Poll: who here wants Derrick Henry? | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: who here wants Derrick Henry?

Trade for Henry?

• Yes, F the picks, F the cap, bring in the aging star RB

Votes: 103 36.1%
  • No, find a back or backs somewhere else

Votes: 182 63.9%

• Total voters
Mach, just my opinion but I think the first line of your post is very misleading, You have to realize when defenses played the Titans they stacked the box. I mean why would you respect that Titans passing game? Now not one defense stacked the box when they played the Fins, It's almost like comparing apples and oranges.
Did they, though? I'm sure defenses conscious of Henry's abilities, but unless someone is willing to actually break down film down by down, situationally, and show that to be the case statistically, it is just a narrative that may have a kernel of truth.

Do you think opponents "stacked the box" on third and long? Second and long? What percentage? Obviously they didn't do it all game, every game, so how much of a factor was it? Some? Sure. As much of a factor as you and others purport? IDK about that. Did they do it on first and ten? Probably moreso than league average. Beyond that? Prove it. I have an open mind if an argument can be supported by data.

Would it surprise ppl that Tennessee had 4.4 yards per carry, while Miami had 4.3, with a much lower rated Online? That a whopping .1 yard difference.

Explain to me again how Henry puts us over the top........

Henry amasses big stats because of the high volume of touches. While stats can be misleading at times, this one's pretty basic.

If you think McD should run more, that's one thing, but bringing DH in is likely not going to make a huge statistical difference.

If you want a big "power back", that's understandable situationally as well, but we don't, necessarily, need to spend 16m, and give away draft picks to accomplish that either.

Look, DH is a good back, arguably the best on average of recent seasons as an individual player. The analytics of the situation, however, do not indicate, to me at least, that the benefit is worth the cost.

Convince me otherwise with statistics and facts, rather than hyperbole.
Geez mock 2 - We’re only taking Henry if he comes to us for 6 million and a second or third… Sheesh, wanna talk about hyperbole. 👑

Did they, though? I'm sure defenses conscious of Henry's abilities, but unless someone is willing to actually break down film down by down, situationally, and show that to be the case statistically, it is just a narrative that may have a kernel of truth.

Do you think opponents "stacked the box" on third and long? Second and long? What percentage? Obviously they didn't do it all game, every game, so how much of a factor was it? Some? Sure. As much of a factor as you and others purport? IDK about that. Did they do it on first and ten? Probably moreso than league average. Beyond that? Prove it. I have an open mind if an argument can be supported by data.
We can’t want Henry unless we break down film? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
🎃👑🇨🇦🤠🙌

1) As far tOsu goes, will all that talent they pump into the NFL, how many Cships have they won in the BCS & playoff era?

2) Personal Agenda/opinion on an internet chat board? Really? What are the odds?

3) Urban Meyer is hardly a good judge of character. A married man who cavorts w/ Co-eds & recruited Aaron H.
I wanna cavort with co-Ed’s… Right ****in now! 🧜‍♀️

Geez mock 2 - We’re only taking Henry if he comes to us for 6 million and a second or third… Sheesh, wanna talk about hyperbole. 👑
We aren't taking him at all, unless you have info that I missed?

What, in my post was hyperbole?

5+ ypa you say? That's a pretty lofty expectation given the difficulty of the achievement of doing that as a workhorse back, getting 300+ carries.
Yeah! Henry’s yards’ll stay da same and his carries will decrease! Do the math Mock 2! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 🤖

Hime gettin hangry! 🎃

We can’t want Henry unless we break down film? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
🎃👑🇨🇦🤠🙌
You can "want him" all you like.

That's completely different than making statements as fact, or overstating reality, to make a point for which there is no supporting evidence.

You don't "have to" break down film, look at statistics, understand salary cap implications, or even know that much about the game to be a fan. However, if you want to have educated debates about the subject of player acquisitions, value, etc. it helps to do the research, rather than throwing out rhetoric and parroting narratives.

As I have said before, different ppl have differing interests in the game. Some are stat nerds, some are amateur capologist, some are rah rah guys. No problem with any level, It's broad, and as I see it, unsupported claims stated as fact that I take issue with, and I question them when I see them because maybe there is evidence that I have overlooked and I may learn something from the exchange.

I know I sometimes come off as argumentative. So be it. If that's the price I pay for good, rational talk about the realities of my favorite team, I can live with it.

That's completely different than making statements as fact, or overstating reality, to make a point for which there is no supporting evidence.

You don't "have to" break down film, look at statistics, understand salary cap implications, or even know that much about the game to be a fan. However, if you want to have educated debates about the subject of player acquisitions, value, etc. it helps to do the research, rather than throwing out rhetoric and parroting narratives.

As I have said before, different ppl have differing interests in the game. Some are stat nerds, some are amateur capologist, some are rah rah guys. No problem with any level, It's broad, and as I see it, unsupported claims stated as fact that I take issue with, and I question them when I see them because maybe there is evidence that I have overlooked and I may learn something from the exchange.

I know I sometimes come off as argumentative. So be it. If that's the price I pay for good, rational talk about the realities of my favorite team, I can live with it.
So I take it you’re not gonna change your vote back? Humph.

Hey I got an idea mark two… Go back to the vote… Change it… And then figure out a good argument for doing it! 👑. Us Henry lovers will welcome you with open arms!

So let me toss my hat in the ring here a moment.

I’ve been debating this for some time. I’m a huge fan of Henry, but his workload scares the bejeezus out of me.

I thought Henry would die LAST year. He didn’t. He seems, by most accounts, to be a freak athlete that standard RB rules don’t apply to.

There are two assumptions being made about “Henry to the Dolphins” that I’m not sure are true.

Assumption #1: Henry has to be a workhorse back.

Does he really? Shanahan offenses in general are RBBC. Acquiring Henry does NOT mean he instantly gets 300 carries.

Imagine if Henry only got 150 carries during the season, and was fresh for a playoff game against Buffalo.

Assumption #2: Tennessee won’t come down on their asking price for Henry.

That team is gearing up for a rebuild. I’m baffled as to why Tannehill is still on their roster.

At some point, they’re gonna have to cut bait on Henry or pay him his full 2023 salary.

So I guess my question becomes this: If you’re willing to concede that Henry on Miami HELPS the Dolphins in 2023, what price are you willing to pay?

He’s got one year left on his contract. It not like he’d cripple the Dolphins long-term.

Damn Mach, I doubt the NFL even keeps the stats you are asking for. I am just simply stating you can't compare Henry against the Fins back. Teams are mostly going to play the Titans to stop Henry, where as teams that play the Fins are mostly going to try and stop Hill and Waddle. It's not rocket science,

So let me toss my hat in the ring here a moment.

I’ve been debating this for some time. I’m a huge fan of Henry, but his workload scares the bejeezus out of me.

I thought Henry would die LAST year. He didn’t. He seems, by most accounts, to be a freak athlete that standard RB rules don’t apply to.

There are two assumptions being made about “Henry to the Dolphins” that I’m not sure are true.

Assumption #1: Henry has to be a workhorse back.

Does he really? Shanahan offenses in general are RBBC. Acquiring Henry does NOT mean he instantly gets 300 carries.

Imagine if Henry only got 150 carries during the season, and was fresh for a playoff game against Buffalo.

Assumption #2: Tennessee won’t come down on their asking price for Henry.

That team is gearing up for a rebuild. I’m baffled as to why Tannehill is still on their roster.

At some point, they’re gonna have to cut bait on Henry or pay him his full 2023 salary.

So I guess my question becomes this: If you’re willing to concede that Henry on Miami HELPS the Dolphins in 2023, what price are you willing to pay?

He’s got one year left on his contract. It not like he’d cripple the Dolphins long-term.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying here, The main factor is if Henry comes here he won't be even close to 300 carries. With Mosert and Wilson to spell him I doubt he would even get 150. He would be extremely fresh for the playoffs and I believe this would give us a huge edge, Look at San Francisco, they are going to use this strategy with CMC. You have Mitchell, and Debo to spell him on run plays with Debo, Ayuck, and Kittle to catch passes. It;s hard to defend and CMC doesn't have to be a workhorse running back.

I found this on Next Gen Stats.

"Next Generation Stats (aka Next Gen Stats) tracks numerous data points to enhance our understanding of both the style and tendencies of a Running Back. Fans can sort through categories such as Efficiency, % of Attempts vs. 8+ Defenders in the Box, and Avg. Time Behind the Line of Scrimmage.

In 2022...

Derrick Henry was 2nd in this category with 38.11% of his runs going against a "stacked box."

Raheem Mostert was 44th in this category with 12.15% of his runs going against a "stacked box."

Henry had 349 total attempts with a 4.4 yd avg.
Mostert had 181 total attempts with a 4.9 yd avg.

Jeff Wilson had 84 total attempts. Next Gen required 90 attempts.

Back
Top Bottom