POLL: Grade Philbin and Staff | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

POLL: Grade Philbin and Staff

Grade Philbin and Staff

• Total voters
Beating some playoff teams Cincy and Seattle with the roster we had was an accomplishment.I give them a strong B.Lets see how they do when they finally get some talent !

They did a okay job overall. The inability to properly use Reggie early on is frustrating. The lack of turnovers on defense is also frustrating. Not to mention we finished with a losing record. I give them a C.

C - I give them credit for doing as well as they did with the poor talent they were given, but I saw nothing "innovative" in what they did. They started the season with a "hurry-up" offense, which was quickly discarded as it seemed to hurt more than help the team. The offense was vanilla, and we still have difficulty getting into the end-zone.

You can argue that they didn't show more because of the talent level, but then you are just guessing that they would do more with better talent. You can't just extrapolate that. You have to work off of what they showed...and they showed very little new on offense or defense.

C -- I saw nothing special, except maybe in comparison to the Sparano regime, but anyone would look better in that light. It certainly can get better, and I hope it does, but the results have to speak for themselves. Anything else is wishful thinking.

A "C" is average, average to me means at least finishing at .500. The dolphins did not, so I give them an overall grade of "D". Offense was well below average in points scored, third down efficiency, red zone efficiency, and big plays, grade "D-"; Defense was good in some areas, run defense and red zone defense (except when playing NE), but horrible in other areas, yards allowed in passing plays, generating turovers, grade C; Special teams , above average a "C+".

Last edited by a moderator:
Being juxtaposed with Sparano and his staff's ineptitude from a year ago makes even the slightest bit of competency look like a million bucks worth of improvement. Overall I really do like Philbin and his demeanor with the team. Too inconsistent this year to garner a grade anything above a C. But he has the makings to be a very solid coach. Give him some actual talent to work with and maybe we will actually be able to field a team worth seeing in January sometime

First year B. solid draft and worked the young Qb in under pressure and held up well considering.

next year the curve gets tighter though. Alot of expectations will come with all this money and picks. To obtain a B will be tough. It will require at the very least playoffs.

C - I give them credit for doing as well as they did with the poor talent they were given, but I saw nothing "innovative" in what they did. They started the season with a "hurry-up" offense, which was quickly discarded as it seemed to hurt more than help the team. The offense was vanilla, and we still have difficulty getting into the end-zone.

You can argue that they didn't show more because of the talent level, but then you are just guessing that they would do more with better talent. You can't just extrapolate that. You have to work off of what they showed...and they showed very little new on offense or defense.
This.

I say B, first off season I remain optimistic about our future since jj's early years. Very impressed with tight ends, oline, and dc coaches still a little iffy about Sherman. Coyle did very good job with our Cracker Jack defensive backs.

I was going for c, but then I realized that having to work with ireland is at least a grade bump up to b because of his questionable decisions.

Made chicken salad out of chicken ****, but still didn't produce the winning record.

Should have won those overtime games and the team came out flat for the most important game of the season against the Colts following the Jets beatdown. That's why they don't get an A from me.

However, it looks like we finally got a coach that is aware and understands how to manage a game, the clock, and situational football. Future looks good as long as we can bring them talent.

I gave them a D. I'd like to give them a higher grade, but I just can't do it.

On defense, surprisingly, they were a top red zone defense and did not give up too many points. IMO, the biggest problem on defense (even more so than the secondary) was their inability against NE to stop Welker, Woodhead, and the TEs from turning short passes and screens into big plays. Those players hurt Miami more than the NE receivers did. If Miami can't stop those plays, then winning the division is out of the question (until Brady retires).

On offense, even with the lack of playmakers, this team might have made the playoffs with just a few points more per game. I blame Sherman's lousy playcalling, poor use of personnel, and failure to gameplan to take advantage of his players' strengths for the pathetic play of the offense this season. For a team with a rookie HC and QB and no Alpha WRs, I'd like to give them a C+ or B-, but the big fat F I'm giving Sherman drops it down to a D. You'd think that with all of his experience (and his pet QB) Sherman would be able to succeed even with some rookies, but I believe that his good coaching days are behind him. In all honesty, if i had to choose between Ireland or Sherman, I'd keep Ireland. Sherman needs to retire.

I'd give them a B. With the little talent that this team had on offense, they did a pretty good job with them.

Back
Top Bottom