Profootballtalk: Report: Dolphins Want Minkah Fitzpatrick To Play Safety Long-term | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Profootballtalk: Report: Dolphins Want Minkah Fitzpatrick To Play Safety Long-term

well....that is literally not what the article said. In fact, it said the short term is cloudy due to McDonald and Jones. Just long term they see him more at safety.

My frustration with the franchise spills out at random intervals and unexpected times.

I'm sure that he will be responsible for a variety of assignments in Graham's D, but he has much more upside as a safety.

His corner play left a lot to be desired.

Having said that, he played extremely well for a rookie, being asked to do so much.

Now all Miami has to do, is find a SS for the long term. Jones and McDonald could be playing their last season in Miami in 2019. I expect 2-3 DB's to be drafted come April.
Landel Collins looks like he’s gonna hit the market. The Giants would be stupid to let him walk pair him and Mink up...Roll Tide

Draft a CB in the 3rd...hell, if Greedy Williams is there at 13 and the top DL prospects are gone, I can sign on to taking him. That one draft pick upgrades two positions. Boundary CB and FS.

If anyone knows how to use the DBs, well, we have the perfect coach.

I like that Fitz is being aggressive towards an answer. I think that shows that he wants to be the best at his position and wants to know where he should focus his offseason efforts 100%.

I like that.

We need a lot of corners regardless of Minkah.

Have him listed at FS and use him all over the place to the best of his abilities.

He may not be Ed Reed, but how about Earl Thomas?
Not saying he's the second coming, it's obviously too early to tell but their rookie stats are comparable. One can only dream.
Reed Fitzpatrick.JPG

I was with you until you mentioned the GREAT Ed Reed. Fitz may turn out to be a good FS. But he ain't no Ed Reed or anything close to it.
I get it! You got a bit excited and spoke out loud. All's forgiven.
Let's not say no just yet. Reed may have been the very best, but Fitzpatrick has those same physical skills. All he lacks is the savvy veteran experience. He may or may not develop it, but he has exceptional ball skills, fantastic range, wonderful anticipation and ability to catch in traffic, sound tackling, physical presence, durability, and he is a grinder who will puts in the work to learn opposing QB's. His ceiling is extremely high. He has game-changing potential.

As a FS, he dominates the QB's decision making. It's a lot harder to avoid throwing at a FS than a CB. He single-handedly can take away seam threats, free up the defense to stop the run, allow either CB to play tight coverage as he provides a safety net, and can nearly shut down the long pass. All of that in addition to providing a last line of defense and generating takeaways, which are his primary two responsibilities. FS is a position that can have tremendous impact on a defense, and something we've sorely lacked for many years.

We need a lot of corners regardless of Minkah.

Have him listed at FS and use him all over the place to the best of his abilities.

He may not be Ed Reed, but how about Earl Thomas?
I really liked both top safeties coming out that year (Eric Berry was the other one). I was advocating for taking Earl Thomas actually, and stated that he may even have the higher ceiling and be the more productive of the two. I see Fitzgerald as a bigger, faster and more physical Earl Thomas type.

One thing that Reed had that Minkah doesn't have at the moment was a great front 7 in front of him. I'm not taking anything away from Reed. He's a Cane and I'm a Canes fan but having a great pass rush in front of you helps a lot. This is why I don't want a corner at 13. We need pass rushers. A great pass rush helps the DB's way more than the other way around.

Call me crazy, but I don't think he's nearly as good a safety as he is playing DB.

I don't think you're crazy at all. I thought he played the slot far better than any other positions. His play at safety was pretty meh honestly.

Last edited:
Let's not say no just yet. Reed may have been the very best, but Fitzpatrick has those same physical skills. All he lacks is the savvy veteran experience. He may or may not develop it, but he has exceptional ball skills, fantastic range, wonderful anticipation and ability to catch in traffic, sound tackling, physical presence, durability, and he is a grinder who will puts in the work to learn opposing QB's. His ceiling is extremely high. He has game-changing potential.

As a FS, he dominates the QB's decision making. It's a lot harder to avoid throwing at a FS than a CB. He single-handedly can take away seam threats, free up the defense to stop the run, allow either CB to play tight coverage as he provides a safety net, and can nearly shut down the long pass. All of that in addition to providing a last line of defense and generating takeaways, which are his primary two responsibilities. FS is a position that can have tremendous impact on a defense, and something we've sorely lacked for many years.

Honestly, I saw a flat foot guy that was out of position and took a few bad angles when he played the position for us. Of Course, he was just thrusted back there when guys were hurt. I get that! But, I personally think he's a better DB for us than FS. I hope I'm wrong but based off the limited sample that's what i saw.

Back
Top Bottom