Post your reaction: We draft an OT in the first round. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post your reaction: We draft an OT in the first round.

If its an awesome guard that can also play tackle and possibly center?...no problem.

We need that kind of versatility with Pouncey and his injury history.

I'm all for improving the defense...but I damn sure don't want to see another season of poor O-line play and Tannehill getting abused.

I see protecting Tannehill as priority one.

If he was Aaron Rodgers then yes, but he's not and I wouldn't say he's the focal point of our offense. If we are going to win a superbowl with Tannehill, hes going to need a much better defense. We have failed to address the defense for too long via draft.

Last year they said their top pick would be a starter...this year i dont recall hearing that from them...

Hmmm rotational de

With a roster like ours and not getting a player not capable of being a starter does not shine well on our GM. Yea we need a DE etc I agree but thats lowering the bar.

My reaction would depend upon the player, who else is available and whether we had any decent offers to trade down.

Personally, I'm hoping we draft an edge rusher at 22. Someone like TJ Watt isn't the popular choice but I think he will be an excellent player. Sam early then DE on obvious passing downs.

But there are a lot of good defenders who will be available, and I'd be happy with most of them.

If the pick is Forrest Lamp, I'm good with that too, because he is exceptional at a position of extreme need.

But if it is Garrett Bolles, a legit OT rather than OG, I'll be very disappointed.

I've been banging the table for competent OL for years, but in round 1 of this draft, there is just too much talent at other positions to justify any OL except Lamp.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

uk_dolfan said:
not much point in doing this if the D collapses every week

:confused::bobdole:

Last year they said their top pick would be a starter...this year i dont recall hearing that from them...

Hmmm rotational de

If you believe what they're pitching as the philosophy....it's going to be BPA in rounds 1 and 2.

“For us, it’s really guys who love to compete and love football,” he said. “Nowadays, with the money and what the kids are getting paid, you see a lot of these juniors leaving school early. A lot of times now you’re not sure if it’s the right reason why they’re leaving.

By the time the draft arrives, the actual selections are fairly simple. Grier has the players prioritized, and the pick is mostly determined by what the teams ahead of the Dolphins do. As their slot approaches, the team has a list of five players it wants and some of those disappear in the preceding picks.

“It figures itself out,” Gase said. “It’s really kind of easy. If anybody makes it out to be more than that, they’re full of it.”

The trio of Gase, Grier and Tannenbaum consider positions of need, but their picks in the first two rounds — Nos. 22 and 54 overall this year — are so valuable that they are compelled to take the best player available. If it comes down to two similar prospects and one would fill a key spot, obviously that player gets the nod.

“They all want to get to that second contact, but for us, that’s not important. We want to hear, ‘I love football. This is what I want to do.’ It’s really that and football intelligence.

“Especially in the first two rounds, I think you always have to take the best player,” Grier said. “That wasn’t our No. 1 need because we had (Branden Albert), but we can’t pass on this guy.”

Blake the great said:
How does that not make sense?
Have you not seen our defense collapse at the end of so many games since Tannehill has been here?

It makes no sense because during the win streak, the defense was fine...they didn't collapse at the end of games then.

Why was that?

If we sign a OT first overall, I hope he's better than James and we move James inside to RG. I hope we go DE, but just get a great player.

If you believe what they're pitching as the philosophy....it's going to be BPA in rounds 1 and 2.

I don't believe it

if that was the case they wouldn't have told teams last year they can't trade their 2nd rounder cause they need it for a corner to go up and get myles jack when they were trying to trade up for him

I don't believe it for a second...it's a nice thing to say but it rarely truly works that way...there's a reason that teams needs seem to get filled in the draft and it's not he's the top player on the board...unless you got gas masks videos

Considering our guard situation and the need at the position, I wouldn't mind Lamp.

But I would much rather we focused on getting a stud defensive player for our front seven.

I agree with those who say that if Lamp is there at 22 and we select him, it will be the sort of pick that falls under "BPA" and he would be a day one starter as a guard. I wouldn't freak out over that. Obviously, if you draft a guard at #22, you are drafting him with the expectation that he's challenging for All-Pro status for many years to come. So if he winds up merely being an "OK" type of player rather than an All-Pro, the reaction will come much later on down the road.

That said, I think it is highly unlikely that we draft OL with pick #22. Armando has been emphatic that we will not draft OL in the first two rounds, and he has actually had some pretty accurate predictions about our draft.

Back
Top Bottom