POLL: Grade Philbin and Staff | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

POLL: Grade Philbin and Staff

Grade Philbin and Staff

• Total voters
I graded them a C (Average) but that is because Sherman brings the grade down a good 3/4ths a letter grade on his own while Coyle brings it down about another 1/4th. Coyle did a decent job but what kills him was going conservative and switching to a zone in the 2 minutes of each half in every game after we were tearing it up playing man the other 28 minutes allowing teams to drive down the field and put points on the board. Sherman had his good moments but over did just a very bad job. Rizzi started the year on fire and cooled off a bit down the stretch but overall he did a very good job.

If we were grading individual positions, Philbin gets a B, Sherman gets a D, Coyle gets a C and Rizzi gets a B.

You're being patently unfair to Kevin Coyle. The Dolphins defense was good enough to keep the team in pretty much every game it played, despite the fact that the offense was terrible and just kept giving the ball right back to opposing teams. Coyle only had one good pass rusher to work with, a free safety he had to hide, and cornerbacks who are, to put it generously, mostly inept. For a first time defensive coordinator he did a fantastic job, IMO. He will be a hot head coaching candidate in a couple of years if he keeps this up.

I understand if you think I am being too generous to the staff of a 7-9 team, but the defense certainly wasn't the problem on the Dolphins this year.

No arguement that the defense overall was good. However he would constantly out think himself and change the defense from man to zone when man was working great. Also, did he put the players in position to create and recover turnovers? Im not sure because it is up to the player to cause a turnover however the playcaller should have players in the general vacinity to recover a turnover. Our defense was completely inept in this department. Now compare what we had in our DC from last year to this year and in my eyes we definitely downgraded the position. I liked Coyle from his days in Cincy and loved that we made him our DC, however as the season went on it seemed he had brainfarts in his playcalling. I was a bit disappointed and expected a little more out of him.

You're being patently unfair to Kevin Coyle. The Dolphins defense was good enough to keep the team in pretty much every game it played, despite the fact that the offense was terrible and just kept giving the ball right back to opposing teams. Coyle only had one good pass rusher to work with, a free safety he had to hide, and cornerbacks who are, to put it generously, mostly inept. For a first time defensive coordinator he did a fantastic job, IMO. He will be a hot head coaching candidate in a couple of years if he keeps this up.

I understand if you think I am being too generous to the staff of a 7-9 team, but the defense certainly wasn't the problem on the Dolphins this year.

Overall I give a C plus.Much like the phins Philben was not my first choice for coach but I liked him as a choice. I think he put together solid coordinators whose impact may not show up as much in their initial season. I do think Sherman will be a big upgrade over Daboll and dont think Coyle is a huge downgrade from Nolan although I rate Nolan as a better coordinator. Special teams were definately better overall. What does concern me is the three games where its like we had serious lapses from the team versus Houston, NE and Tenn. For the team to show up at NE and never even get into the game is a bigger concern for me than many. I like the things philben is saying , he seems an even keeled guy with a good football undertanding but Im far from convinced he is the guy to take us to the next level. You cannot take that away from his one season here.

A huge concern I do have about Philben is why would he allow us to trot out the group of receivers we have , he had to have some say in that area u would assume.

Solid B. Given what we had to work with, Philbin & his staff did a nice job of coaching in his first year and getting us close to .500 when many predicted we'd win 3-5 games at most. I'm glad he decided to go ahead and start Tannehill despite what many (fans and media included) thought was a bad decision. The knock would be some of the questionable playcalling offensively and the inability to close out games early in the year. Those hurt.

I gave them B. Many of the games were really close and it really wasn't that far to reach the playoffs. Of course, would the Fins have won any playoff games is a different matter, but all in all I think Philbin & Co. did pretty well for a first year.

B. I was only expecting 5 or 6 wins this year so the team achieved more than I though it would. We've got to find a way to score more points though.

7-9 desrves a "C" and no better. I want the coaches to teach players to tackle better. I want them to teach players to catch the ball, no matter what. Knowing your'e going to get hit in your peripheral view is part of the paycheck your'e getting, get the first down. Teach the players to turn upfield and run when the ball is caught. Not fall down or run out of bounds. Teach 'em to fight for every inch.
These are the things I see in Green Bay and San Fran, and naturally N.E. These players play hard, every inch, every second. This is what the coaches need to teach.

Back
Top Bottom