Profootballtalk: Report: Dolphins Want Minkah Fitzpatrick To Play Safety Long-term | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Profootballtalk: Report: Dolphins Want Minkah Fitzpatrick To Play Safety Long-term

He looked the part last year as the boundary opposite of X. Needs to get that head around more consistently, but he was easily the second best option at CB.

I don’t see the rush to change him to S fulltime when you have 2 capable guys you cannot cut on the roster and currently no other option on the boundary.

Please don’t say it will stunt his growth. Minkah plays like an 8 year vet out there and his work ethic is unmatched.

He was passable at playing the boundary. The need for him there was more of factor of having no other options though. I do like him in the slot though. I can see making him a "full time safety"
but still being creative enough to play him all over the place

Call me crazy, but I don't think he's nearly as good a safety as he is playing DB.

He looked the part last year as the boundary opposite of X. Needs to get that head around more consistently, but he was easily the second best option at CB.

I don’t see the rush to change him to S fulltime when you have 2 capable guys you cannot cut on the roster and currently no other option on the boundary.

Please don’t say it will stunt his growth. Minkah plays like an 8 year vet out there and his work ethic is unmatched.

I don't think it will stunt Minkah's growth to play him at CB short term. I *do* think it makes the secondary worse as a unit to play him there. It's immensely smarter, imo, to address the freaking 2nd boundary CB issue through the draft/FA than to just use the in-house issue of Fitzpatrick because he's the best option right now. The safety tandem of Jones and McDonald just doesn't work against capable QBs.

Have to say I’m a little torn. We have needed a FS for a long time and he can be a great one.

On the other hand he looks like the ideal DB for the scheme I’m hoping we will play. Fast enough to hang with a WR, nimble enough to cover a slot guy, big enough for a TE. Smart enough to see the run/screen and strong enough to blow it up.

That is a lot more than what I need from my FS. Also mentioned many teams projected him as a nfl CB instead of FS.

I don't think it will stunt Minkah's growth to play him at CB short term. I *do* think it makes the secondary worse as a unit to play him there. It's immensely smarter, imo, to address the freaking 2nd boundary CB issue through the draft/FA than to just use the in-house issue of Fitzpatrick because he's the best option right now. The safety tandem of Jones and McDonald just doesn't work against capable QBs.

I mean I have blocked out most of last year but I honestly didn’t think the safety play was all that bad with Jones and Mcdonald back there.

In fact I like Minkah more in the middle of the field as somewhat of a new aged Rover than I do as just a centerfield type. I feel like you waste him a bit by doing that. He processes info so quick and really makes up for our deficiency at LB.

But yea on the boundary I thought he was fine and with a year of knowing thats what he’ll be doing, could make significant strides in to becoming a damn good CB.

Really good player and a good kid.

Wait a minute.

The Miami DOLPHINS want to use a player where he can do the most good for the team? And KEEP him there? Not play a LT at guard and stunt his growth for a year? Not give a TE whose biggest weakness is blocking multiple blocking assignments? Not put an established slot receiver in a position where he needs to utilize speed he doesn't have to block for bubble screens, and then look dumbfounded because the play didn't work? Not use your short-yardage back on runs designed to go to the outside, and run your explosive speed back on inside runs?

The **** you say. Things are looking up.
I’m so stoked

Minkah's value is that he will be above average just about anywhere you put him. I dont think he'll be elite at any one position though... I expect that he'll be moved around a lot in the defensive backfield.
Curious to know what you have seen so early in his career to make you think he wont be elite?

Wait a minute.

The Miami DOLPHINS want to use a player where he can do the most good for the team? And KEEP him there? Not play a LT at guard and stunt his growth for a year? Not give a TE whose biggest weakness is blocking multiple blocking assignments? Not put an established slot receiver in a position where he needs to utilize speed he doesn't have to block for bubble screens, and then look dumbfounded because the play didn't work? Not use your short-yardage back on runs designed to go to the outside, and run your explosive speed back on inside runs?

The **** you say. Things are looking up.

well....that is literally not what the article said. In fact, it said the short term is cloudy due to McDonald and Jones. Just long term they see him more at safety.

Fantastic! Fitzpatrick has the range and ball skills to be a dynamite FS in the mold of Ed Reed, and that type of FS has far more value than anything we could achieve playing him in the slot or even boundary CB. It's hard to find a good FS and takeaways are such a big part of the game these days. Let's put our best players in their best spots, particularly an impact takeaway spot like FS. Also, it allows us to put our best LOS players near the LOS.

We need more DB's to run this system, no doubt. And this system sometimes runs 3 safeties, so there is a need for him at FS. Let's concentrate on finding CB's and watch Fitzgerald begin to flourish as a FS.

Whatever "position" they define it as my eyes told me Minkah excelled near the LOS and definitely attacking the ball... That said having him play deep center field would IMO negate a ton of play ability/instinct this kid demonstrated.

Point is -- this is one of the first places where we will see the difference this coaching staff makes
as I anticipate they find a way to utilize Minkah that maximizes his play potential...
If they don't -- well we're in trouble.

Last edited:
He's the kind of player that his title and depth chart placement will be FA, but he'll be used around the field and put in places to he a ball hawk.

His FS play in preseason was really good. His play diagnosis is top notch as evident of his pick 6 against Minnesota, and his coverage is tight even though he has a weakness in turning his head. Big things in the future for this young man I predict he's going to be a better Devin Mccourty.

Now all Miami has to do, is find a SS for the long term. Jones and McDonald could be playing their last season in Miami in 2019. I expect 2-3 DB's to be drafted come April.

If Fitz is, in fact, a FS, that makes CB a top need.

Fantastic! Fitzpatrick has the range and ball skills to be a dynamite FS in the mold of Ed Reed, and that type of FS has far more value than anything we could achieve playing him in the slot or even boundary CB. It's hard to find a good FS and takeaways are such a big part of the game these days. Let's put our best players in their best spots, particularly an impact takeaway spot like FS. Also, it allows us to put our best LOS players near the LOS.

We need more DB's to run this system, no doubt. And this system sometimes runs 3 safeties, so there is a need for him at FS. Let's concentrate on finding CB's and watch Fitzgerald begin to flourish as a FS.

I was with you until you mentioned the GREAT Ed Reed. Fitz may turn out to be a good FS. But he ain't no Ed Reed or anything close to it.
I get it! You got a bit excited and spoke out loud. All's forgiven.

Back
Top Bottom