Prediction: Miami Deals Up For Haskins | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prediction: Miami Deals Up For Haskins

No, that's not how it is. This is how it is.

1. You never tank. Every year the goal is to win the SB. Nothing less. You are paying the roster $180 million a year to perform, there are professional expectation on the line, players play 4-8 years in a career, you cannot waste years. There is urgency and diligence required to act now.

I think that's a pretty myopic view. The goal is to win the Super Bowl, and it doesn't matter if it takes one year or multiple years as long as you get there. That urgency to "act now" is why we're where we are in the first place; always thinking we're a couple players away from making a run.

Can you find an elite quarterback in the middle rounds? Sure you can, but it isn't your best chance to find one which is why you're still referencing Wilson who was drafted 7 years ago. If you want to find your Dak Prescott, more power to you, but I'd rather be in position to get Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray or Tua or Lawrence instead when I am going into a season where I have absolutely no chance at a Super Bowl appearance anyway AND a bunch of bad contracts.

Bro, but it's a forum. Opinions is all we gots.

"What would you like to discuss now? My favorite color?"
- A Few Good Men

You can like yellow, you can even have an opinion that red is yellow, or that yellow is red, but red will be red, and yellow will be yellow regardless of what you like or think. Performance governs, not your opinion or preference.

That is called standards. The standard is, we draft only elite quarterbacks, and that has everything to do with their performance and nothing to do with opinion. That's the standard, and that is the job of the GM -- to set standards. His job is to say no to foolishness found amongst people and to enforce high standards, to be the unlikable guy, because there is $180 million payroll on the line, professional expectations, and winning. This year. Not next year, or five years from now. But every single year.

Getting personal again...not that I didn't expect it.

But you kind of started that and clearly don't disagree with my point since there is no attempt to argue for your boy.

On one hand trading up sucks because we have more holes than an acupuncture client, but if Haskins ends up being a blue chip franchise QB I don't think anyone will give 2 craps about what we gave up to get him.

Which is absolutely been my point throughout this. If you love a QB enough you do whatever it takes to get them, they are the biggest single franchise changers. Doesn't matter any of us love or hate the guy, it's all about how our scouts and FO have evaluated the player and how they will fit within whatever system we will be adopting.

Conversely if they are only kinda warm on a Haskins, Murray or Lock then they absolutely shouldn't be moving up or even taking them if they fall to them, they should be getting themselves in a better place to be able to get the person they are in love through FA, trading or future drafts, that means probably trading down.

You can like yellow, you can even have an opinion that red is yellow, or that yellow is red, but red will be red, and yellow will be yellow regardless of what you like or think. Performance governs, not your opinion or preference.

That is called standards. The standard is, we draft only elite quarterbacks, and that has everything to do with their performance and nothing to do with opinion. That's the standard, and that is the job of the GM -- to set standards. His job is to say no to foolishness found amongst people and to enforce high standards, to be the unlikable guy, because there is $180 million payroll on the line, professional expectations, and winning. This year. Not next year, or five years from now. But every single year.
Your entire theory revolves around the fact that opinions are useless, and your 1st rule is to draft only elite QBs... I mean just the word 'elite' is subjective as **** and could be argued to no end, nevermind the complexities involved to actually determine elite potential in a different league.

And then, you proceed to declare a guy drafted in the 3rd round elite while shitting on every NFL GMs opinion, as if Rudolph being elite is just as saying yellow is yellow... Whats worst is I dont even think you're trolling...

while ****ting on every NFL GMs opinion, as if Rudolph being elite is just as saying yellow is yellow...

NFL GMs' opinion is worthless. It is an equivalent of fkn around. If You and I are designing a Dolphins forum and decide we will use aqua, we do that because aqua is the standard.
We take several batches of blue-green and need to decide which one is the most aqua, at that point we are fkn around, joshing around. The opinion is worthless because all we need is some aqua, and not a particular aqua to accomplish the goal.
If we take a brown color, which is not aqua and does not meet the standard, and we are deciding which brown is the most aqua, our opinion is worthless, it is not aqua.
Opinions are worthless.

+1

And I'd like to add to your fervor for this organization to demand better of itself.

We as fans need to get aligned behind the organization. Divisiveness is tearing apart everything we love.

This board has been no exception over the years.

I posted a while ago that one of the biggest problems with being a Dolphins' fan is the other fans. We allow ourselves to become so divided on topics that we suck the enjoyment out of being a fan.

Our fanmanship goes beyond simple wins and losses, players, salaries and coaches. When we project our frustrations onto one another, we look for people to blame for what we don't control.

Our brotherhood could be better.

We can also demand much more of ourselves as we share in the success and failure of the Dolphins.

We need to hold ourselves to higher standards, as well. Align, share and enjoy.

NFL GMs' opinion is worthless. It is an equivalent of fkn around. If You and I are designing a Dolphins forum and decide we will use aqua, we do that because aqua is the standard.
We take several batches of blue-green and need to decide which one is the most aqua, at that point we are fkn around, joshing around. The opinion is worthless because all we need is some aqua, and not a particular aqua to accomplish the goal.
If we take a brown color, which is not aqua and does not meet the standard, and we are deciding which brown is the most aqua, our opinion is worthless, it is not aqua.
Opinions are worthless.
giphy-downsized.gif

On the highlighted above, I am with you against the world.

But even then, there are opinions,

For example, a head coach can see a performance and be of the opinion that said performance had to do with a strong team over elite showings.

Daunte Culpepper comes to mind. By all accounts, he seemed to be an elite passer. Many were of the opinion that Culpepper was elite mainly because of Randy Moss. And those many were mainly correct.

If opinions didn't matter, putting together a brain-trust or a commision or a cabinet or a board of directors or 9 justices on the supreme court, wouldn't matter (there are even opinions on constitutional law amongst the elite).

You better believe that in the war room come draft day, there will be opinions (plural). And we have to hope that Grier's final opinion, results in acquiring elite talent.

On the highlighted above, I am with you against the world.

But even then, there are opinions,

For example, a head coach can see a performance and be of the opinion that said performance had to do with a strong team over elite showings.

Daunte Culpepper comes to mind. By all accounts, he seemed to be an elite passer. Many were of the opinion that Culpepper was elite mainly because of Randy Moss. And those many were mainly correct.

If opinions didn't matter, putting together a brain-trust or a commision or a cabinet or a board of directors or 9 justices on the supreme court, wouldn't matter (there are even opinions on constitutional law amongst the elite).

You better believe that in the war room come draft day, there will be opinions (plural). And we have to hope that Grier's final opinion, results in acquiring elite talent.
That might be hoping for a lot

This year we have a chance to go grab a really good young QB that fits what we want to do on offense. If you want a guy that can stand in the pocket, make accurate throws to every part of the field, and not get rattled then Haskins is your man. I truly believe he will be very good.

Think of this, the first game he played in was Ohio state vs Michigan. In Ann Arbor, and he goes in 3rd quarter after barret got hurt, and proceeds to throw a beautiful pass down the sideline to convert a long 3rd down, then helped them win that game with a couple scoring drives. I think barret came back in iirc. That’s some serious guts. All buckeye fans knew right then he was special.

There’s some great looking prospects next year for sure but Haskins should be considered near the same level at least. And it’ll be a helluva lot easier to trade up this year then it will be next, because there’s no guarantee we even do worse than 6-10. Remember how bad we were in 2011? We drafted what 8th? Do we really believe with all the great coaching minds and all the experience and SB rings all over the coaching staff we’re really gonna go 2-14? Will that even be enough? What if we lose a coin toss? Forget all that. Go grab Haskins when everyone is looking at 2020.

That might be hoping for a lot

You’ve gotta keep the faith, brother.

I truly believe that putting the ONE man in charge is going to yield positive results.

He’s surrounded himself with a plethora of knowledgeable minds.

Keep the faith.

They will opine, people do that. They are selling something, they are fkn around. That's what opinions are. They have weight between people. You are selling, Im buying, Im selling, you are buying. Im trying to convince you and you are trying to convince me.

None of that has any impact on whether a qb is elite, which is what we need. For example, you telling me that Big 12 defenses are weak, and spread quarterbacks do not translate, has nothing to do with whether Mahomes or Mayfield are elite. You are simply selling me on something.

The less a GM is opinionated, the less he is fkn around, and the more he is focusing on what his job is, which is to simply enforce hard standards. Win now, get the elite QB, get elite talent, and let the coaches coach, develop depth charts, and win. GM's job is trivial, but extremely important.

That's why scouting is a data collection business, and you'll hear on draft day teams have about 125ish names on the board, out of over 400 draftees, because on data only so many players meet the standards. That is why there is a separate scouting department, those guys are not coaches, they they are strictly data and standards.

But in the Dolphins land, it's a mess. A GM opines on development of a QB on roster, or any player, which is solely coach's job. And a coach who is supposed to work with every player to get them better, and must develop depth charts which involves opinions, also opines on who should be drafted. It's a mess, the collaborative effort.

I don't hope. They keep selling. But no, there is no hope until standards are in place, because they are winging it.

the reason why Wilson became good is because of Pete Carrol believed in Wilson. team put all their chips in 1st rd pick so their chance are better for them to turn out good. just like Harris or thill17. they are getting or was getting 1st rd treatment. the GM doesn't want look bad. when they mess up a high pick.the good GM know when cut there lost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom