Post June 1st Cuts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post June 1st Cuts

"On May 3, the league announced to teams that they were able to process signings and other roster decisions as if they were post-June 1 moves". Stole that from a Barnwell article on espn. So at least this year, May 3rd is the new June 1st.

Jaylon Smith is a veteran(4+ years exp) and not subject to waivers. If he is cut, his contract is void.

That being said, Smith being cut is unlikely as his base salary has been guaranteed for this year. The Cowboys would be on the hook for his salary+prorated bonus if cut pre or post june 1st.
They could trade him, but no team wants that cap hit with his sorry *** play.

Yes. Can designate them as a June 1st in March for example.
Just won't receive the cap benefits for the cut till June 1st.
Only significance is the cap space finally clears the bank lol.

For the Jaylon Smith scenario, Dallas could of designated JS as a June 1st cut within the first 5 days of the new season and not be on the hook for his base salary if cut. They didn't and on the 5th day his base became guaranteed.
He just changed his jersey to #9 which was Romo. He's gone for sure!!! LOL!!

He just changed his jersey to #9 which was Romo. He's gone for sure!!! LOL!!

Yea, he paid mid 6 figures to switch to #9. (Had to buy out the remaining #54 jerseys)
Not the brightest move to make when the team just drafted two linebackers cause of your sorry play.

If we sign a pass rusher, someone will have to go. We have enough money to sign our rookies (barely), but we'll only have about 500K left after that.
You seem like the guy with the knowledge: How much cap do we have right now and many draft picks are left to sign?

Thanks

Yea, he paid mid 6 figures to switch to #9. (Had to buy out the remaining #54 jerseys)
Not the brightest move to make when the team just drafted two linebackers cause of your sorry play.
I think the Cowboys have more of an issue with his salary than his play. I think he's the 5th or 6th highest paid linebacker in the league. From a production standpoint, I doubt many teams would mind having him on the roster if his pay was considerably lower. Over the past two seasons Smith has averaged 150 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int. I for one would love him in Miami. Either Baker and McKinney, Smith and McKinney or Smith and Baker would make a nice pair of inside backers for the Dolphins. I'm not saying Smith is an elite backer, but if he's you starter, I doubt half the NFL teams have a better player in his spot.

Last edited:
I think the Cowboys have more of an issue with his salary than his play. I think he's the 5th or 65th highest paid linebacker in the league. From a production standpoint, I doubt many teams would mind having him on the roster if his pay was considerably lower. Over the past two seasons Smith has averaged 150 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int. I for one would love him in Miami. Either Baker and McKinney, Smith and McKinney or Smith and Baker would make a nice pair of inside backers for the Dolphins. I'm not saying Smith is an elite backer, but if he's you starter, I doubt half the NFL teams have a better player in his spot.
Excellent points. Not a superstar, but a serviceable LB.

I don't think Smith is going anywhere. Lee just retired. Vander Esch will likely be gone next year. For a guy that had a horrific knee injury to end his college career, he has proven to be remarkably durable.

Last edited:
They also said Waddle and Holland will compete for return duties. Rip grant

You seem like the guy with the knowledge: How much cap do we have right now and many draft picks are left to sign?

Thanks
From my understanding (and I'm wrong a lot), after we sign our draft choices, we'll have about 540K left.

So... if we sign Ingram (or someone of his stature), we'll likely have to release someone who makes a few bucks... maybe a Fegedelem or Grant... Wilson maybe.

Or we could restructure someone, but a cut would be necessary anyway, we are at 91 players right now (the max).

I think the Dolphin staff is working overtime leaving no stone (player) unturned. I think they know we have an up and coming division plus that Buffalo chip has to be taken off our shoulders. First time long time I believe they'll do the right thing, don't have to bat 1000, just get close, more hits than strikeouts.

We don't need Julio, Smith, Hooker, Smith are worth giving a look plus there will be many more.
I know they had Hooker in for a look. But I assume that's not happening.

Smith would be really interesting.

They also said Waddle and Holland will compete for return duties. Rip grant
Not that we want to lose either of those guys to injury, but do we really have anyone to replace Holland? Jones seems more of a SS. Waddle gives you the more dynamic returner and we do have a lot of depth there at least until we start filling up the injury report with the usual suspects.

Back
Top Bottom