Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin?

Would you give up a 1st & 3rd Round Pick for Miles Austin

• Total voters
Hell no are u crazy?!?! A first and a 3rd for miles austin? One year wonder. Nah man we have too many holes to fill to spend 2 picks on one guy

I said no only because I think we should use our 1st on a defender, not an offensive player. But given the choice of Bryant at 12 or a 1st and 3rd for Austin, I would take Austin

I'd at least try and hard ball them a little and offer just the 1st, with the justification being that it is a high 1st (12th pick). Also point out they can trade down, and pick up an additional 3rd, maybe even a second depending on how far down they go and who is available at their pick. Even still, I think it would be worth a 1st and 3rd.

I personally would not give up a number 12 pick in draft for a guy that has performed at a high level for one year out of 4

I think it would be easier to acquire Vincent Jackson. Maybe a lot easier. The owner of the Chargers has admitted openly he is suffering from dementia.

It's a family business and one of his sons is running the business but I'm not so sure the Chargers are stable enough to match a huge offer.

There is still a lot of talk about a move to Los Angeles, and who knows what will happen when the great AG Spanos passes on.

Remember these huge front loaded contracts that we can expect to see offered to RFA's this off season are going to come at a very high cost to the owners. In fact, you could almost say, things are going to get personal. When asking a guy to dig that deep into his pockets, even if his pockets are enormous, it is going to touch his soul as well.

I prefer Jackson because of his size and speed combination but I also believe he is going to play at a high level for many years, maybe even deep into his thirties.
I also like the fact that Vinnie is a highly intelligent fellow and won't have any problem picking up a new system right away.

I'd take Ausin in a heartbeat for a 1st and a 3rd. However, that looks like a really messy deal.

I really hope we see some of these attempts. They are very interesting, and a real test for owners and GM's.

C'mon, bring it on, make em squirm.

I think it would be easier to acquire Vincent Jackson. Maybe a lot easier. The owner of the Chargers has admitted openly he is suffering from dementia.

It's a family business and one of his sons is running the business but I'm not so sure the Chargers are stable enough to match a huge offer.

There is still a lot of talk about a move to Los Angeles, and who knows what will happen when the great AG Spanos passes on.

Remember these huge front loaded contracts that we can expect to see offered to RFA's this off season are going to come at a very high cost to the owners. In fact, you could almost say, things are going to get personal. When asking a guy to dig that deep into his pockets, even if his pockets are enormous, it is going to touch his soul as well.

I prefer Jackson because of his size and speed combination but I also believe he is going to play at a high level for many years, maybe even deep into his thirties.
I also like the fact that Vinnie is a highly intelligent fellow and won't have any problem picking up a new system right away.

I'd take Ausin in a heartbeat for a 1st and a 3rd. However, that looks like a really messy deal.

I really hope we see some of these attempts. They are very interesting, and a real test for owners and GM's.

C'mon, bring it on, make em squirm.

Hell of a post. Very well stated. I like your reasoning on this one. If what you say is true about the Chargers organization, I think you're absolutely right. It would be extremely difficult to pull a Miles Austin out of Dallas. I think he would give Jerry the chance to match anything even before he signed an offer sheet with another team. But if money is that much an issue for the Chargers, then Vincent Jackson could indeed be a guy that could be acquired.

so has Ted Ginn so do u think anyone wants to give up a 1st and 3rd.
Would rather trade for Sidney Rice the receiver we should have drafted instead of Ginn
I don't seem to recall this monster year Ted Ginn had.

I just can't understand why a 1st and a 3rd is so bad for Austin. You know he has shown he can be the guy teams fear and plan around. Why spend a first on a WR in the draft when you know nothing about him and he in all likelihood won't make an immediate impact? Plus you have the uncapped year. We can sign Dansby and other player we need.

If Austin was in the draft this year, knowing what we know now, I have no doubt in my mind that 75% of this board would trade a third to move up and take him. Whats the difference?

Any one establish reciever would make our current core better. We cant just bring in an average guy with a group of average or below average receivers.

Cowboys beat writer Todd Archer believes Dolphins president Bill Parcells will steer clear of restricted free agent Miles Austin because of his loyalty to Jerry Jones.
Archer astutely points out that Parcells' poaching of Curtis Martin from the Pats was a byproduct of ill-will between the Tuna and Pats owner Robert Kraft. Parcells is three years removed from Dallas, though, and pursuing an NFL free agent isn't exactly crossing a line on loyalty. Still, the Cowboys will match all offers for Austin.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...news.asp?sport=NFL&id=4059&line=167841&spln=1

Archer is probably right. In order to poach Austin there would have to end up some nasty poison pill clause in the contract offer and it will just be ugly, Jones will not appreciate it and I think Parcells has too much respect to do it.

I don't seem to recall this monster year Ted Ginn had.

I just can't understand why a 1st and a 3rd is so bad for Austin. You know he has shown he can be the guy teams fear and plan around. Why spend a first on a WR in the draft when you know nothing about him and he in all likelihood won't make an immediate impact? Plus you have the uncapped year. We can sign Dansby and other player we need.

If Austin was in the draft this year, knowing what we know now, I have no doubt in my mind that 75% of this board would trade a third to move up and take him. Whats the difference?
The difference is, miami is more than 1 WR away from being a contender. Sure, miami COULD get dansby, COULD get rolle, COULD get wilfork. Only problem is, we don't know if any of those would happen. So if miami were to give up a 1st and 3rd for a WR, and none of those other's happened, then miami will be hurting pretty bad in the draft.

I need more then 1 year of production to invest that much.

And even then.....NO!!! There are going to be other options. Bryant, Boldin, Burleson, etc. Then there is the draft. A one and a third is way overpriced.

And even then.....NO!!! There are going to be other options. Bryant, Boldin, Burleson, etc. Then there is the draft. A one and a third is way overpriced.

Other options perhaps, but the question here is are they BETTER options?

People are putting way too much into the fact that Austin really didn't burst onto the scene until this year. Coming into the draft, Austin was considered a long term project. He wasn't expected to be an immediate impact player, but the Cowboys saw something in him worth waiting for.

He started to get more looks towards the end of last season.. In that time, he showed enough for Dallas to let Terrell Owens go.

Anyone who don't think he'd be an upgrade to Miami needs to look at his numbers.. The guy put up 1,320 yards and 11 TD, good for a 16.3 YPC average.. He did this in 9 games as a starter.. Nine. Plus, he's only 25.. He's only going to go up from here.

Not when we have so many holes. I wouldn't even give up that much for Boldin.

Not when we have so many holes. I wouldn't even give up that much for Boldin.

You say that like Boldin is even a consideration for that kind of compensation.

As for Miles Austin - I'd do it for our 12th pick in the draft for sure... throw in a third and I'd have to think long and hard about that one.

Back
Top Bottom