Predict our 1st Round Pick | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Predict our 1st Round Pick

I hope you’re wrong BUT in 5 years how many starting players has Grier drafted later than 21? I think only Hunt and Holland 😬
Plenty of starters can be counted(considering we've had so few picks).. unfortunately most are elsewhere.
The draft is definitely important and landing with the picks helps a bunch.. and every now and then we even get an udfa that sticks. It isn't the only avenue to good players though. This offseason should show how well the FO has pivoted w/minimal $ and made prudent decisions when necessary(that they put themselves in).
I'm not saying they haven't struck out on FA's in the past(eli apple), but it's been a deep well to tap and has helped us right the ship with the new era actually giving some hope. Still a few FA's potentially available post-draft to fill holes too.

Latu.

The top T fits will be gone. He fits a need at a premium position. There's a connection with our coaching staff and they've met with him a couple of times, even took him out to dinner.
I really doubt Latu will be there at 21. The more I’ve done some digging into the top pass rushers, the more convinced I have become that he is the number one edge rusher in this draft, and I have started to hear that from some of the so called insiders also. The only thing I guess that could cause him to slide a little is his injury history, but elite pass rushers normally do not slide too far.

if this is the way our team feels too about Mims then drafting him would make no sense

The only one that fits your criteria that is likely to be on the board at 21 would be Jordan Morgan. I would be happy with him or any of the tackles that could play left tackle even if they couldn’t play guard.

I really doubt Latu will be there at 21. The more I’ve done some digging into the top pass rushers, the more convinced I have become that he is the number one edge rusher in this draft, and I have started to hear that from some of the so called insiders also. The only thing I guess that could cause him to slide a little is his injury history, but elite pass rushers normally do not slide too far.
While I think he should be the top pass rusher, many teams fall for the underwear Olympics. His testing numbers are below the other two candidates. That plus the injury history, which could take him off some boards entirely, are why I think he has a chance to slide.

Limited route tree, lack of separation.
Madness. Those may be his areas of "opportunity' but it's not like he is anything less than solid in those areas.

Give one of those guys with F in their last name.
We do need a name for the 3 of them... the F-Bombs. Let's call them the F-Bombs
April 20 90S GIF

Nick Offerman Laughing GIF

Madness. Those may be his areas of "opportunity' but it's not like he is anything less than solid in those areas.
The limited route tree could be a lack of opportunity. I don't know if he was poor at them or if they didn't call any. But the struggles with separation are on film. He is less than "solid" there. You can tell yourself "it's not important" or that he can develop, but the fact of the matter is, he's not good or even solid there now.

The limited route tree could be a lack of opportunity. I don't know if he was poor at them or if they didn't call any. But the struggles with separation are on film. He is less than "solid" there. You can tell yourself "it's not important" or that he can develop, but the fact of the matter is, he's not good or even solid there now.
He has a couple of steps on dbs on all his deep catches. I actually see it the other way around, sure he's tall, but he doesn't have a lot of tape on contested catches.

He has a couple of steps on dbs on all his deep catches. I actually see it the other way around, sure he's tall, but he doesn't have a lot of tape on contested catches.
But it's only on 9 routes. That's the problem. He's not going to just out run everybody in the pros. In my experience, the guys that succeed at WR tend to be really good route runners that can separate b/c of it. The guys that struggle are the guys that got by in college due to just being bigger, faster or stronger. When that advantage goes away, they're no longer special. I liked hearing that he seemed to have a good football IQ, b/c he's going to have to develop as a football player to succeed. He's not just going to get by on 9 routes. But that development is always a risk. A risk I'm hoping a team other than Miami takes.

But it's only on 9 routes. That's the problem. He's not going to just out run everybody in the pros. In my experience, the guys that succeed at WR tend to be really good route runners that can separate b/c of it. The guys that struggle are the guys that got by in college due to just being bigger, faster or stronger. When that advantage goes away, they're no longer special. I liked hearing that he seemed to have a good football IQ, b/c he's going to have to develop as a football player to succeed. He's not just going to get by on 9 routes. But that development is always a risk. A risk I'm hoping a team other than Miami takes.
I would have no problem letting him run simple deep routes considering what our other 2 guys can do.

At least he's decent off the jam. Good first step. Explosive.

Strong hands against the jam.

I would have no problem letting him run simple deep routes considering what our other 2 guys can do.

At least he's decent off the jam. Good first step. Explosive.

Strong hands against the jam.
I think that was the plan with Robbie Chosen, but a guy with a limited route tree wasn't all that effective. Thomas would have to be more than that for me to be happy we used a 1st round pick on him. I have Legette rated above Thomas.

Back
Top Bottom