Preseason is over the season starts next week. NOW your looking at receivers? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preseason is over the season starts next week. NOW your looking at receivers?

Exactly. Its like the GAPING hole at WR didn't even occur to him except as an afterthought. That's the type of management that gets my blood boiling.

Every time someone makes that point I wonder if it ever occurred to them that it very well could be that Philbin told Ireland he didn't need top wide receivers to run this offense effectively. Therefore, Ireland waits until much later to address the need there. I know I've read several times that Philbin's priority preference for WR was low compared to other teams because of the offensive style we will run.

Still, I personally would have wanted at least one dependable 1000 yd capable receiver on the roster. It could be they thought they had that with Chad Johnson. The fact that they let Johnson go, despite an obvious need there, should tell us more about what the priorities were for the organization as a whole. Not just Ireland's priorities.

(Shrugs) I think we need to see how this offense runs in real games that count before we can really make judgements like these. We need to pay attention to what our offense is really trying to do in order to move the ball and to score points. Once we see what that is, try to estimate whether or not we have the right personnel in place to do that.

Once we've done that, we can start making INFORMED JUDGEMENTS about things that appear mysterious to us. For me, the jury is still out on the situation and I have a 'wait and see' attitude. :ponder:

Last edited by a moderator:
In this scenario Home Depot was the draft. The draft was deep at WR and JI waited til the end of the draft to address or lack of talent at the position.
Right... WR was our only need. We didn't need a QB?

The draft is not home depot - it's more like Ebay with limited inventory. With what I know now I'd rather have Tannehill than any receiver we could have got because we'd have Moore throwing to him. I'm a fan of Moore's and thankful for what he did last year but he doesn't fit this system and wasn't our long term answer at QB.

As bad as our WR situation is now I like having RT and waiting for a WR than waiting for a QB.

Every time someone makes that point I wonder if it ever occurred to them that it very well could be that Philbin told Ireland he didn't need top wide receivers to run this offense effectively. Therefore, Ireland waits until much later to address the need there. I know I've read several times that Philbin's priority preference for WR was low compared to other teams because of the offensive style we will run.

Still, I personally would have wanted at least one dependable 1000 yd capable receiver on the roster. It could be they thought they had that with Chad Johnson. The fact that they let Johnson go, despite an obvious need there, should tell us more about what the priorities were for the organization as a whole. Not just Ireland's priorities.

(Shrugs) I think we need to see how this offense runs in real games that count before we can really make judgements like these. For me, the jury is still out on the situation and I have a 'wait and see' attitude.

No idea where this crazy theory that we dont need WRs because we run a WCO came from. Ive been seeing it floating around here ever since the Marshall trade and it gets more retarded every time I hear of it.

B.t.w. who do we replace ierland with? i AM NOT advocating for Ierland or saying that he has done a good job but what is the alternative? wheres the stud GM we will replace him with. should we give a fellow fan the job (mabye the guy who started the "we want orton" chant) everyone holds his drafting against him like there is any ability to it more than throwing darts at the wall. i know everyone is better than him b/c they killed with their fantasy teams (easy to do when you are not spending millions) but what is a good GM in the NFL? anything more than someone who has gotten lucky with their picks. (remember Jimmy Jhonson had to be talked into drafting Emmett Smith. he wanted Junior Seau_)
Great pair of posts.

I'm with you. I am not a huge fan of Ireland but I don't see a lot of alternatives out there either. If we can't find something better and we just change him for an equivalent GM we lose - if for no other reason the loss of continuity in the organization.

Not everything can be fixed in one off-season, and not every pick, or pickup, is a hit...next offseason, with our 1st RD QB having 1 year´s worth of NFL Experience, we´re gonna load up, count on it!!

No idea where this crazy theory that we dont need WRs because we run a WCO came from. Ive been seeing it floating around here ever since the Marshall trade and it gets more retarded every time I hear of it.

(Shrugs) Its not my theory, dude. I admit that I don't know what Philbin is trying to do with this personnel grouping. Do you?

i see alot of "armchair gm" s calling a decision stupid, but offering no solutions, its not like Ireland can drive down to the Home Depot parking lot and Fitzgerald and Cruz type receivers are standing around yelling "trabajo! aqui!" where is the move? what receivers? ppl are talking like the lions GM called drunk and said "ill trade you jared odrick for calvin jhonson straight up!" and ireland hung up the phone. you know he shoped Marshall. 3rd was the best he could get. which should tell you the WR market is weak. NE made it to the super bowl with nominal recievers. fitzgerald watched the playoffs from kolbs couch

Free agency and the draft featured a number of serviceable receivers.

As for WRs not being valuable, consider that Marshall went for two 3rds even considering his extensive off the field history. And youre gonna have to fill me in on these recent teams making SBs with below average receivers. Last I can think of is the Seahawks.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

(Shrugs) Its not my theory, dude. I admit that I don't know what Philbin is trying to do with this personnel grouping. Do you?

Not exactly. But I do know its going to be nothing resembling a good offense.

Right... WR was our only need. We didn't need a QB?

The draft is not home depot - it's more like Ebay with limited inventory. With what I know now I'd rather have Tannehill than any receiver we could have got because we'd have Moore throwing to him. I'm a fan of Moore's and thankful for what he did last year but he doesn't fit this system and wasn't our long term answer at QB.

As bad as our WR situation is now I like having RT and waiting for a WR than waiting for a QB.

That's the cool thing about the draft, you get to pick more than one player. Nobody is saying we shouldnt have drafted Tannehill and instead should've taken a WR. What we're saying is...how about taking a WR in the 2nd round, 3rd round, hell 4th round. We waited until what the 6th, 7th round to take a WR? There's also this crazy thing called Free Agency. Pretty sure there were some WR's capable of out-producing the likes of Naanee. Then again I wouldnt expect a Dolphins fan to realize we can indeed sign free agents because when players know your organization is clueless they tend not to sign with you. But at the end of the day money talks and apparently we didnt try too hard to replace our only weapon in the passing game and that QB you're so thankful for is the one who's going to suffer. But hey, we have a turnstile of a RT we picked up in the 2nd round. He'll help Tannehill MUCH more than a decent WR would've. End sarcasm

I'm still thrilled that we took Michael Egnew over TY Hilton, a kid who played college ball right here in Miami.

I think the best part is that Ireland then went and tried to get the Colts to trade us Hilton as part of the Vontae trade.

:driveby:

So we end up with:

Davone Bess- a starter we already had
Hartline- a starter we already had
Matthews- a guy we drafted
Naanee- a guy we got in offseason
Armstrong- the one guy we just picked up now but have been in trade negotiations for james jones

This thread is referring to one guy who is our fifth WR right now.

Do I like Naanee. absolutely not! but to suggest we are looking for our WR's now is a bit rediculous.

B.t.w. who do we replace ierland with? i AM NOT advocating for Ierland or saying that he has done a good job but what is the alternative? wheres the stud GM we will replace him with. should we give a fellow fan the job (mabye the guy who started the "we want orton" chant) everyone holds his drafting against him like there is any ability to it more than throwing darts at the wall. i know everyone is better than him b/c they killed with their fantasy teams (easy to do when you are not spending millions) but what is a good GM in the NFL? anything more than someone who has gotten lucky with their picks. (remember Jimmy Jhonson had to be talked into drafting Emmett Smith. he wanted Junior Seau_)

carl peterson= enough said.

Jeff Ireland foolishly believes wideout is not a priority. That's just his outdated mindset.

Not everything can be fixed in one off-season, and not every pick, or pickup, is a hit...next offseason, with our 1st RD QB having 1 year´s worth of NFL Experience, we´re gonna load up, count on it!!

I agree everything cannot be e fixed at once but we did not addresss receiver until the sixth round

I agree everything cannot be e fixed at once but we did not addresss receiver until the sixth round

This. There weren't many great wideouts in the middle rounds, yet we continued to get defensive linemen and linebackers.

Back
Top Bottom