Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Poll: Would you Give a 1st & 3rd for Miles Austin?

Would you give up a 1st & 3rd Round Pick for Miles Austin

• Total voters
Calling him a proven stud was a stretch on my part, but he is certainly somewhat proven. He put up a monster year and displayed some pretty amazing skills. He has proved a lot more than any receiver in the upcoming draft class.
he is "Somewhat proven" for having one good year out of 4 years in the pro's. you dont give a 1st and a 3rd for some one who is "somewhat Proven". havnt you every heard of one year wounders. im not saying he is going to be one because he does have skill but i there is no way in hell i would give up a first and a thrid for someone who has had one good year.

Calling him a proven stud was a stretch on my part, but he is certainly somewhat proven. He put up a monster year and displayed some pretty amazing skills. He has proved a lot more than any receiver in the upcoming draft class.

so has Ted Ginn so do u think anyone wants to give up a 1st and 3rd.
Would rather trade for Sidney Rice the receiver we should have drafted instead of Ginn

I would give next year's first rounder and this year's third for him. And make it a protected 1st rounder. I'd say an incentive-laden one. If he repeats this year's performance, then it's a first rounder, if not, then it's only a 2nd or 3rd.

He's Parcells boy, and as long as Parcells sticks around, he should have the ability to watch him succeed here in Miami. I'd be just fine with it. He has proven he can be successful in this league, and while I love Dez Bryant, he hasn't proven anything yet. I'll take my chances and roll the dice with Austin. He's a good kid, gives max effort, and will no doubt play at the highest level knowing the "Tuna" will be watching over him.

I would give next year's first rounder and this year's third for him. And make it a protected 1st rounder. I'd say an incentive-laden one. If he repeats this year's performance, then it's a first rounder, if not, then it's only a 2nd or 3rd.

He's Parcells boy, and as long as Parcells sticks around, he should have the ability to watch him succeed here in Miami. I'd be just fine with it. He has proven he can be successful in this league, and while I love Dez Bryant, he hasn't proven anything yet. I'll take my chances and roll the dice with Austin. He's a good kid, gives max effort, and will no doubt play at the highest level knowing the "Tuna" will be watching over him.

He has proven he can be successful last year. Im sure the Bucs fan were excited when they signed Alvin Harper and he never did jack for them. I still think we can get a more proven receiver cheaper than a 1st and a third. That same thought process would have led to aquiring Peerless Price in 2002 and we all know he was not worth a 1st and a 3rd

He has proven he can be successful last year. Im sure the Bucs fan were excited when they signed Alvin Harper and he never did jack for them. I still think we can get a more proven receiver cheaper than a 1st and a third. That same thought process would have led to aquiring Peerless Price in 2002 and we all know he was not worth a 1st and a 3rd

I am sorry, when has Alvin Harper EVER been successful? Also, Peerless Price had Eric Moulds to draw away attention. Roy Williams doesn't scare anyone, he will rarely if ever draw double teams.

I am sorry, when has Alvin Harper EVER been successful? Also, Peerless Price had Eric Moulds to draw away attention. Roy Williams doesn't scare anyone, he will rarely if ever draw double teams.

Witten does scare people, he's Dallas' #1 receiver..

You know who scared people? Miles Austin, after he broke out in his first ever start with 250 receiving yards and 2 TDs on 10 receptions.

After that, when teams faced the Cowboys, they were asking themselves how they were going to stop Miles Austin.

And for the few stubborn and/or stupid teams that weren't, they caught up as soon as he followed up that ridiculous performance with a similarly ridiculous 6 catches for 171 yards and 2 more TDs.

From that point on, Jason Witten be damned, everyone was worried about Miles Austin.

And he still caught for 934 more yards and 7 more TDs over the next 12 games.

That's true, but so does Dallas Clark (Reggie Wayne), Owen Daniels (Andre Johnson), Antonio Gates (Vincent Jackson)....

None of the guys you just mentioned are the QB's #1 target, although they are elite TE's.

Witten is.

Would much rather just draft Dez Bryant instead of giving up two high draft picks. One year of suceess out of a 4 year vet does not warrent two high picks and a fat contract.

Would much rather just draft Dez Bryant instead of giving up two high draft picks. One year of suceess out of a 4 year vet does not warrent two high picks and a fat contract.

I'd at least try and hard ball them a little and offer just the 1st, with the justification being that it is a high 1st (12th pick). Also point out they can trade down, and pick up an additional 3rd, maybe even a second depending on how far down they go and who is available at their pick. Even still, I think it would be worth a 1st and 3rd.

This would be a hostile acquisition. Jerry Jones has already stated that Miles Austin will play for Dallas next year and nobody else. The RFA tag leaves the possibility open for Miami to engage in hostile poison pill tactics, but Miles Austin has to go along with it and right now if he's convinced that Dallas is committed to getting him a great long term contract, then I doubt he'd go along with the idea of a hostile RFA contract complete with poison pill clauses.

It would take a 1st and 3rd.

I just don't see this one year wonder argument. The guy looked like a very promising receiver even beforet his year and a few teams (Jets, Dolphins) would have strongly considered trading a 2nd round pick for him as an RFA. And that was BEFORE he broke out. So you can't tell me that this guy just came from nowhere.

I mean, you guys can come at me talking about Antonio Bryant, Braylon Edwards, Lee Evans, Chris Chambers and Drew Bennett.

None of those guys seem like appropriate comparisons. First off, Bryant, Edwards and Evans are all really talented players. If they haven't produced much of late it's because of the offenses they're mired in. With Braylon one big issue is a lack of commitment that people knew about even while he was having a breakout year. Antonio Bryant has similarly stood in his own way during his career, until he broke out, and right now the biggest reason he's not producing isn't attitude it's the fact that he had crap throwing him the ball in a tragic offense that fired its own offensive coordinator before the season even started. As for Lee Evans, he's absolutely a top quality guy. Give him some stability and ability at the QB position and I have no doubt he plays well on Sundays.

As for Chris Chambers, he was a perennial underachiever before he finally broke out and had a nice year. That's a fair bit different from a Mile Austin.

Drew Bennett is a more apt comparison. I would offer a few more, one being Germane Crowell, another being David Boston. But the big reason why Germane Crowell never followed up his ridiculous 1999 campaign is because of some big injuries. As for Drew Bennett, Miles Austin has a whole lot more physical ability than Drew. Physical ability is risk control, when it comes to guys that are potential one-year wonders. David Boston had physical ability, but similar to guys like Antonio Bryant and Braylon Edwards, attitude was a huge question mark and commitment to football as opposed to other things made him a high risk player. With Braylon Edwards one wonders if he wouldn't rather just be a male model and celeb and not play football at all. With David Boston, it was obvious he wanted to be a body builder, which was not conducive to being a good WR.

I'm not normally a proponent of offering 1st and 3rd round picks for anyone. But the bottom line is this is a poor draft for offense, and this is an uncapped year. That changes things. You can't sit here and pretend it doesn't change anything.

The Dolphins have let opportunity slip by them for a long time now, because they seem to always be convinced it's too risky on one basis or another. If you don't have talent, you're not going to do any better than what they did in 2008 and 2009. The main differences will be in scheduling, which will dictate whether we're a playoff pretender or a team just below .500.

That's debatable. Both went back and forth on who had more receptions weekly. Also we don't know when defenses finally realized Roy Williams couldn't catch anything.

What we know is starting in Week 4 it seems Dallas made more of an effort to throw the ball to Miles Austin. He was thrown the ball 132 times from Week 4 through the end of the playoffs. During that span, Jason Witten was thrown the ball 115 times.

I don't think defenses were EVER scared of Roy Williams. He'd already been there a year and all he did was underperform.

Back
Top Bottom