Prediction: Miami Deals Up For Haskins | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prediction: Miami Deals Up For Haskins

This year we have a chance to go grab a really good young QB that fits what we want to do on offense. If you want a guy that can stand in the pocket, make accurate throws to every part of the field, and not get rattled then Haskins is your man. I truly believe he will be very good.

Think of this, the first game he played in was Ohio state vs Michigan. In Ann Arbor, and he goes in 3rd quarter after barret got hurt, and proceeds to throw a beautiful pass down the sideline to convert a long 3rd down, then helped them win that game with a couple scoring drives. I think barret came back in iirc. That’s some serious guts. All buckeye fans knew right then he was special.

There’s some great looking prospects next year for sure but Haskins should be considered near the same level at least. And it’ll be a helluva lot easier to trade up this year then it will be next, because there’s no guarantee we even do worse than 6-10. Remember how bad we were in 2011? We drafted what 8th? Do we really believe with all the great coaching minds and all the experience and SB rings all over the coaching staff we’re really gonna go 2-14? Will that even be enough? What if we lose a coin toss? Forget all that. Go grab Haskins when everyone is looking at 2020.
I happen to believe Haskins will be very good. I think Miami will see that as well. Admittedly, trading up could be difficult. I do think it will be an interesting draft and perhaps very different than fans might expect.

Simply put, when you don't have a quarterback that has to be your primary need and objective in the offseason.

I happen to believe Haskins will be very good. I think Miami will see that as well. Admittedly, trading up could be difficult. I do think it will be an interesting draft and perhaps very different than fans might expect.

Simply put, when you don't have a quarterback that has to be your primary need and objective in the offseason.
We will get qb. Just hope we get right one. and have some good coach willing develop them

No thanks, I will stay put and take a DB or DT/DE. Then take Easton Stick later in the draft.

They will opine, people do that. They are selling something, they are fkn around. That's what opinions are. They have weight between people. You are selling, Im buying, Im selling, you are buying. Im trying to convince you and you are trying to convince me.

None of that has any impact on whether a qb is elite, which is what we need. For example, you telling me that Big 12 defenses are weak, and spread quarterbacks do not translate, has nothing to do with whether Mahomes or Mayfield are elite. You are simply selling me on something.

The less a GM is opinionated, the less he is fkn around, and the more he is focusing on what his job is, which is to simply enforce hard standards. Win now, get the elite QB, get elite talent, and let the coaches coach, develop depth charts, and win. GM's job is trivial, but extremely important.

That's why scouting is a data collection business, and you'll hear on draft day teams have about 125ish names on the board, out of over 400 draftees, because on data only so many players meet the standards. That is why there is a separate scouting department, those guys are not coaches, they they are strictly data and standards.

But in the Dolphins land, it's a mess. A GM opines on development of a QB on roster, or any player, which is solely coach's job. And a coach who is supposed to work with every player to get them better, and must develop depth charts which involves opinions, also opines on who should be drafted. It's a mess, the collaborative effort.

I don't hope. They keep selling. But no, there is no hope until standards are in place, because they are winging it.

See. A lot of people here think your opinion is that of a loons and the above is a very strong post. You make some very interesting points.

But you still contradict yourself a lot. A job can't be both trivial and extremely important.

And opinions are not always a someone selling, someone buying scenario. Consultants can give you data X and data Y and then provide an opinion. "IMO, for the puposes of the direction you want to move in, I believe data X is stronger than data Y."

The collaborative effort is the way it's always been done and it has produced results for many teams for many years. If that wasn't the case, why hasn't a billion dollar industry eliminated it altogether? You'd think they would've caught on by now.

Are they not attempting to set standards? The standard is there is one man in charge now and he and only he has to take all of that data, all of those opinions and make the final decision. That to me is setting a standard. Here. This your job and your job only. "Do your job."

And your stance is strong on data. But what's data, bro? How much strong data has been drafted over the years only to end up a bust.

The draft, as much as data X and data Y are overwhelming, is a gamble. We discuss and we debate and we are adamant on our opinions but I'll give you a fact: this. Whole. Thing. Is. A. Crapshoot.

The QB with the most rings was a 6th rounder- a 6th rounder. Was the standard on what is indubitably the best franchise in NFL history to find an elite QB in the 6th round and should it be moving forward?

I've said it before and I'll spew it ad nauseam: nothing in this world is black and white except death.

I think your post is very strong but it is only an opinion. And it matters because you make some fine points.

See how opinions can matter?

Last edited:
No. You never do sht like that!

The only quarterbacks worth drafting, ever, are elite quarterbacks. Elite quarterbacks must match up to previous elite quarterbacks who on rookie contract took their teams to playoffs and gave them a chance to win it all.
That is the only reason to draft a quarterback, in any round, to win a SB on rookie contract, and that is the only thing we are after.
In this draft there are three such quarterbacks, Murray, Haskins, Lock. Grier is close but risky.
So the only quarterbacks worth drafting are Murray, Haskins, and Lock, and nobody else.
We do not want to involve ourselves in developing garbage quarterbacks for a ten year haul, so that they maybe good in year 7. No, that's not how it's done.

You do not fk around, ever. Which is precisely the problem with Steve Ross, Dan Marino, Chris Grier, and other idiots.

Disagree....Super Bowl winner Brees was round 2, Russell Wilson was round 3, Brady round 6....what is that 8 rings?

The idea of wasting a pick in rounds 2-7 on a QB in a terrible QB draft is worse. You would be drafting him in hopes he becomes a backup. Why? Just to say we drafted a QB?

Look in the AFC alone. You got Mahomes, Luck, and Watson that are going to be in this league for 10 more years at least. Do you think some 4th rounder is going to take this team where we want them to go? We are gonna need a special QB to compete. We are about to enter into an era of some incredible QB play in the league. Do we want to waste draft capital on a Clayton Thorson, Mackenzie Milton, or the likes. We are gonna have to take our lumps this year unless by divine intervention we land Murray. Get that in your head right now. It will make it easier.

Would even Lock or Haskins hold the jock straps of the three I mentioned above? IMO, not even close.

It’s so funny how so many think QB’s never get mid-scouted and drafted in rounds 2-7... they do!

And that’s why you take a shot... every team misses on several picks in these rounds year after year... finding a QB is primary!

This year we have a chance to go grab a really good young QB that fits what we want to do on offense. If you want a guy that can stand in the pocket, make accurate throws to every part of the field, and not get rattled then Haskins is your man. I truly believe he will be very good.

Think of this, the first game he played in was Ohio state vs Michigan. In Ann Arbor, and he goes in 3rd quarter after barret got hurt, and proceeds to throw a beautiful pass down the sideline to convert a long 3rd down, then helped them win that game with a couple scoring drives. I think barret came back in iirc. That’s some serious guts. All buckeye fans knew right then he was special.

There’s some great looking prospects next year for sure but Haskins should be considered near the same level at least. And it’ll be a helluva lot easier to trade up this year then it will be next, because there’s no guarantee we even do worse than 6-10. Remember how bad we were in 2011? We drafted what 8th? Do we really believe with all the great coaching minds and all the experience and SB rings all over the coaching staff we’re really gonna go 2-14? Will that even be enough? What if we lose a coin toss? Forget all that. Go grab Haskins when everyone is looking at 2020.

I agree 100%

Disagree....Super Bowl winner Brees was round 2, Russell Wilson was round 3, Brady round 6....what is that 8 rings?

You named 3 guys in what? The past 20 years? Ever heard of needle in a haystack? Brees should have been a 1st round QB, Wilson had the Legion of Boom on the other side that won him his SB and Brady has the greatest coach ever and he is one of a kind. Also 6 of those 8 rings are his. I am not getting on you but the elite QB's are in the 1st round. Off the top of my head Goff, Ryan, Rodgers, Watson, Mahommes, Rivers, Manning, Wentz, Luck, I could go on.

The future of Cleveland, Jets, Baltimore and Buffalo ride on last years QB's and Mayfield sure looks the part.

Last edited:

Drew Brees sucked on a rookie contract. The Chargers rightfully got rid of his arse. They have to perform on contract. Drew Brees did not do that. He failed. That is the standard, you get rid of them when they do not perform. If they figure it out somewhere else later, good for them. We are not gonna put up with that. Just like Tannehill, he failed us. Gase, failed us. Grier, failed on contract, for four years. Good riddance!

Brady is an exception. You expect a GM to produce another Brady? You are being unreasonable. Russell Wilson slipped.

You cannot expect an elite QB to slip. That is unreasonable. Gotta go get them, in the first round. We have to be 100% certain.

See how opinions can matter?

There is no opinion. We need a QB who will win on a rookie contract -- take us to playoffs and give us a chance to win the SB. That is called an elite quarterback -- a phenom. We need that.

There have been many quarterbacks who have done that, so we do not need a particular quarterback. It is not just one guy who does that. We just need one like that. That is called a "class" of quarterbacks who are or were elite. We do not need a particular QB like Tua, we just need one like Roethlisberger, Eli, Luck, Wilson, Newton, Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Kapernick. One like that. One that is elite.

Whether a QB is elite must be determined prior to the draft. We can never know whether a quarterback actually will be elite in the league -- will actually win playoff games and take us to the SB. We are not clairvoyant.

However, on draft day, before entering the league, we can know whether a QB matches up to the previous great quarterbacks above, on performance solely! And if he does, he is elite on draft day, and that is all that matters!
Performance, draft day, and GM's job is done. The rest is up to the coaches, you give him to the coaches, and let him play. And there is no opinion. Performance governs. It's not a crapshoot. You know what and why you are drafting. It goes back to the ultimate goal of winning the SB. You get an elite QB on draft day. What happens afterwards is of no moment, because we are not clairvoyant.

There is no opinion. We need a QB who will win on a rookie contract -- take us to playoffs and give us a chance to win the SB. That is called an elite quarterback -- a phenom. We need that.

There have been many quarterbacks who have done that, so we do not need a particular quarterback. It is not just one guy who does that. We just need one like that. That is called a "class" of quarterbacks who are or were elite. We do not need a particular QB like Tua, we just need one like Roethlisberger, Eli, Luck, Wilson, Newton, Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Watson, Kapernick. One like that. One that is elite.

Whether a QB is elite must be determined prior to the draft. We can never know whether a quarterback actually will be elite in the league -- will actually win playoff games and take us to the SB. We are not clairvoyant.

However, on draft day, before entering the league, we can know whether a QB matches up to the previous great quarterbacks above, on performance solely! And if he does, he is elite on draft day, and that is all that matters!
Performance, draft day, and GM's job is done. The rest is up to the coaches, you give him to the coaches, and let him play. And there is no opinion. Performance governs. It's not a crapshoot. You know what and why you are drafting. It goes back to the ultimate goal of winning the SB. You get an elite QB on draft day. What happens afterwards is of no moment, because we are not clairvoyant.

QB, brother. It goes without sayin. I'm with cha.

But cha lost me on knowing what you are drafting.

No one knows the day of the draft exactly what you are getting. Boom or bust or boilerplate, you haven't a clue until it's game time. And even then, it might take a year or two.

If we can't agree on that, I dunno what to tell yah.

If we can't agree on that, I dunno what to tell yah.

No it's not like that. That's wrong. Your thinking means that Brad Kaaya or Josh Dobbs was worth a #1 overall pick, because you think a team just needs to take a stab based on someone's opinion. That's wrong. It's not like that.
I already explained it, the QB must match up to previous great players. That's how it is.

Drew Brees sucked on a rookie contract. The Chargers rightfully got rid of his arse. They have to perform on contract. Drew Brees did not do that. He failed. That is the standard, you get rid of them when they do not perform. If they figure it out somewhere else later, good for them. We are not gonna put up with that. Just like Tannehill, he failed us. Gase, failed us. Grier, failed on contract, for four years. Good riddance!

Brady is an exception. You expect a GM to produce another Brady? You are being unreasonable. Russell Wilson slipped.

You cannot expect an elite QB to slip. That is unreasonable. Gotta go get them, in the first round. We have to be 100% certain.

You think Brees was a failure in SD? Wow, I think his torn shoulder was the reason he left and we were too foolish to get him. From where I am standing Brees is a Helluva lot better than Rivers and could possibly have two rings if not for that terrible call against them in the NFC Championship game. But I agree with the rest.

No it's not like that. That's wrong. Your thinking means that Brad Kaaya or Josh Dobbs was worth a #1 overall pick, because you think a team just needs to take a stab based on someone's opinion. That's wrong. It's not like that.
I already explained it, the QB must match up to previous great players. That's how it is.

You have my head spinning. I think we can all agree on what an elite QB should be but still a crapshoot. Ryan Leaf was highly thought of and it was a big debate with Manning for the first pick. What is your criteria? Amount of starts? Wins? Completion percentage? Hell Brady split time in college with Henson. We all know what we think a great QB should be but no guarantees. Do you like Haskins? Murray? Tua or Fromm fit the bill? You expect experts to know but experts fail all the time. The Pats passed over Brady 5 times!
Matchup with great players. How?

It's not like that.

But you don't know what you are getting. Why is that difficult to take into account?

You can match the data, intangibles, etc to previous great players and still go bust. You can't agree to that?

And by the same account, you can draft a QB that's never been seen before and hit the lotto.

By your standards, Largo, this is an exact science when it's so very far from. That shouldn't have to be debated.

It's smart to operate the way that you are stating. That's why I said you make good points. Drafting a QB that compares as much as possible to an elie NFL QB makes a world of sense.

But that doesn't mean it's going to bear fruit.

What is it that you want to do at 13? Maybe I missed the post wherein you said so but what is your take on what we should do with our #1?

Back
Top Bottom