Playoffs Scenarios | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Playoffs Scenarios

I remember that game..

The Colts were a monumental pain in the butt throughout that Bert jones era. I don't think there has ever been greater animosity and frustration among Dolphins fans toward any single player and team.

Younger fans wouldn't realize it because the Jets are isolated for their ire. But the Colts were easily our biggest divisional rival for at least the first dozen years after the merger. As soon as we thought they were sunk after Unitas reached the end of the line, all of a sudden they find Bert Jones along with countless other stars like Lydell Mitchell and Roger Carr and the Sack Pack.

The Dolphins were no longer great after Csonka/Kiick/Warfield were gone, but still very good. That led to the frustration because we knew we could have handled Bert Jones a few years earlier, but not any more. He narrowly defeat us time and again, along with barely winning other games we needed the Colts to lose.

Then one time -- probably 1977 -- the Colts lost a home game to Detroit near the end of the season on a stunning blocked punt in the final seconds. I was listening on shortwave Armed Forces Radio. I celebrated for maybe a half hour until I tuned to the network coverage and they were saying Baltimore actually benefitted from the defeat. Unbelievable but true. There was some type of quirk in the tiebreaker rules. The Colts were going to fare better in a tie situation because of that loss. It was merely another example that the Bert Jones Colts get every break in the book, just like that New England game in 1975.

The tiebreaker rules were changed as a result of that situation involving Baltimore and Detroit.

BTW, I just looked up that 1975 season. I was wrong that the Colts/Patriots was played on Saturday. I knew Saturday was involved but it was the Dolphins rallying late to defeat Denver at home 14-13 on Saturday to finish the season 10-4 and remain alive. Then on Sunday afternoon everyone tuned in to root for New England. The Patriots were eliminated due to tiebreaker realities but that was a very young talented team with Steve Grogan and Russ Francis and Sugar Bear Hamilton, among others.

Miami really got a huge effort out of the Patriots that day. It's the reason New England was heavily respected and admired by Dolphins fans for years, even as the Patriots improved and became more of a rival also.

I remember the amazing atmosphere in the Orange Bowl late in 1977 when we defeated the nemesis Colts in a tense low scoring game, thanks largely to a long clinching touchdown run by rookie fullback Leroy Harris. It felt like such a relief.

The Bert Jones problem looked like it would linger another decade or more. But his career was shortened due to shoulder issues. Otherwise it would have overlapped the early Marino years.

That's why we should have handled our business weeks ago instead of having to rely on other teams to lose
Correct. But we didn’t. Colts game was a killer. You are right.

But I rather get help from teams and still have a chance in week 17 then play for nothing. all 6 seeds get help every year.
It wouldn’t be like Miami was the first team ever to get help. Happens every year. Steelers needed Miami to beat chargers in 2005 to make it as wc. They did and won the super bowl. We just don’t pay attention to that stuff. But if Miami got in with help many posters would be acting like we were only team in history that did and didn’t deserve it

I rather watch a meanful game then look foward to the offseason. But many posters prefer the draft and free agency to making the playoffs with some help. Each their own.

The Colts were a monumental pain in the butt throughout that Bert jones era. I don't think there has ever been greater animosity and frustration among Dolphins fans toward any single player and team.

Younger fans wouldn't realize it because the Jets are isolated for their ire. But the Colts were easily our biggest divisional rival for at least the first dozen years after the merger. As soon as we thought they were sunk after Unitas reached the end of the line, all of a sudden they find Bert Jones along with countless other stars like Lydell Mitchell and Roger Carr and the Sack Pack.

The Dolphins were no longer great after Csonka/Kiick/Warfield were gone, but still very good. That led to the frustration because we knew we could have handled Bert Jones a few years earlier, but not any more. He narrowly defeat us time and again, along with barely winning other games we needed the Colts to lose.

Then one time -- probably 1977 -- the Colts lost a home game to Detroit near the end of the season on a stunning blocked punt in the final seconds. I was listening on shortwave Armed Forces Radio. I celebrated for maybe a half hour until I tuned to the network coverage and they were saying Baltimore actually benefitted from the defeat. Unbelievable but true. There was some type of quirk in the tiebreaker rules. The Colts were going to fare better in a tie situation because of that loss. It was merely another example that the Bert Jones Colts get every break in the book, just like that New England game in 1975.

The tiebreaker rules were changed as a result of that situation involving Baltimore and Detroit.

BTW, I just looked up that 1975 season. I was wrong that the Colts/Patriots was played on Saturday. I knew Saturday was involved but it was the Dolphins rallying late to defeat Denver at home 14-13 on Saturday to finish the season 10-4 and remain alive. Then on Sunday afternoon everyone tuned in to root for New England. The Patriots were eliminated due to tiebreaker realities but that was a very young talented team with Steve Grogan and Russ Francis and Sugar Bear Hamilton, among others.

Miami really got a huge effort out of the Patriots that day. It's the reason New England was heavily respected and admired by Dolphins fans for years, even as the Patriots improved and became more of a rival also.

I remember the amazing atmosphere in the Orange Bowl late in 1977 when we defeated the nemesis Colts in a tense low scoring game, thanks largely to a long clinching touchdown run by rookie fullback Leroy Harris. It felt like such a relief.

The Bert Jones problem looked like it would linger another decade or more. But his career was shortened due to shoulder issues. Otherwise it would have overlapped the early Marino years.
sure remember Jim ‘Sugarfoot’ O’Brien.. then Linhart (check me on spell).. they were money in those early AFC days... it was better with 5 teams.. and they were our biggest rival

Simple. We need the Ravens to lose tonight. Giants beat the colts. We win our final two games. We are in. By simple I mean the understanding. The colts probably win tomorrow but it's the NFL. You never know.

Under the assumption the colts beat the Titans without mariota

Correct. But we didn’t. Colts game was a killer. You are right.

But I rather get help from teams and still have a chance in week 17 then play for nothing. all 6 seeds get help every year.
It wouldn’t be like Miami was the first team ever to get help. Happens every year. Steelers needed Miami to beat chargers in 2005 to make it as wc. They did and won the super bowl. We just don’t pay attention to that stuff. But if Miami got in with help many posters would be acting like we were only team in history that did and didn’t deserve it

I rather watch a meanful game then look foward to the offseason. But many posters prefer the draft and free agency to making the playoffs with some help. Each their own.

Colts OR pats lose tomorrow we are still alive. I see the Bills playing them tough tomorrow and honestly I will not be that shocked if Buffalo wins. All dynasties come an end, all QBs eventually get old, this could very well be the beginning of the end.

The off-season is so longggg compared to the duration of the season. If I can squeak out another meaningful game or two (possible to even be 3+) then hell yeah I'm going to cling to that hope.

I honestly do think we will be alive going into the last week. We've gotten ZERO help from any teams we needed to win in the last 2 weeks.... we are more than due to finally get some help this week. If the Colts dont lose the Pats will.

Colts OR pats lose tomorrow we are still alive. I see the Bills playing them tough tomorrow and honestly I will not be that shocked if Buffalo wins. All dynasties come an end, all QBs eventually get old, this could very well be the beginning of the end.

The off-season is so longggg compared to the duration of the season. If I can squeak out another meaningful game or two (possible to even be 3+) then hell yeah I'm going to cling to that hope.

I honestly do think we will be alive going into the last week. We've gotten ZERO help from any teams we needed to win in the last 2 weeks.... we are more than due to finally get some help this week. If the Colts dont lose the Pats will.

Hope you are right brother.
Is McCoy playing tomorrow for buffalo?

Gase blew any playoff hopes by his awful playcalling in the 4th quarter which lost the Colts game. We all knew that game would come back to bite the team in the rear and here we all seeing that wildcard spot go out the window. The only chance now is for the Dolphins to win out and the Patriots lose out which we all know isn't happening. What a disappointing season where the AFC is wide open and this coaching staff blew it.

So with the Ravens loss tonight, it looks like we're down to a couple of possible scenarios...

Division:
1.) We win out, Patriots lose out.

Wild-Card:
2.) We win out, Giants beat Colts tomorrow, (EDIT: Falcons also need to beat Panthers tomorrow) and in week 17...
Browns beat Ravens
Colts beat Titans

So with the Ravens loss tonight, it looks like we're down to a couple of possible scenarios...

Division:

Wild-Card:
2.) We win out, Giant beat Colts tomorrow, and in week 17...
Browns beat Ravens
Colts beat Titans
RIP

Division:

Wild-Card:
2.) We win out, Giant beat Colts tomorrow, and in week 17...
Browns beat Ravens
Colts beat Titans
And I think Pitt needs to win one game

Playcalling was the achilles heal this season. Thats what i will take away from it.

Back
Top Bottom