POLL: Grade Philbin and Staff | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

POLL: Grade Philbin and Staff

Grade Philbin and Staff

• Total voters
Anyone who thinks a staff that went 7-9 deserves more than an average grade is drinking the coolaid.... C = final answer.

Coming into the season, I thought Miami was a 5 win type team. Usually, if I make a prediction the Dolphins are 2-3 wins less than what I expected. So, needless to say, winning 7 games exceeded my expectations. For that reason, I gave the staff a B grade.

There were some blowout wins that were unexpected and some ugly games (Tennessee/Buffalo) that surprised. Overall, this team overachieved. I like what Kevin Coyle did with the defense. He got good years out of all the linebackers and a great, near pro bowl year out of Jones. With only Wake as a pass rusher, the D still managed to get pressure most of the time. Sherman didn't use Bush as well as the previous staff and was a little too predictable at times. But he didn't have much to work with in the passing game and did a good job bringing Tannehill along. I believe Philibin has the right vision, but now needs to get the right parts.

The biggest disappointment was that no tight ends broke out and we didn't have another wr emerge to help Harline and Bess. The Long injury also is hard to take since he has meant so much to the team and has been a warrior.

On the plus side, Tannehill is already looking like he could be a Phil Simms type qb with more athletic ability. He managed games pretty darn well the last part of the season. He needs help to take that next step.

Anyone who thinks a staff that went 7-9 deserves more than an average grade is drinking the coolaid.... C = final answer.

You can't do a fashion show in a leper colony. Judge them after they have a chance to coach more talent.

I voted C. Early in the season I really liked what I saw. The half time adjustments seemed to be working and Philbin seemed to be keeping us in games we should not have been in. But as the season wore on he seemed to lose the excitement of being the new coach that was going to set the league on fire and it became just a job to him.

To me the biggest game of the year was the 2nd jets game. We HAD to win that game to have any chance at the playoffs. We came out and played great inspired football. After that game I was sure we had found our coach of the future. Then the next week was the 2nd biggest game of the year. And we came out and looked like a HS team. We were never in that game mentally and were outcoached and played from the opening kickoff. I lost that feeling of being this years surprise team in that game. I don't really think the team ever really got over it.

So I am not going to say we have our coach. First year was solid, with a lot of room for improvement. But I don't see a great coach in Philbin. I don't see a man that will "will" his team to a win like what they have in San Fran. To be honest I liked Jeff Fisher and wanted him, but when Philbin came on board I really haven't thought about Fisher since then. But to be honest I think I still would have rather had Fisher, but that ship has sailed.

As much as I hate to say it I see both Ireland and Philbin gone at the end of 2013. Hope I am wrong, but I don't see a driven, passionate man that is going to carry us on his shoulders to the promise land. JMO

I gave them a C.

If Billichek was coaching the Fins or Saban was back here we would have made the playoffs. They lost 3 games that they should have won. There is no way that can be overlooked. I'm not sure that next year they will do considerably better if they couldn't get it done this year when it had to get done.

As much as I like Sherman, his playcalling was not so good. There were MANY times that the plays called had all the WR's and TEs in the same part of the field. Bush should have been used like Welker was used, he should have been a secondary WR read on EVERY PLAY. I think that alone would have opened everything up for Ryan and the O.

The Defense was very good, Philbin did a great job considering they switched to a new Offense AND defense this year.

there were a lot of things to really like and some to question.

Only game I really felt the coaching staff failed us was the Tennessee game. No excuse to get embarrassed like that.

Can't give an A because we didn't have a winning record, but there was more than enough to like

​I guess I would go with a 'B'. I am thinking that Philbin can improve in his job as well, and I believe he has a solid vision. Like many of us, the playcalling was not the best IMO.

Solid B, very pleased with what they brought out of a reasonably talented D and poorly talented O. Bar a game or two they did a great job.

I give him a B because he did well with the players he had, he is installing a good vibe here with little tolerance for troublemakers. I would have liked an incomplete option for a grade but I will go with a B based on hope.

I'd give Philbin a B I like his strictness in how he runs practice and his attention to detail and the speed they practice and the dicipline. Because the poll is the whole staff, I gave a C because I don't like the OL coach and Sherman is also a liability. He should have used Bush as a receiver more instead of giving the bs excuse of the learning the offense. Complete BS and he must think we're morons to believe that. Sherman's staff O'Keefe and Turner are 1st year NFL coordinators. Overall, I'm happy with Coyle 12 yrs exp and his D staff.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/team/coaches.html

It's difficult to grade the coaches when looking at it from the outside, because I'm just not privy to a lot of stuff that would be very useful to know.

But I would say this:

This was a 6-10 football team last year that traded away its best offensive player, traded away its best (in my opinion) cornerback on the eve of the season, and of course I have to look at what the coaching staff had to work with on the whole while evaluating their work.

Joe Philbin and crew were forced to work with a bad offensive line, a bad receiving corps, a lack of athleticism at the tight end position, a lack of pass rushers, and a lot of poor or underdeveloped players in the secondary. Faced with this, Joe still decided to start his rookie QB and get the growing pains out of the way now and set the team up for accelerated success in 2013 and beyond. Several cornerbacks were lost due to injury and the team wound up starting players at WR and CB who were picked up off the street the same week at one point. They still improved the team's record.

Look at the injuries. Long, Marshall, Carroll, Bess, Clay, Thomas all lost for the year. Burnett and Dansby were suffering from real injuries for almost the entire season. Tannehill played several games hurt. Hartline nearly died in the offseason, missed training camp, and then got hurt late in the year. I mean, these guys aren't even star players to begin with (my feelings on Jake Long well known by this point) and almost everyone agreed that this team had awful depth.

So, to keep it simple, this staff inherited a 6-10 team (3 straight losing seasons) that had just lost its best receiver and cornerback, started a rookie QB with the future in mind, lost key players due to injury down the stretch, and still improved the team's record, beating two playoff teams along the way.

I would give Joe Philbin a B at minimum for having the courage and foresight to start Ryan Tannehill. All things considered, I give the staff an A. Yes, the team's record was 7-9, but the fact is that I gave the team's General Manager a grade of F for the previous four years during which this hole was dug. Again, you take a 6-10 football team, put six games against playoff teams on the schedule, remove the best offensive player, put your new best receiver in the hospital on the brink of death during training camp, trade your best cornerback, the guy you sign to replace him gets hurt early and misses most of the season, and one of two Pro Bowl players on your roster gets hurt in training camp and stinks up the joint before going on IR late. And you improve the team's record by a game.

The coaching staff could not make chicken salad out of chicken ****, but at least they started cleaning up the mess.

I think they've done a good job with what players we have, and I like how Tannehill grew in the offense later in the year. Obviously, a lot of people are still pointing out how we're only 7-9, but considering we dumped off two of our best skill position players for draft picks (Marshall, Davis) and still surpassed last years record points to the future, which is hopefully a good one. I think if Ireland listens to Philbin's input we may actually get some good playmakers on both sides of the ball. :thumbup:

I graded them a C (Average) but that is because Sherman brings the grade down a good 3/4ths a letter grade on his own while Coyle brings it down about another 1/4th. Coyle did a decent job but what kills him was going conservative and switching to a zone in the 2 minutes of each half in every game after we were tearing it up playing man the other 28 minutes allowing teams to drive down the field and put points on the board. Sherman had his good moments but over did just a very bad job. Rizzi started the year on fire and cooled off a bit down the stretch but overall he did a very good job.

If we were grading individual positions, Philbin gets a B, Sherman gets a D, Coyle gets a C and Rizzi gets a B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom