up to be the next great QB, and every year your going to here this is his break out year. but it just never seems to happen.

Back
Top Bottom